Barakamon Simulwatch and Calligraphy learning.

Naru acquired a slightly long stick.
Heheh that was brilliant touch.

Episode 8 was interesting in that the positive external stimulus that was Handa's arrival shook things up enough for the villagers to gel, become more lively and involved with each other including throwing a birthday party they may not have otherwise.
It's the same for the respect of the dead, in Japan they seem to really revere them, I've seen pictures of lost relatives with shrines, incense gets lit, they have mini festivals, and even leave food for them. In this country, lucky if you get a passing grave visit I think! 🤣
Having elders that are loved and respected is universal and hopefully a majority of adults have a grandparent they got on with like a house on fire and therefore sorely miss. I therefore do find the Bon festival custom incredibly endearing in that it keeps the memories of the loved elders very much alive. Back to the show, Naru's grandmother certainly seems to have been a revered member of their society. Also difficult to not see the inevitable end of Handa's stay in every episode of this show, with the end of lives literally symbolised in the graveyard.

And very good points on missing parents in anime, though the usual missing city parents being worked to death trope doesn't feel to me like it applies here as we've certainly seen some of the older kids' parents around (eg village leader & Yakuza sailor) so I got the feeling that Naru is an orphan living with Gramps alone and hence her excitement from the start at having an older parent/brother like figure around to play with rather than just other young kids, with the older kids very much also joining in as a result (given how they mentioned they wouldn't have normally celebrated her birthday).
Episode 9
Being fully grown yet unable to outwit children with your adult brain and experience...well that's completely unrealistic and not relateable in the slightest...
Heheh, you must have better skills than me then as I am often at a loss around kids, but probably just an inability to relate resulting in both parties being bored. Though I think Handa was pretty shocked at the confident boisterousness of the upstarts, who sensed his weakness as Blondie mentioned. Going back to when his best friend (another blondie!) mentioned his lack of social skills, I think the same comes into the play even when dealing with street-smart kids, however old a person is (just have to be reminded of a feeble & meek teacher at school having circles run around them..). But as everyone mentioned about his childishness at times, perhaps that is being reflected in his ease at playing with the kids & being focused only on his passions but not adult responsibilities and relationships. Another climbing the wall metaphor here & always nice to find inspiration in the beauty of nature. His latest work being inspired by the stars & using negative space for the calligraphy was simply genius! And the end continues to draw near.

Episode 10

Sometime within the last 24 hours, since episode 9 and before watching this one, I've somehow gained the distinct insight that the old man he punched in episode 1 is actually his dad? Maybe it's the "coming home" bit at the end of episode 9, but I hadn't really considered it before.

Helping build that wall where fitting stones together like a puzzle reminded me of the Incan empire, but on a much smaller scale. I am no expert in ancient southern American history, but there are two things I think I am right in saying: 1) the Incans had an empire that spanned really large distances with no real tech, and they somehow managed to keep it going (at least until the Spanish appeared anyway). and 2. They had these almost perfectly fitting stone walls that had no gaps in, some of the stones they used were huge and I think even now there are debates about how they did it, with no technology to speak of.

Poor Naru got her "one time ask me to do anything" ticket exchanged for a stone that she promptly skimmed in the water! 🤣

I've always thought the Japanese festivals look pretty cool, around here we got crappy fairs ran by gypos and filled with chavs. In Japan it's all about the food, goldfish scooping, and fireworks.

Sensei leaving is inevitable, but my one hope is that it's either temporary or he comes back and stays on the island long term before the show ends. I think he really loves being there and the Island crew are obviously big fans of having him around as well.

Having elders that are loved and respected is universal and hopefully a majority of adults have a grandparent they got on with like a house on fire and therefore sorely miss

Without boring people with the details, sadly not in my case.

I'm fortunate to have a close immediate family at least, but my grandparents were basically absent at best or horrid at worst.

People definitely have it worse than me though! Jealous of people who had nice grandparents :)

Episodes 7-10 It’s nice seeing Handa better settled in to his new environment, and bringing in his colleagues to experience a similar reaction he had when arriving also added to the story.

Episode 11

Here we get the aftermath of trip back to Tokyo. Turns out I was wrong about the director being his father, oh well can't win em all!

Glad to see his apology was heartfelt and accepted, think it was bugging him that it wasn't resolved all this time. I was in shock as he threw the drink over both the art and the director though! :eek:

I quite liked the piece he did, thought it looked cool, shame it got ruined.

What follows is shenanigans back at home as Sensei tries to find his vision with a deadline looming, and a bit of light S&M. The conversation with all of the island residents was endearing.

The slice of life cliff-hanger showing what he came up with left me wanting to watch the next episode, but I shall wait and watch it tomorrow.

The after credits scene was funny :)

To clear up any doubt, I am on team live on the Island.

I've somehow gained the distinct insight that the old man he punched in episode 1 is actually his dad?
Turns out I was wrong about the director being his father
I was starting to think the same as well, a bit of confusion being generated in the writing or translation I suppose, rather than it being intentional misdirection..
I've always thought the Japanese festivals look pretty cool
Likewise, though I think thanks to anime I now have overinflated expectations that will only lead to disappointment if I ever get to attend one heh.
And LOL at Handa thinking he might be good because he read a basketball manga!
That was certainly a Barakamon comedy genius special, had me cracking up!
Without boring people with the details, sadly not in my case.

I'm fortunate to have a close immediate family at least, but my grandparents were basically absent at best or horrid at worst.

