3D-CG Appleseed TV anime coming soon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In addition to the mutitude of other new anime recently announced as in-production in Japan, another iteration of Masamune ("Ghost in the Shell") Shirow's Appleseed has been <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-05/masamune-shirow-appleseed-tv-series-pre-announced">slated for a TV anime series</a>. Much like the Appleseed movie franchise, it will be animated using state of the art 3D CG (computer) techniques, while the the seiyuu cast includes the highly acclaimed Romi Paku, famous for her leading performance as Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist (as well as voicing popular characters in Bleach, Naruto and Claymore).

I still say that at the moment the effects they are trying to do just don't work. The cel shading while from distances looks quite good any form of close up looks cheap and low quality, especially hair which seems to look more like feathers. As well as how it looks the body movements always seem extremely awkward, stiff and unnatural where as with good animators in 2D animation that CAN be avoided.

And now they're going to attempt this on a TV budget? Well good luck to them...

Appleseed tv series

Well I for one am delighted that finally they are bringing out a tv series.As a fan of the 2004 movie and the manga .I can't wait for the Ex-machina movie to be released.Also when you consider what they did with the ghost in the shell movies and re-imagined them into the stand alone complex series and oav solid state society,then there is every reason to hopeful.As for the cgi aspect ,there is hardly any anime movie ,oav or series that does'nt have some cgi in it to a greater or lesser degree.So we can only hope that as they use more 3d cgi that it gets better and more lifelike as this does seem to be the way more anime production companies are likely to go.

The thing being is that in the case of these Appleseed movies they don't seem to be going for lifelike at all and more like that they want to replace the hand drawn aspect.

To me that would be a great shame because although CG can work when meshed in well wwhen mixed with the hand drawn animation it seems to lack a certain individual flair. Something was already somewhat lost from the switch from hand painted cels to digital colouring and although it does have it's advantages like a crisper, cleaner and more steady image there seemed something more clinical about it and the small errors in the animation that were once quite charming now just seem something wasn't checked on the computer.

I guess it could be ok... maybe. :p

Wasn't there supposed to be CG series of Dominion at some point? What happened to that?

I was actually quite interested in the idea of an Appleseed TV series, but with CGI? I'm hoping it will just be used for mecha rather than character designs, and as Sy also pointed out, doing CG on TV budget sound like trouble.

I hope they do a good job, as i must admit, i've not liked the "film" and the original OVA as they strayed alot from the original work. I can only hope they go a Ghost in the shell and make a good series.

The film was a marvellous piece of shiny sci-fi goodness apart from the jarring character animation that Sy mentioned. That said, the shiny sci-fi goodness needs a high budget - if it can make the transfer from cinema to TV as effectively as GitS did with the SAC, I won't be too disappointed.

Ushio said:
I guess it could be ok... maybe. :p

Wasn't there supposed to be CG series of Dominion at some point? What happened to that?

There was one episode made of Dominion Tank S.W.A.T. and if you were lucky enough to not watch it, then consider yourself lucky. Don't get me wrong, I love the Tank Police but that was a show that casts a blight on the franchise. There are a million ways to describe it but you can sum it up quite well in two words - "bad" and "ugly".

I'd rather they drew the characters and used CG for any flash effects but they may pull it off, fingers crossed I'll be proved overly skeptical.

Back