Beez to release Gunbuster 2 in the UK as soon as March '08

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Anime UK News has received news from Beez Entertainment annoucing that they've picked up 2004's long awaited 6-episode OVA series Gunbuster 2 (aka Diebuster) and intend to release it in the UK during March 2008 as one "digipack" DVD collection with an RRP of £24.99. Extras will include "long interviews with the creators, interviews with the Japanese voice cast and Beez trailers".

Of course, the "creators" are the famed anime studio Gainax, world renowned for their work on the likes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and FLCL (which is also due for a UK release later this year). As the name suggests, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diebuster">Gunbuster 2</a> is a sequel to the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunbuster">original 1988 series</a>, though the plot is essentially stand-alone and only ties into the original story on a superficial level; again the emphasis is on super-powered (world-destroying) mecha piloted by brave high school students intent on repelling alien invasion.

They should release the remaster of the original aswell. Still good to see this getting a release, espically one thats so much cheaper than the R1 version

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY ****.

Ironic I was just thinking about this today!? I think not!

8==========D~~~

... Yeah. I'm gonna buy it. Definately.

HAHA! sucks to be you :p

I'd say there are alot of people in a similar boat that never expected this to be released here and are now annoyed at having to pay the rather high BV USA price for it, if i'd have known about it i'd have waited.

Great news! While I can't say it's up with the standards of the original (Beez would be really doing well for themselves if they grab the rights to that too) but it's still one of Gainax's better efforts - I really enjoyed it actually.

The RRP isn't bad either, especially considering it includes all six episodes along with the extras in one box (the price of the R1 version was a bit steep IMO). Gainax staff are somewhat camera-shy so I'd be interested in what they have to say.

Wow, didn't expect this news! But, I'm thrilled that it's coming out! I watched it recently on fansub, but I kind of got lost with the storyline halfway through, so I can't wait to watch it again (complete with better quality subtitles, better sound, better picture etc.).

Bravo Beez! Keep it up! I'd love to see the original Gunbuster given a proper release over here, too.

Good news this, and I’m definitely going to pick this up, but in a review of the pricey R1 release on ANN I noticed that they mentioned that it is ‘sub only’ and that it has suffers the “occasional spelling error or bit of clumsy wording in the amateurishly-fonted subtitlesâ€

Well i only noticed three minor spelling errors in the whole show and im a fansub qc'er so im pretty good a picking up on things, you'd have to be extremely anal to let them stop you buying a great show.

Well, I hope Beez fix the spelling errors (how spelling errors ended up there in the first place is bizarre and quite unprofessional) but I don't think they will. It won't stop me buying the series, though!

Well you have to remember that BV USA do all their subs, authoring and pressing in Japan so the people doing it don't speak english as their first language.

Incidentally one thing i did notice on the DVD's was the use of English rather than American in the subs, that may have been responsible for most of the spelling errors the American reviewer saw :p

Hybridchild said:
Well you have to remember that BV USA do all their subs, authoring and pressing in Japan so the people doing it don't speak english as their first language.

Incidentally one thing i did notice on the DVD's was the use of English rather than American in the subs, that may have been responsible for most of the spelling errors the American reviewer saw :p
Regardless of where the authoring for the subtitles was done and the nationality of the translator, they would have used a native speaker to at least spell and quality check for them. Of course if the guy doing the checking happened to be British rather than American then that could account for any number of spelling (in)accuracies.

Back