Anime eligible for Oscars

Mangaminx

Stand User
Ten animated feature films have been announced as being eligible for nomination for the category of "Best Animated Feature Film" at the Oscars. Out of the ten films, both Howl's Moving Castle and Steamboy are anime. Anime faces tough competition from titles such as "Robots", "Wallace and Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit" and "Corpse Bride".

It's worth noting that none of the ten titles have been actually nominated yet, but three of the ten will be nominated on January 31st. The awards themselves will be announced on March 5th. [ANN]

GITS: Innocence and Sky Blue (Wonderful Days) made this preliminary list last year, so I was certainly expecting Howl and Steamboy to at least make this stage. To be honest though, I'll be surprised if any anime makes the final list of nominations; Corpse Bride covers the 'edgy' angle, everyone loves Wallace and Grommit and then we have the commercial Disney rubbish that usually gets at least one title on the list. Fingers crossed for Otomo and Miyazaki anyway! ;)

If something as lifeless and generic as Shark Tale last year can get into the final list, on presumably the strength of its celebrity voice talent, it's unlikely Howl and Steamboy will get in.

Since Tim Burton and Nick Park are such talented animators it wouldn't be quite as bad if Howl or Steamboy lost to them. On the other hand there would be no justice in this world if something like Madagascar won.

As harsh as it sounds I don't have too much hope for Howl - it's not quite as good as Spirited Away but it would still be good to see Miyazaki get another Oscar. Steamboy could do well I suppose because it's a straightforward CGI action-adventure that might serve it well against mainstream Hollywood rivals.

Both films have some famous names on their English dub lists, which may help them in that department.

Oh come on guys! Where's the optimism?! :lol:

Theoretically, the hype from Miyazaki winning the lifetime achievement award from the Venice film festival may give Howl's an edge, if only a little one. I'd be very surprised if it didn't make the top five at least.

And as for the Disney entry...what would that be again? Is my memory acting up or what have Disney released this year that's Oscar-worthy?

Melainy said:
Oh come on guys! Where's the optimism?! :lol:

The way I see it it's win-win anyway. Wallace & Gromit and Corpse Bride are both quality.

Personally I don't think it's any shame for steamboy to loose out to Corpse Bride for example.

well...i think that Howl'sMoving Castle has a bit of a chance getting to the nominations...the only thing is that the most likely thing to happen is Wallace and Gromit or Corpse Bride will win the award...i haven't seen Steamboy so i can't really say much for that

I guess we'll all just have to bite our nails and wait. I'd love to see Howl's get the award, but I'd be just as happy if Steamboy got there. Just a nomination would be a great help for anime in the west though.

Wallace and Gromit will win the Oscar theres no doubt about it but it would be nice to see an Anime movie nominated, I'd say Corpse Bride and Madagascar will be the other two though :roll:

Back