BBC Three to go online only

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Source

Remember Jerome's comments in a recent MangaUK podcast about how the 16-35 market? Well, the BBC has announced that BBC Three will be moving to online-only to help save money.

Several months on and I still have mixed feelings over this.
One problem the BBC faces is reduced year on year income from the license fee that is effecting commissioning new programming for all the networks which one reason for the high number of repeats on the main 1 & 2 channels and maybe some of the BBC 3 programming might fit better on say BBC2.
The other is where the different channels fit in with each other and what their remits are 1 is more popular programs, 4 is arts/history but where do 2 and 3 fit in and what exactly is it that determines which channel a 'edgy' drama goes to for instance. Pre-digital much of that was on BBC 2 for instance.
As I understood some of thinking around online only for BBC 3 was based around the idea the 16-35 audience looks for entertainment mainly online but how many of you actually do this?

Always had a TV present wherever I've lived (With parents and now with partner), but can't say I use it for actually watching TV. I go online for everything to be honest.

I watch a decent amount of TV (although a lot of that is sports), but I would guess at this stage that certainly most people under 16-30 primarily watch stuff online.

Anecdotal evidence from the kind of outliers you get on an anime message board isn't really the strongest route to a convincing conclusion though, I will admit. ^^;

I don't watch TV either and I don't have license to. The quality of the BBC is just not worth the cost nowadays and I can't systand adverts every 10-15mins on other channels. Of course I have a TV but it's purely for my consoles/bluray/htpc. I do have a Netflix account and that's enough for me, it's cheaper and has a lot of BBC programmes not available on iPlayer ironically.

They harassed me a bit at first, kept turning up, telling me lies, and made a few threats of legal action but I turned it back on them and haven't seen or had any mail from them for ages. Just never sign anything and remember they have no legal right to enter your home, nor are you required to tell them the truth or prove your innocence.

Guess it means no more Family Guy and American Dad for me then as I don't intend to go online to watch TV (not that there is much else on the channel that I watch).

Back