Battle Discussion!

Mangaminx

Stand User
This thread is for discussing the latest battles and results in the epic..

Anime UK News' Character Battle 2005!

Not happy with a result, or the way a battle is going? Voice your opinion here!
Who will win overall? Talk and discuss anything battle related.

A full list of all the upcoming battles aswell as the results so far can be found in the Results Thread.

Ramadahl said:
Shinji vs. Ayato... the real way to settle the Eva vs. RahXephon debate.

I'm actually suprised at the number of votes for Shinji, I mean I expected him to win but I felt at least a few more people would have found him so objectionable not to vote for him.

Don't get me wrong im not a fan of Ayato either (Haruka is a far more interesting representative of RahXephon :p ), but he was considerably less irritating than Shinji on every level.

But, on the other hand, more people have probably seen Evangelion than RahXephon so, even though Shinji's annoying as all hell, would vote for him. Better the devil you know, after all.

Daedalus668 said:
But, on the other hand, more people have probably seen Evangelion than RahXephon so, even though Shinji's annoying as all hell, would vote for him. Better the devil you know, after all.

Ah yes you do have a point there.
Still, it'll be interesting to see how Shinji does against characters that arent in series so directly similiar to EVA. Where it wont be anime vs anime as much.

U should just make the rule, you can only vote if you have seen both series'; that makes its perfectly fair... less votes, but fairer votes :p

DaNiMé said:
U should just make the rule, you can only vote if you have seen both series'; that makes its perfectly fair... less votes, but fairer votes :p

True, but then we would have far less votes. I think it's very possible that Shinji will do well in this tournament; who hasn't seen Eva?, regardless of how popular a character he is among fans.

The Shinji vs. Ayato match was originally planned to have Shinji vs. Ed Elric from FMA (who didn't do too well in the wildcards), but we switched to Ayato since he's a natural partner to Shinji, just as RahXephon and Evangelion are logical partners (as seen in the Eva-Rah debate thread)

I'd say this should be a vote for the character you prefer, rather than the anime you like the most, although that's just my opinion.

Chomolungma said:
I'd say this should be a vote for the character you prefer, rather than the anime you like the most, although that's just my opinion.
True, but it's a poll already skewed by the fact that someone else shortlisted the characters in the animes anyway. I think it's more intelligent to "vote for the character in the anime which has your favorite character from each anime in the cast". Like voting for Danger Mouse because he's in the same series as Penfold, who you like more than Charlie Chalk (who you actually like more than Danger Mouse, but like less than Penfold).

^ The above paragraph is designed to disorientate people into voting exclusively for Char Aznable in every character battle he's in. And even a few he isn't in.

DaNiMé said:
It's essentially impossible to enforce, but a good idea nonetheless :p What if there is some weird combo that comes up later, that no-one has actually seen? I suspect "Naruto Vs Tohru" wouldn't work to well :p In all honesty, I can only vote on "Spike Vs Vash" and "Tohru Vs Osaka" by those rules. I've not watched 10 out of the 16 Shortlisted shows...

---

A New point to make: it needs to be cleared up whether the "battles" are about which is your favorite character, or which "would win in a fight", because a number of people are interpreting it in the later way.

Ramadahl said:
It's a bit late, but....
NOOOOOOOO!!!!
TOHRU!!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
lol, the last person I'd expect to be complaining is one with an Osaka avatar :p See what you mean though, the two characters I actually like were in the same bracket. Poops.

... A fair point, forgot I had an Osaka avatar... :oops:
But I think Osaka is probably more photogenic than Tohru (if photogenic can still apply to a picture :? ).

kuposrtist said:
See what you mean though, the two characters I actually like were in the same bracket. Poops.
Yeah, although they're trying to match series' up (genrewise) so I guess it wouldn't be too surprising for people to find two characters they like going against each other.

Ramadahl said:
Embarassed
But I think Osaka is probably more photogenic than Tohru (if photogenic can still apply to a picture Confused ).

kuposrtist wrote:
See what you mean though, the two characters I actually like were in the same bracket. Poops.

Yeah, although they're trying to match series' up (genrewise) so I guess it wouldn't be too surprising for people to find two characters they like going against each other.p

We have tried to gear the fights up so characters battle their arch rivals from similar genres to make the first round more exciting ;)

What Mangaminx said. :p

The parings are mainly based on characters who we thought would go well against eachother; from the cold Motoko and Kirika and the Shounen Jump stars Ichigo and Naruto to Spike and Vash, gun-wielding stars of popular 90s anime series. The selection of characters, of course, is always going to suffer when it's been chosen by two-to-three people to try and represent a wide spread yet limit the number of entries so it is not hundreds of spear carriers versus main characters. With a few excepts, it's also limited to the "protagonist" of a series, since that character is often the most popular, and sums up the image of the series more.

Just to note that the fist round is now completed and the results can now be seen in the results thread. Round two is now underway so previous winners are now going head to head.

Ramadahl said:
So how is it being decided who goes head-to-head in the second round? It doesn't seem to be similar genres again...

I can honestly say that none of the matches were tactical. With so little characters, it was hard to pair them so closely, but we've generally tried to make the closest matches that are possible.

Unit 0 said:
Guts has to win the whole thing! :D
Well, he stands a good chance as he's already come this far... I might be against you there, though... :D

So what happens in the third round? Does the character with the most votes out of each trio get seeded, or is it a 3-for-all?

Back