Anime at the cinema

how are the seats in front positioned, do peoples heads block any visible part of the subtitles please?
You should be okay so long as the idiot two rows in front of you doesn't keep leaning way forward in his seat during Penguin Highway, forcing you to reach across to tap him on the shoulder to tell him. 🙄

Do you see those seats with the low blue walls in front of them in that picture? Those are the best seats, I reckon, and the ones I always try to get. Not too difficult so long as you queue up early enough.

Thanks for the tip over the ones in front of the blue walls. If I go Glasgow will be there or the back :) Yeah that was my downfall, I'd manoeuvre myself to see the subs then the person in front would just move, and like move every minute. Just gave up. Watching that film hella dragged. I queued 20 mins prior from then on for back row.

I queued 20 mins prior from then on for back row.
Twenty minutes for Glasgow should be about spot-on as well. It's also worth mentioning that Glasgow Film Theatre lets you stay in your seat if you're there for the next film too; they just come around to check tickets. Because of that, the prime seats are a bit easier to get before the first film of the day than later on.

Good luck if you're going. I really like GFT; it gets a good crowd. 👍

I think the Filmhouse is pretty central as well. It's only 10 mins from Haymarket train station, you just follow Morrison Street straight along until it turns onto Lothian Road. It doesn't really take any longer than going from Glasgow Central to the GFT. Then Princes Street is only 10 mins or so from the Filmhouse, up at the top of Lothian Road if you want to hit up the main shopping area at some point. If you prefer other aspects of the experience of Glasgow then fair enough, but I wouldn't worry too much about distance to the cinema really, it's about the same either way.

I always feel like you're quite far away from the screen in the GFT personally, even in the front seats, I like sitting near the front of the Filmhouse and having the screen filling my vision. I agree with you on the subtitles though, that can be a pain in the Filmhouse, and I think GFT is better for that given the way it's arranged.

Oh thats cool, I'd be worried clearly leaving a coat in my seat wouldn't stop anyone from taking it inbetween the film waits if i wanted the bathroom or a drink though lol.

Yeah its such a pro and con thing isn't it. Does Glasgow have people swarm in from 2 sides like Edinburgh? I despised that over Edinburgh, me on the left side had to race with those on the right or vice versa.

I just want subtitle easy viewing, all I ask lol.

I'm geographically challenged so whist I love Edinburgh, If I can't where anywhere to stay in easy proximity to the Filmhouse whereas I can Glasgow, if SLA does end up solo for me, Imma go wheres easiest :)

Oh thats cool, I'd be worried clearly leaving a coat in my seat wouldn't stop anyone from taking it inbetween the film waits if i wanted the bathroom or a drink though lol.
Nah, the Glasgow crowd are cool. Just take your phone, purse and keys with you for safety's sake and leave your coat. Nobody bothers anyone. 🙂

Does Glasgow have people swarm in from 2 sides like Edinburgh?
It does, but I think they initially only let people in from the entrance on the left side of that picture. That's the only side I've ever queued up at, anyway. 🤔

GFT is very central, and this is another of its strengths. It's just off Sauchiehall Street, which connects up with Buchanan Street (where Forbidden Planet International is), Argyle Street (HMV) and Union Street (Tokyo Toys, Fopp). It's so convenient.

That's good over the seats :) You are definitely selling it to me Neil :) defo a contender if I end up solo.

Possibly in Glasgow for MCM guest depending, already got Motel One booked in case and stuff so can scout the area!

Maaaate I forgot there's actual Tokyo Toys stores! Well jel as we just have Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man now.

Maaaate I forgot there's actual Tokyo Toys stores! Well jel as we just have Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man now.
There's also a shop in Glasgow's Queen Street called Geek-aboo, if that's of any interest too. It's just up from Argyle Street. They sell anime collectibles and general geeky goods.

That sounds brilliant!

I am a lover of Scotland. If I could upsticks, I'd move up there. Can I ask, will I be able to get my cliche fill of battered haggis and mars bars in Glasgow? - as well as those I love a haggis barm with brown sauce as well as how I first tried haggis; balled, breaded and fried drools

Sold me on the haggis but brown sauce is dirty. Goes nice with chips and chinese curry from the place near me though :)
EDIT - works nice as a starter with sweet chilli sauce

Can I ask, will I be able to get my cliche fill of battered haggis and mars bars in Glasgow?
A quick look at Google suggests that "The Chippy Doon the Lane" off Buchanan Street sells battered haggis. 😆

For deep-fried Mars bars, apparently try Blue Lagoon, which is just outside Glasgow Central train station. I have the chips and sausage there every time I'm at SLA, and they're excellent. 👌

I think I love haggis more than the scottish at the moment lmao.

Hey now Adam, when I was in a takeaway that did it battered, they asked about brown sauce and I was like, well is that like a usual thing, would you have it, do the Scottish have it and she said yeah. So NURRRR :p

I may see where those places are in proximity to Motel One too Neil :)

In Glasgow AGAIN in December too. Seeing Nightmare Before Xmas live in Concert as well as a day trip to Edinburgh Xmas Markets :D

Back remotely on topic, was gutted I missed all The Light Cinema anime showings. Sorry but 8pm onwards showings on a weekday don't work for me!

Hey now Adam, when I was in a takeaway that did it battered, they asked about brown sauce and I was like, well is that like a usual thing, would you have it, do the Scottish have it and she said yeah. So NURRRR :p
That's chippy sauce - not the same thing :)
When your brown sauce is running low fill it up a bit with vinegar. We used to do that all the time when I was a kid. I remember there being a discussion on here though where Ayamachi decided she really didn't like the sound of it and St.Owly chipped in at some point very much sticking up for Edinburgh.

I remember there being a discussion on here though where Ayamachi decided she really didn't like the sound of it and St.Owly chipped in at some point very much sticking up for Edinburgh.
Ah, the time @Neil.T admitted he wasn't really Scottish! 😜 I'll let him off if he's seen Highlander in the mean time!

Well I had it with Brown Sauce in a cafe too so that's not watered down like a chippy/takeaway surely?

Brown sauce is life. That goes on my bacon barms, NOT tomato sauce. Heathen sauce that one :p

Back