BBC4 showing Spirited Away

BlackWolf said:
CitizenGeek said:
I agree with Dracos - it's time to move beyond Ghibli films on UK TV. I'd love to see Akira air on TV, too. It's certainly a very marketable movie!

Hasn't it already been aired before though :? I know Ghost in the Shell has been shown on ITV2 though to my knowledge is the only anime that any of the ITV channels has have ever shown.

If Ghibli movies are pulling in steady numbers, maybe someone some where will branch out a bit.

I really hope Akira will air this year after all it is it's 20th anniversary, Jonathan Ross will probably host :wink:

J_C_X said:
BlackWolf said:
CitizenGeek said:
I agree with Dracos - it's time to move beyond Ghibli films on UK TV. I'd love to see Akira air on TV, too. It's certainly a very marketable movie!

Hasn't it already been aired before though :? I know Ghost in the Shell has been shown on ITV2 though to my knowledge is the only anime that any of the ITV channels has have ever shown.

If Ghibli movies are pulling in steady numbers, maybe someone some where will branch out a bit.

I really hope Akira will air this year after all it is it's 20th anniversary, Jonathan Ross will probably host :wink:

That's not a bad idea for a short series 10 episodes in the Moviedrome style maybe hosted by Jonathan Ross, say starting with Akira then a anime from every cople of years to show the changes that have happend in anime over twenty years. Or something like the ten most influential anime films of the last 20 years to mark 20 years of Akira.

Dracos said:
J_C_X said:
BlackWolf said:
CitizenGeek said:

That's not a bad idea for a short series 10 episodes in the Moviedrome style maybe hosted by Jonathan Ross, say starting with Akira then a anime from every cople of years to show the changes that have happend in anime over twenty years. Or something like the ten most influential anime films of the last 20 years to mark 20 years of Akira.

I'd like to see Akira's influence in animation in general, how it changed the way we see animation, it's affect on movies now and so on.

J_C_X said:
I'd like to see Akira's influence in animation in general, how it changed the way we see animation, it's affect on movies now and so on.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that as well, i had actually forgotten that it was its 20th anniversary this year :p thanks for reminding me. I think we are long overdue more anime movies on tv, i can remember watching some on Sci-Fi a long time ago though most of them were of the violent type

BlackWolf said:
CitizenGeek said:

The first time I ever saw anime for an adult audience was Akira on BBC2, but that was ages ago, at least ten years!

Ditchdigger said:
The first time I ever saw anime for an adult audience was Akira on BBC2, but that was ages ago, at least ten years!

Yeah I remember that, I still got my grainy VHS recording I made (it was closer to 13/14 years ago, I was in year 9 at school), though last week I finally bought the DVD ... dunno why it took me so long.

Anybody remember BBC2 showing Rojin-Z and Patlabor? Or Ch4's Late Licence showing Devilman, Cyber City Oedo 808, 3x3 Eyes and Tokyo Babylon, such fond memories, so long ago ... such a big stack of VHS's :D

Actually they were all OAV's, no reason why they couldn't update and do it all again now that Anime is more accepted.

I remember one show on a Channel 4 anime season which had four brothers (I think) that could change into dragons, but I can't remember what it was called.

Ditchdigger said:
I remember one show on a Channel 4 anime season which had four brothers (I think) that could change into dragons, but I can't remember what it was called.
Manga released that under the moniker, Legend of the Four Kings, although in the US (if I rememeber correctly) it was released as Legend of the Dragon Kings. It was a 12 part series

Gawyn said:
Ditchdigger said:
Manga released that under the moniker, Legend of the Four Kings, although in the US (if I rememeber correctly) it was released as Legend of the Dragon Kings. It was a 12 part series

That's probably it. It was ages ago just like Akira. It would be good if a terestrial channel had a season of anime, but it would probably be on Film4 or BBC4 now-adays, but with analogue switch off aproaching I guess a lot of people have freeview at least by now.

Ditchdigger said:
Gawyn said:
Ditchdigger said:

That's probably it. It was ages ago just like Akira. It would be good if a terestrial channel had a season of anime, but it would probably be on Film4 or BBC4 now-adays, but with analogue switch off aproaching I guess a lot of people have freeview at least by now.

Definately think there is room on digital terrestrial television for a adult animation block, Channel 4 would be the obvious canidate but I wouldn't rule out some others.

This seems to be a mini animation night anyway, Belleville Rendez-vous airs straight after it.

Project-2501 said:
Anyone remember Battle Angel Alita on C4? Long time ago.

Ha ha, I still have the VHS recording I made of that .... in fact, all the Anime that was shown on TV back then, well the terrestrial stuff anyway. I think the only one I missed was the first episode of Tokyo Babylon.

It's weird, my mum has never liked Anime, but as a family we'd all sit down and watch Legend Of Prince Arislan and Legend of the Four Kings the day after recording it, sometimes my family can be a little bizzare like that!

I'm all for bringing back the old school OAV's on TV, ah how I miss frantically scouring the new TV guide every week.

Back