People definitely have it worse than me though! Jealous of people who had nice grandparents :)
Ah sorry dude, hence my uncharacteristically optimistic hope that it would be the case for more than less but yeah it is a blessing just having any loving family members at all.
Episode 10

Who just skips town without at least saying goodbye to the people who you got close to? Seriously
he should have told someone.. Bad Sensei..
I can't believe no one had a go at him over the phone later! What a sweet bunch of kids. Eyeglasses girl's telephone voice also had me cracking up.
Episode 11 - I liked the visual image of Sensei unclenching his hands, just before he apologised to the director. He simply let it go (not Frozen). And later in the episode, when he tried recreating the island vibes, he had Naru's hairstyle and it was so sweet when the real Naru tells him to hurry up and come home. He's got to go back to the island (not Lost).
Heheh loving the apt references!

Episode 10 unsurprisingly very much carried on the feeling of dread at Sensei's leaving, which I had on behalf of both himself and the villagers. I can't recall a show that has so expertly engendered that from the very start, it's a testament of how endearing and likeable all the characters are without any specific development. And it definitely makes one want to move to a friendly island village somewhere! Though global warming and rising sea levels may make a mountain village less environmentally risky... Eyeglasses girl was in her element again in this episode for a good few chuckles heheh.

Episode 11 and the defilement of Handa's masterpiece - goodness that really made me wince, but like his friend, I couldn't help finding the director getting sloshed hilarious! It was a really nice touch for Handa to be the better man and genuinely want to apologize, whilst also feeling sympathy for the feeble old man. I still condone his walloping the geezer at the start though heh. His channeling his village friends (especially Naru's hair) was as sweet as it was funny. Looking forward to seeing his new work, inspired by his village friends, though I will be impressed if it is better than the one he ruined.

Barakamon 11 & 12

Since I know how this goes I had nothing much to say yesterday so I'm combining these episodes today.

Handa works hard to re-discover the same inspiration he had from the island in Tokyo. Just hearing the voices of the people he came to like resparks that. Kind of funny he only took 5th for all that work but he probably expected that based on his reaction. I wonder if arrogant Handa from episode 1 would have expected that also and reacted differently?

Talk about an overbearing mother, she couldn't see that Handa was totally fine staying where he was even when he said as much. Well it's also understandable that she was worried but she wasn't open to Handa's pleas at all. Still all's well that ends well.

Well that's the end of Barakamon. Watching this a 2nd time was a lot of fun, it still held up extremely well.

Episode 12

We come to the end of the show. 😢

on the whole I really enjoyed this one, the art was nice, and I could tell they had a lot of fun making it, the characters and the story was good too. This is the perfect thing to watch if you just want an easy watch.

As it's the last one, I will do a picture round!

It's easier to destroy than it is to build.

1c3qCbV.png

The writing is, quite literally, on the wall.

MdkzpKg.png

You always need to be able to take the side of the opposition in any debate.

wYsvR93.png

Two can play at that game! :D

wybaxPR.png

Haha the anime pout! she does not look old enough to actually be his mother.

PB9zu21.png

Violence runs in the family it seems.

0PpUdgs.png

Mr Sparkle advertisement!

AeKMkRU.png

The end, is the beginning, is the end.

UkFHJjd.png

BUNDLE! 🥳🎉

WMImflW.png

It wasn't as impressive as the previous work, but I think it was important to Sensei and he got to write what he wanted, rather than just what would be designed to win.

hzOxbC4.png

Episodes 11 & 12
11 was another perfect mix of funny and moving. His apology to the director was sincere and brought a tear to my eyes, but then Handa throws the barley water all over him 😂 Then later there's the bondage misunderstanding followed by that phone call 😭 This is one aspect that I loved so much about my favourite series ever A Place Further Than the Universe.

12 - Handa's mother was so against him leaving until she finally saw he had changed for the better, not the worse.

Have to say I'm going to move this from 8 to 9/10.

Also I'm going to be a renegade and ignore the renegade simulwatch (I haven't got Shiki and I don't think it's streamable) and continue this one with Handa-kun which is also on Funimation:

Episodes 11 & 12
11 was another perfect mix of funny and moving. His apology to the director was sincere and brought a tear to my eyes, but then Handa throws the barley water all over him 😂 Then later there's the bondage misunderstanding followed by that phone call 😭 This is one aspect that I loved so much about my favourite series ever A Place Further Than the Universe.

12 - Handa's mother was so against him leaving until she finally saw he had changed for the better, not the worse.

Have to say I'm going to move this from 8 to 9/10.

Also I'm going to be a renegade and ignore the renegade simulwatch (I haven't got Shiki and I don't think it's streamable) and continue this one with Handa-kun which is also on Funimation:
I should definitely check out Handa-Kun. Should be fun for sure

Episodes 11-12 A nice overall way to end the series with Handa returning and the surprise party for him too. Took me a moment to clock Handa’s mother though - and she really didn’t want to let her son go again.

Overall, Barakamon is a great series all round and I’d love to see a second season one day. A great choice for the simulwatch.

Episode 12 - The overbearing mother beating everyone up made me laugh, and how she doesn't understand why her son wants pickles all the time now. And with that is the last episode. This is such a good series and one that I will recommend to friends.

As I was trying to decide whether to give this a 9 or 10, I thought back to all the episodes and I think a series that puts an immediate smile on your face when you do that deserves 10/10

I shall put this on the 'manga to check out' list now since there's no season 2, but one can dream. Now to watch some non-anime (The Leftovers, I heard it's good)

Back