Afro Samurai coming to Bravo in May

DaNiMe said:
Ramen89 said:
Wanime? Could work I suppose.

Hmm, sounds pretty good to me, seriously, I was trying to think of something but nothing sounded right.. at least that somehow fits : D.

Well, it was still made in Japan, and animated by the Japanese artists at GONZO, so, in my opinon, Afro Samurai counts as an anime.

CitizenGeek said:
DaNiMe said:
Ramen89 said:
Wanime? Could work I suppose.

Hmm, sounds pretty good to me, seriously, I was trying to think of something but nothing sounded right.. at least that somehow fits : D.

Well, it was still made in Japan, and animated by the Japanese artists at GONZO, so, in my opinon, Afro Samurai counts as an anime.

And it was a Manga as well.

It was because an American TV station ordered it before a Japanese station, does'nt make it any less an anime.

I didn't know it was a manga. All I thought I knew what that it was animated in Japan, but had an American director, or some part of the production was with American people, it that isn't so then it is most certainly anime :)

Ramen89 said:
Yawn. I don't even consider Afro Samurai to be anime anyway but whatever.

You are so wrong... I mean, you're all entitled to your opinions but... it was created and written by a Japanese Animator, Takashi Okazaki (1st sign of its Japanese origin)... who originally made the Afro Samurai Manga series (2nd sign of its Japanese origin)... he created the characters to all be Western because of his love for Western culture and Hip-Hop... it was Animated in Japan (3rd sign of Japanese origin) by GONZO (an anime company) and even the sound recording... was done in Japan (whoa... more Japanese origin).

The only thing non-Japanese about it is the language and the characters (to some extent)... it's ORIGIN'S (You all may wanna look at a dictionary for that word) is all JAPANESE.

The only thing American about it is Samuel L. Jackson and Ron Perlman... and that it was released FIRST in the United States. Hardly makes it Western... does it?

Honestly... you'd think that some people CAN'T have an open mind enough to branch out a little.

Afro Samurai said:
DaNiMe said:
I didn't know it was a manga. All I thought I knew what that it was animated in Japan, but had an American director, or some part of the production was with American people, it that isn't so then it is most certainly anime :)

You are so wrong... I mean, you're all entitled to your opinions but... it was created and written by a Japanese Animator, Takashi Okazaki (1st sign of its Japanese origin)... who originally made the Afro Samurai Manga series (2nd sign of its Japanese origin)... he created the characters to all be Western because of his love for Western culture and Hip-Hop... it was Animated in Japan (3rd sign of Japanese origin) by GONZO (an anime company) and even the sound recording... was done in Japan (whoa... more Japanese origin).

The only thing non-Japanese about it is the language and the characters (to some extent)... it's ORIGIN'S (You all may wanna look at a dictionary for that word) is all JAPANESE.

The only thing American about it is Samuel L. Jackson and Ron Perlman... and that it was released FIRST in the United States. Hardly makes it Western... does it?

Honestly... you'd think that some people CAN'T have an open mind enough to branch out a little.

I think you missed the point somewhere in this topic.

I'm pretty sure it was financed by Spike TV, an american company, so I don't consider it to be anime, whether its based on a manga or not. But I really don't care either way so carry on.

I don't really see why there should be such a debacle surrounding the production of this particular title. I picked it up from Amazon earlier in the week for £10 and have so far thoroughly enjoyed it.

I choose to view and support anime, not because of its origins, its quirkiness or obscurity, but because the medium is inherintly more creative and entertaining than any other out there (in my opinion).

Afro Samurai falls within this category that I love so much; the story is simple yet compelling, the animation style is pleasing to the eye and the voice talent adds real value to the overall experience.

I judge Afro Samurai on its own merits, not whether or not it adheres strictly to a pre-defined standard or falls under the 'anime umbrella' as obviously as other titles.

Popster said:
I don't really see why there should be such a debacle surrounding the production of this particular title. I picked it up from Amazon earlier in the week for £10 and have so far thoroughly enjoyed it.

I choose to view and support anime, not because of its origins, its quirkiness or obscurity, but because the medium is inherintly more creative and entertaining than any other out there (in my opinion).

Afro Samurai falls within this category that I love so much; the story is simple yet compelling, the animation style is pleasing to the eye and the voice talent adds real value to the overall experience.

I judge Afro Samurai on its own merits, not whether or not it adheres strictly to a pre-defined standard or falls under the 'anime umbrella' as obviously as other titles.

I love this guy!

Ramen89 said:
I'm pretty sure it was financed by Spike TV, an american company, so I don't consider it to be anime, whether its based on a manga or not. But I really don't care either way so carry on.

*sigh* It was shown on Spike TV, just like it's shown on Bravo here in the UK... Afro Samurai was animated by GONZO and FUNIMATION.

I thought the accepted term for decent Anime like properties was Wapanime (From the term "Japaime") and the accepted term for those cartoons that pretend to be anime whilse being nothing of the sort was "Weeaboo cartoons".

Ramen89 said:
Right, sorry, I forgot Funimation were a japanese company, wait a second...

*Sigh*

^Look^, I can be condisending too.

Yeah... you can say that, but Afro Samurai is a GONZO product... it owns it, has the rights to it... and made it.

And GONZO is American? oh wait... what's that I hear you say?

Ramen89 said:
Afro Samurai said:
Afro Samurai was animated by GONZO and FUNIMATION.

Right, sorry, I forgot Funimation were a japanese company, wait a second...

*Sigh*

^Look^, I can be condisending too.

Hmm, I really don't see your problem with Afro Samurai. Just because Western companies had some sort of superficial involvement with it's production ...

Back