4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

The BFI have announced their first UHD release...

the_seventh_seal_uhd_b.jpg

I was about to post this myself - another label that’s taken the UHD plunge before Criterion.

The BFI also released a Blu-Ray (Salo) before Criterion entered that market but, same as it ever was, Criterion are not far behind them...
<em>Citizen Kane</em> to Lead Criterion’s First 4K Slate

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7494-citizen-kane-to-lead-criterion-s-first-4k-slate#
We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, and A Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.
The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano, starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!

That’s quite the line-up! I wonder how/if these will trickle into the UK market.

Last edited:
I imagine Citizen Kane at the very least will get a UK release, it was seemingly part of the same deal that gave us Criterion's tremendous release of The Magnificent Ambersons

Indeed, quite an interesting slate. Don't know about the others but I think Mulholland Drive was shown, with a new restoration, at the Cannes Film Festival this year (under Cannes Classics) and the promotional materials mention it was collaboration between Criterion and StudioCanal so I wouldn't be surprised if the latter released it here.

Interview with Jean-Pierre Boiget, Director of Operations at Studiocanal below:

Yeah I meant collectors. Are we seeing the same thing it still say's sold out for me?
Just had another look and the entertainment store on ebay still has preorders available.

Easily one of the best horror films ever but when it comes to Carpenter nothing beats Big Trouble in Little China in my eyes 😂
Admittedly I need to see more Carpenter films. I've seen this (too many times to count), Halloween and Escape from New York. All were great films. I might just blind buy the other 4k releases and marathon them one day.

Admittedly I need to see more Carpenter films. I've seen this (too many times to count), Halloween and Escape from New York. All were great films. I might just blind buy the other 4k releases and marathon them one day.
A lot of people swear by 'They Live' but I just couldn't get into it. It's so slow to get going and show what the actual plot is! And I say that as someone who likes slow burn films.

I thought I would check out the Entertainment stores shop on ebay and to my confusion they have the other carpenter films collectors editions up for pre-order? example

I am a bit confused.

Back