Blu-ray and PC Monitor

Rui said:
It would help to explain which models you have, or better yet which ports you have available ;)

R

Oh right, well i don't know what model my monitor is but its an hp and it only has a VGA input on the back besides the power so i was thinking of getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDM...I6FC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321734132&sr=8-1 but from what I've read online this cables used for connecting monitors to TVs more than what i'm thinking of using it for. The Blu-ray player is an LG with HDMI and AV inputs.

Ah, if you only have VGA that one won't work. I think you'll need a device to sit between the two to convert the signal. It will probably be easier in the long run to just replace the monitor with a cheap fully digital one ^^;

R

You need a converter, too, like you said (there are HDCP issues along with the digital > analog issue), but I'm still p.sure it would be cheaper than a new monitor. Especially if he has a nice large CRT one.

What's your monitor's native resolution daichi? I'd just be rather surprised if a monitor old enough to have only a VGA input is capable of displaying in 1920x1080... I think every monitor I've had in about the last ten years has had a DVI input.

It's not so much a case of the age, as the size. VGA monitors generally have native resolutions relative to the dimensions of the screen.

Well, it probably doesn't need to be full 1920x1080 if that's the only viewing device available.

I assumed it would be a fairly old one too and easily replaced (I don't like buying specific parts for old kit I'll need to replace anyway soon), but if it is a nice one then fair enough!

R

ayase said:
What's your monitor's native resolution daichi? I'd just be rather surprised if a monitor old enough to have only a VGA input is capable of displaying in 1920x1080... I think every monitor I've had in about the last ten years has had a DVI input.

Its a pretty old monitor so i'm not sure of its native resolution but its got a 19inch screen. It does have an option for 1980x1280 resolution available when i use it with my xbox though.

Rui said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Male-SVGA-Converter-Cable/dp/B003X924P4/ is the kind of cable, original poster. It's a bit confusingly worded.

R

So it looks like i'm gonna need this cable and a converter since i already have an hdmi cable. what converter would i need though? a hdmi-vga one?

You need something to do the digital > analog conversion, I do not know the absolute best solution in terms of which specific one to buy.

Back