4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

Also Robocop

Arrow Video going full steam ahead with 4k has kind of messed me up. I wanted to buy the Vengence trilogy and Ringu trilogy boxsets but now I find myself pulling back "just incase"
I know what you mean. In terms of Asian films the ones I know of that have 4K restorations from Arrow were Ringu, Gamera Heisei Trilogy, Irezumi, Sailor Suit & Machine Girl, and Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare.

I'm sure Arrow will upgrade the Vengeance Trilogy before too long - they've already upgraded Oldboy and the other two got UHD releases in Germany not too long ago. I think the chances are slim for the others and practically zero for those that were released after they already started putting out UHDs (like Sailor Suit).

I don't think there's many releases in 88 Films' library from 4K masters. None of those that'd interest me anyway. But I would pay a lot for a 4K Come Drink with Me.

--

Not seen any of these mentioned yet:

81BeRSID1HL._SY550_.jpg

I have an open question about UHD setups if I may. I've got some money coming in from my birthday next week (followed by the council tax rebate) and thinking of getting a dedicated UHD player with all the Dolby Vision etc, bells and whistles which my PS5 wouldn't have. But I'm also in the market for a region free blu-ray player by itself too.

So my question is do you think it's worth buying for an all in one UHD player (I am eyeing the Sony X700 or Panasonic UB820) that has been premodified and never look back. Or would it in the long run be better to keep a UHD player and a multi region player (or ps3) as seperate? Between all the players I have researched the final cost would actually be identical regardless so that isn't a factor.

My situation would be to ideally keep as few players as possible but I'm also concerned that if there is ever a problem with the player in one category then it would be a larger cost to replace for loss of one needed function.

I got a pre-modded UB820 and haven't had any issues, though the main reason I got it in the first place was to consolidate my separate 4K UHD and multiregion Blu-Ray players. TPS included a 3 year warranty as well.
Oh there is a 3 year warranty? The TPS one is the one I am looking at so that actually helps a lot thank you :)

I’ve been thinking about getting a dedicated UHD player with Multi Region capabilities so I’ll check TPS out. My Sony Multi-Region BD player is still serving me well for now, though if I do upgrade I can hopefully sell it on.

Last edited:
Done I have bought the Panasonic UB820 multiregion version. Expensive but with my dirty pair kickstarter on it's way this year coupled with my TV's features being underutilised by the PS5. I think it was a good one time purchase.

I didn't go for the cheaper Sony X700 after reading that dolby vision had to be manually turned on by a movie basis, also the panasonic has analogue audio jacks which could be a good inbetween if I ever want to upgrade my soundbar with speakers.

Yeah I am always anxious with expenive purchases but I am happy with this.

@Vincentdante I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the model as that’s the one I’m looking into currently too.
It arrives on thursday. I'll post some impressions though be aware it's being delivered to my mums address as I am staying with her while she is sick so my first "tests" will be on a 1080p display unfortunately. I have also ordered Dokuro chan from UP1 which I know is region A which will make for a worthwhile show to break in the multi region part of it.

Once I have it though I'll post pics and try to answer any questions I can if you have any :)

I got my UB820 a year ago, and with the caveat that I've never felt the need or had the ability to do direct comparisons with another player, it is excellent and was certainly the best model on the market when I did my research back then. It has both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ capabilities and the HDR Optimiser is useful as well.

UP1 have cencelled my order for Dokuro chan which sucks. It means I have to wait for the refund to clear before picking out another region A blu-ray since I made an expensive purchase.

The expensive purchase itself has apparently shipped though so still hyped.

It arrived a day early

20220504_163235.jpg

It's a very nice blu-ray player that doesn't feel cheap in the slightest

20220504_163255.jpg

Instructions for changing the region, it is very easy to do. They also sent me a copy of Blue Planet 2 as part of the bundle. I have quickly tested it with one of my Anime Limited blu-rays and it loads while in region B and doesn't while in region A as expected.

I do wish UP1 hadn't cancelled Dokuro chan so that I had a region A blu-ray to try it out with, but I guess it works as intended with the AL disc regardless.

20220504_165850.jpg

here it is set up under my mums TV (I swapped out her blu-ray player). As you can see it's very glossy and reflective so try to be careful touching only the sides of the unit to avoid leaving those fingerprints.

I effectively triple-dipped on Mad Max, having already owned the Shout BD and Kino UHD releases. Never owned the other films though.

I still have a large UHD to buy list with the most expensive ones being Lord of the Rings, Mad Max, Godfather and Indiana Jones collections.

I managed to get the IJ set for a good price via Amazon.IT. I had ordered the deluxe edition for The Godfather Trilogy but it arrived damaged so was sent back and refunded - will pick it up again eventually though.

Ah that's a shame, it looked like a nice set. I've recently pre-ordered the UHD for The Witch ever since I saw the lighthouse (which is good that I did since it looks to have sold out on HMV now).

Tbh since I got my 4k tv I've found myself way more interested in movies again (though I still enjoy my games and anime of course).

Yeah as of late there’s been some great UHD releases, especially with smaller labels branching out and putting out their own. Shame Arrow have had so many issues though as of late.

Back