Differences between the old and new forum

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I thought this might be useful.

Theme

You can change the forum's theme or skin in the Board Preferences section of your User Control Panel. I've enabled all of the default ones, so go nuts. You can make it look close to the original AUKN forum with prosilver and I'll make that the default if there's strong demand.

BB codes

Not a feature of this new forum hosting service at the moment. Sorry. But I think you can embed videos directly.
I have emailed the host to ask about spoiler tags and will see what they say. If they can't do them, maybe this place will have to relocate to somewhere which isn't so locked down - but it will be announced if that happens.

Post counts, history, ranks

All currently lying dormant with the original site. I'll see what can be done when Chaos has some time, but no promises.

Smilies

If anyone wants any specific ones or happens to have a backup of the old AUKN ones (heh) I'll upload them.

Staff

If you are/were staff and I haven't found and added you to the Staff forum group please ping me a message.

Restoring the old forum posts

I'll do my best but I don't know what's possible yet.

R

I'm not sure how this worked originally so pardon the potentially silly question.

Would we be able to get back whatever gave us notifications on the previous forum, so like we'd get notified when quoted and such? Obviously just a nicety rather than anything else but if possible it would be nice to have back. :)

Demelza said:
I'm not sure how this worked originally so pardon the potentially silly question.

Would we be able to get back whatever gave us notifications on the previous forum, so like we'd get notified when quoted and such? Obviously just a nicety rather than anything else but if possible it would be nice to have back. :)

Does Control Panel> Board Preferences> "Notify me upon replies by default" do the trick for this? If so I have no idea why it's not in the same place as all of the similar options.

If not, I'll put my thinking cap on.

R

Rui said:
Does Control Panel> Board Preferences> "Notify me upon replies by default" do the trick for this? If so I have no idea why it's not in the same place as all of the similar options.

R

I've flicked the option on, so basically if you'd be able to respond and quote this for me we'll find out!

Demelza said:
Rui said:

R

I've flicked the option on, so basically if you'd be able to respond and quote this for me we'll find out!

Test :)

Is there a way to get the forum to automatically put you back into the thread you posted in rather than a screen with a link you have to click to get back?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Is there a way to get the forum to automatically put you back into the thread you posted in rather than a screen with a link you have to click to get back?
It should automatically redirect after a few seconds.

Cheers IL!

Looks like rather than notifying me anywhere on site it just sends me an email. That's alright though, it works for now ^^

Ok, now I've relocated the backup site there are more differences.

Spoiler buttons and horizontal lines are back.

Themes/skins are back down to subsilver/prosilver. Prosilver is the default again but you can revert to the old skin in your control panel.

Some avatars need reuploading (sorry). If you can't be bothered I'll fix them tomorrow.

Attachments are gone at the moment because hardly anyone used them and they made the page longer. If there is demand they can return, but embedding images via imgur is probably better for 99% of people.

The in-line previews are gone for now because they were too annoying in any post with multiple links. I'll look into them tomorrow.

Goodnight!

R

Regular spoiler tags are now working.

Avatars from the free hosting have been restored after I dumbly put some of them in the wrong place last night.

You can now embed individual tweets with the tweet BBcode to make quoting from Twitter a little prettier.

And YouTube linking should be working the way it used to.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing this forum doesn't have quite the spam filter the old one did, seem to be getting a bit of spam in off topic.

ayase said:
I'm guessing this forum doesn't have quite the spam filter the old one did, seem to be getting a bit of spam in off topic.
Apparently not. I've deleted the spam for now, and I'm sure we can look into upgrading the spam filter. :)

ayase said:

Sadly the years of updates to the banlist are all gone, so we need to block the main culprits again for a while. I have a very ungenerous policy on how widely I ban various things based on spam so it should eventually settle down >_>

(If it gets much worse I'll take more aggressive action but I'm hoping it won't...)

R

Aye, I expect you've got plenty of work on as it is, just thought I'd point it out in case there was a quick fix.

Also hello mysterious new admin with 18 invisible posts...

DragonBlaze67 said:
Is it possible to add notifications back to the forum? I'm sure quite a few of us miss knowing when someone's quoted one of our posts.

They should still be there. Make sure that the box for notifications is checked under your post (there's an option to make it the default in your control panel).

R

Back