Akira Limited Edition 4K Review

Cold Cobra

I'm entirely trustworthy...
AUKN Staff
Akira is a landmark film, not just in anime but in general. It inspired so much after it and it’s so well loved that there is every chance you already have a copy on your shelf right now. So the real question is “should I buy the 4K version?” Let’s find out!

Continue reading...

This needs a full recall and replacement program for an HDR encode and if they need to re-author they might as well include the original Japanese 2.0 mix. I don't imagine that anyone from Japan told them that they couldn't.

This needs a full recall and replacement program for an HDR encode and if they need to re-author they might as well include the original Japanese 2.0 mix. I don't imagine that anyone from Japan told them that they couldn't.
I wouldn't really go that far. They never stated this would include a HDR so the product itself isn't in need of a recall. Yes it's disappointing but they didn't mislead anyone in this case.

I wouldn't really go that far. They never stated this would include a HDR so the product itself isn't in need of a recall. Yes it's disappointing but they didn't mislead anyone in this case.

That's no doubt going to be their get out clause, but I think they'll know that it was generally assumed that it would have based on the Japanese release. It certainly feels like an error - what possible reason could there be for releasing it in SDR? How could they have justified paying for the licence to a transfer that's inferior to the one that they've had out on Blu-Ray for a decade? Without HDR, this release is redundant.

I say that having both seen it on this disc and in cinema pre-lockdown 2. There is no increase in detail. It has egregious use of DNR. I've not seen the Japanese disc, but I'm led to believe that HDR was its saving grace

Back