Big anime projects on the horizon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Katsuhiro Otomo's (the famed anime director of AKIRA and Steamboy) next project will be a live action adaptation of the whimsical fantasy story Mushishi, which is currently airing as an anime series on Japanese TV.

Mamoru Oshii (director of, amongst other famous anime films, Ghost in the Shell) has also recently announced that his next project will be a romantic anime movie. He has been quoted as saying that the story will be "very straight forward", a polar opposite to his often complex and philosophical efforts.

Lastly, with rumours abound of Hayao Miyazaki's next work, Studio Ghibli have set a December date to announce their next movie project.

I'm looking forward to the next Miyazaki picture. I read somewhere he's not doing many more, maybe as little as one or two, so anything he and Ghibli bring out will be a treat.

I'm actually interested in the romace that Mamoru Oshii is proposing. I like the direction of his films, but GitS didn't really do anything for me with regards to storyline. So something a bit more straightforward might be just the thing.

I'm also very interested in seeing how Oshii will approach such an unusual project, but I'm inevitably extremely interested in seeing what Ghibli come up with next. The rumours are that it will be another book adaptation rather than an original Miyazaki screenplay though.

As for Otomo, he's not well-known for live action stuff (he has done some in the past I think but I can't recall the title), and Mushishi isn't really what I'd expect him to work on either so that will be exciting too.

I'm not that excited about Ghibli, because it's highly likely that whatever they release will be very good, but Oshii's simple romantic idea will be interesting, even if just to see how he deals with creating such a straight foward feature.

Mushishi has been very good so far, so I'm looking naturally foward to the adapation, and how Otome will deal with a more laid back series.

From what I've seen of Mushishi so far, it could make a quite brilliant live-action movie, the effects and the characters are off beat enough to be stylish but never go over the top into comic book style.. I think Otomo has really picked a good story to adapt.

Back