AUKN Meetups: Have we actually had one?

All it would take is a food processor and a load of cumberlands...

Actually no, that's a bad idea. Forget I mentioned it.

Who says they want to meet me Shira? Personally I think they're all just dying to meet Zin5ki. :p

While you're all perfectly welcome and I don't wish to exclude anybody I think the time has maybe come from my perspective (before things get too complicated) to set a time and a place and if you can be there, great, I'll be there also - This doesn't of course stop any other London members from meeting up at any other point in the day should they wish to, or the creation of a kind of moving and evolving group. I will have a think and be back tomorrow with my plan...

ayase said:
Just thought I'd let people know that as part of my effort to get out and do things (which has been an incredibly rare occurrence over the past couple of years) I'm going to be in London on the 23rd and 24th of March if Chaos wants to berate me in person for being such a terrible reviewer or Vash wants to have that argum... debate over a pint. First time I've been in about fifteen years, I think.
Oh my... It's Sunnycon days..... http://www.sunnycon.co.uk
I've not confirmed going to this one just yet, still depending on confirming this with some other friends,

vashdaman said:
Ah I missed this post. Yes I'm definitely down for a little meet up, and all the more better if my forum hero Zinki can come too! Though be warned, while I'm probably no less opinionated in the flesh than I am online, I may be slightly more quiet than one might expect from reading my posts...or maybe I'm not ahaha, I really don't know.
Zin5ki is your hero =D
That would be a conversation for posterity!

GolGotha said:
I'm only 30 mins away from Kings Cross on the train, so I could always pop down....? I know I'm not that known on here, but it would make it less of a sausage fest :p

......Now I just have to hope that the people mentioned are male
Chaos - male
Ayase - male
Zin5ki - male
Vashdaman - I've got no idea...

ayase said:
I'm currently thinking aft/eve of Saturday the 23rd (to give me some time to myself on the 24th) :p but if that doesn't suit I can always do things the other way around. Will have to check my train times again...
If I'm in town, either day works for me. If you've got anything in particular you're interested in, I'm happy to be your guide. I've organised walks for my friends in the past, like K-On London tour, Harry Potter London walking tour and more on the artsy side, Street Art East London tour....

devilrules666 said:
is it ok if I pop in as well? Just one train for me. It would be nice to put some names to faces. :D
And you'll leave the baby for your partner to care for? I think you should bring your kid as well, to start being doctrinated in anime and geek culture =P

Ath said:
I'm always up for a pint, would be cool to meet people!
Cool.

Shirayuri said:
It's likely I'll be in there too. Wow Ayase, you sure are the most popular forum member here, lol.
I can think of only one forum member who would gather more interest for a personal meetup and that's Rui.... ;)

ayase said:
Who says they want to meet me Shira? Personally I think they're all just dying to meet Zin5ki. :p
Funnily enough, Zin's sister confirmed he is always like that.....

ayase said:
While you're all perfectly welcome and I don't wish to exclude anybody I think the time has maybe come from my perspective (before things get too complicated) to set a time and a place and if you can be there, great, I'll be there also - This doesn't of course stop any other London members from meeting up at any other point in the day should they wish to, or the creation of a kind of moving and evolving group. I will have a think and be back tomorrow with my plan...
Happy to help you plan this.

chaos said:
I've organised walks for my friends in the past, like K-On London tour, Harry Potter London walking tour and more on the artsy side, Street Art East London tour....
I'm stably disposed to favour walks! I often perambulate around the Square Mile on dark Sunday evenings: one sees more foxes than financial professionals at such a time.

Zin5ki said:
chaos said:
I've organised walks for my friends in the past, like K-On London tour, Harry Potter London walking tour and more on the artsy side, Street Art East London tour....
I'm stably disposed to favour walks! I often perambulate around the Square Mile on dark Sunday evenings: one sees more foxes than financial professionals at such a time.

That's an idea =)

Also, anyone going to Minamicon?

devilrules666 said:
Might have to bring the misses and the baby along! Hope you guys don't mind.
Sure thing, I don't mind at all, although it may not be the place for a baby with all the drinking going around....
A friend of mine started an anime mums group....

Rivaan said:
I'm going to Minami Con too. :) Though none of you know me... :p
See you there? PM me in case you're up for a meet up, there's at least me and Mutsumi from her going.

The best time i'm going to have to really meet the rest of you guys, bar those of you who have had the terrifying experience of meeting me already, is the MCM in May. I've got that booked off so i will be available to say hi then. Unless someone can get me a stunt double for work, in which case, i can say hi anytime.

Awesome, see you in May!

Also, just saw this thread and realised Ayase was coming to London and I decided to text him only to notice that it's a quarter past midnight (and some people do sleep in sensible hours, I hear.....) I'm so sorry for being such an idiot sometimes, in case you read this.

Normally I don't sleep during sensible hours AT ALL, but this past week I actually have been - That said, your text didn't even wake me (not that it would have bothered me if it had). A real shame you're not going to be around that weekend chaos, some other time I guess. It's the last weekend free before my new job starts which is going to have irregular hours, so I'm not sure when I'll be down again. If I enjoy it, I'm sure I'll be back again soon though.

Right, well. The Grand Central website keeps giving me damn runtime errors so I can't see what time my train gets in, but I think to be safe I'll say I can be anywhere in central London on Sat the 23rd at 4.30pm - Probably earlier but where trains are concerned there's always the possibility of delays. Might seem a bit late in the day for meeting up but I'm happy to keep things going well into the evening if others are. There's this pub at King's Cross itself (gets good reviews, may be pricey but then is there anywhere in London that isn't?) but if anyone else has any better ideas for meeting places I'll open the floor up to suggestions.

Cool, anywhere is fine with me. I don't really have any better ideas, despite having lived in London my entire life, I actually know it surprisingly poorly. Just recently I was looking at a picture of Buckingham Palace and I said to my friend "what is that, the Buckingham Palace or something?" Peter Hitchins would be ashamed of me.

Peter Hitchens? Bah. Talking of people who's only use should have been spare parts for their siblings...

It's the London Psychogeographical Association you need to watch out for Vash. Good to know you can come along, at any rate.

Edit: I was just looking up particularly old parts of London to visit (any suggestions?) and came upon this thread on another forum which has some amazing pictures, I thought I'd share it. Kinda random, but it may be of interest to some of you.

I greatly favour suggestions. The area around the Guildhall is pleasantly aged in parts, and Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia have mostly retained their original character. The same goes for Greenwich and Hampstead villages, but such places lie beyond the innermost zone. (Veridical story: I was once taken aback by a close-quarter airborne stag beetle in the former locale.) More central are the super-affluent locations surrounding the royal parks: Mayfair, Belgravia, St. James's et al. Be wary of diplomats' luxury saloons; their chauffeurs are often pressed for time.

So Ayase, anything you'd like to visit or see in particular? I'm always happy to provide recommendations and if you'd like some theatre, I could also find you some free tickets or something.....

@Zin5ki - I can see you being an invaluable source of knowledge on our capital Zin5ki. I do hope you'll be able to join us. Perhaps you might know of other, more characterful establishments we might patronise?

@GolGotha - That's a real shame, looks like it's back to the manly gathering. Thanks for the good wishes, perhaps another time eh?

@chaos - It's typical, now you've mentioned it I can't really think of many specifics... I'll probably take in museums and galleries on the Sunday, aimlessly ride the Tube for a while and attempt to find some urban decay to photograph.

I guess if there was anything going on Saturday evening either I alone or myself and anyone else interested could take in some entertainment (especially if it was free :p) Hell, I'm pretty much up for anything really.

Back