Best place to pre-order Manga

Loonabit

Completely Average High School Student
Hey all,

So I consider myself an avid Manga collector and for the last 4-5 years I've made it a habit to pre-order large quantities of manga months before their release usually through Amazon as I want to try to secure copies during first print runs or as close to initial release, this is especially handy for some of the more popular or limited print series so I try to make pre-orders months in advance or as early as new release listings are up and I've always liked that with Amazon you don't pay until the item has shipped.

Recently I have been very much let down by Amazon fulfilment as some of my pre-orders have been delayed multiple times due to US-UK shipping or print delays or limited UK stock, sometimes on occassion even cancelled outright i.e. Vinland Saga Vol.12 even though I'd pre-ordered so many months prior sometimes even over 12 months before release specifically to try and ensure I get my copy of said book.

I am now trying to find an alternative site where I might be able to start doing my batch pre-ordering that fulfills orders better and I wanted to find out if anyone here has a recommended site or knows any other online store that like Amazon accepts pre-orders months in advance but ideally doesn't charge until shipment?

Any info or recommendations would be much appreciated as I just hate having to chase and find manga volumes after they've released and have become either super rare to find or have gone up in price by ridiculous amounts.

Cheers

Here are some sites I use:
Wob | World of Books | Buy cheap second-hand books online (mainly for 2nd hand but still good quality)

also should note that even in the US some volumes are hard to get, primarily due to COVID.

Here are some sites I use:
Wob | World of Books | Buy cheap second-hand books online (mainly for 2nd hand but still good quality)

also should note that even in the US some volumes are hard to get, primarily due to COVID.
Amazing thank you for the recommendations. Do you happen to know if any of these charge at pre-order stage or at shipping?

Book Depository definitely charges at pre-order, not sure about the others. Personally, I just tend to wait until the week of release and put an order in for what's out that week then rather than ordering months in advance.

Book Depository definitely charges at pre-order, not sure about the others. Personally, I just tend to wait until the week of release and put an order in for what's out that week then rather than ordering months in advance.
And in your experience do you have any trouble getting the books so close to release? I always assumed it was just so difficult to get certain stuff unless I'd pre-ordered well in advance i.e. Berserk Deluxe, Solo Levelling, Jujutsu, Chainsaw-man

And in your experience do you have any trouble getting the books so close to release? I always assumed it was just so difficult to get certain stuff unless I'd pre-ordered well in advance i.e. Berserk Deluxe, Solo Levelling, Jujutsu, Chainsaw-man
I’ve never found it to be a problem myself, I think if I waited longer than release week it would be an issue, but provided I buy it that week it tends to be okay unless there is an issue with stock not arriving (which would lead to a cancelled order even if I’d pre-ordered months in advance). I collect Toilet Bound Hanako-kun for example, which sells out quite quickly but I’ve yet to miss a volume ordering the way I do. :)

I’ve never found it to be a problem myself, I think if I waited longer than release week it would be an issue, but provided I buy it that week it tends to be okay unless there is an issue with stock not arriving (which would lead to a cancelled order even if I’d pre-ordered months in advance). I collect Toilet Bound Hanako-kun for example, which sells out quite quickly but I’ve yet to miss a volume ordering the way I do. :)
That's good to know, I might just have to start trying this method out.

Personally I prefer to pre-order with Book Depository, they are always really fast at sending it out.

They are my #1 go to but I will also use Blackwells occasionally since Book Depository doesn't always have pre-orders of later volumes available. Good experiences with both but I just find Book Depository a bit faster so I prefer to use them.

I had a pre-order with Amazon (my first ever time trying to use them for pre-orders so talk about a bad first impression!) and they pushed the release date back a month even though everywhere else had it in stock and available, so I don't think I'll use their pre-order service again unless I have to.

I would only get mangas and light novels from amazon when they are in stock as they are notorious for not having the pre-orders on time and having different dates to everywhere else, which is strange as Amazon own Book Depository.

I would only get mangas and light novels from amazon when they are in stock as they are notorious for not having the pre-orders on time and having different dates to everywhere else, which is strange as Amazon own Book Depository.
Really? I didn't know, that makes it weirder considering Book Depository had my pre-order manga in stock when Amazon delayed it so I cancelled my Amazon order to use Book Depository instead.

Really? I didn't know, that makes it weirder considering Book Depository had my pre-order manga in stock when Amazon delayed it so I cancelled my Amazon order to use Book Depository instead.
They used to be separate until Amazon bought Book Depository a few years ago. I can only think that they have different ordering systems for why BD has items while Amazon don't.

Back