farzam1999's Custom Cover Art

farzam1999

Hunter
So it's been a while since I did custom covers, but I thought I might give it another go.
I've created the thread to show you guys the stuff I'm working on, and hoping to get some feedback.

Generally my brother does my custom covers, as he does them really well and gets creative when doing so.
Me, I like to do simple customs, I avoid doing credits/synopsis on the back of the cover as I basically don't know how.

I'll upload my covers in smaller sizes here, but if you want any of the covers, just send me a PM :D

Last edited:

farzam1999

Hunter
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Here's the one that I'm working on:

Version 1.jpg

Version 2.jpg

Version 1 (alt. front).jpg

Version 2 (alt. front).jpg

There's a little mistake on them, the blu-ray logo on the spine should be around 50 pixels lower.

Last edited:

farzam1999

Hunter
Noticed more mistakes! - tbf it's been some years since I last made covers lol.
The cover itself was too small for a 4 disc case, so I've made it larger.
Added some pictures to the back (and text!) and made the spine a bit prettier (imo).

Steins;Gate1.jpg

ayase

State Alchemist
I like 'em. I made my own for the Patlabor DVDs because CPM's covers were so godawful when that show has so much great art. Used Akemi Takada scans and tried to make the style match that of the old Beez/Bandai releases of the movies, which were very nice and minimalist. Chucked them in the bin and put the old covers back on when I listed them for sale, but nobody's ever bought them so I kind of regret it now. Speaking of, still available over a year later, everything still listed!

Also made my own for a few old MVM multi-volume DVD releases, due to their amazing and confounding (and seemingly still continuing) ability to make the spines of multi volume releases in some way different from one another or fail to line up properly. Templates are your friend, MVM cover art guy or gal, though I've been saying this for a decade now so I don't really expect them to take notice.
Me, I like to do simple customs, I avoid doing credits/synopsis on the back of the cover as I basically don't know how.
Honestly, since it's for your own use I wouldn't even bother. Other than an episode listing and disc number if it's a multi-volume release, you already know what the show is, there's not really any need to tell yourself :p That's room that could be used for more art.

farzam1999

Hunter
Thanks for the input! - never thought about doing the episode list. But I don't know how to fit in 25 episodes on the back lol.
Here's without a synopsis, but a quote.
1552209332075.png

farzam1999

Hunter
Now working on (well, until I get more ideas for S;G):
1552212213642.png
Having a hard time finding pictures for this one. Anyone know where to download high res anime posters?

Luna

Pokémon Master
Perhaps it's just me, but the 90° turned BD logo feels uncanny to me.
Kind of surprised you went for black for Steins;Gate. As the show's colour palette isn't centered around black at all. Or is this just a placeholder like greenscreen backgrounds?
(Where did you get those image in high resolution btw. and already rendered on top of it. oo)

The white lines on the screens and on the spine appear a bit too thick. At least S;G has a line on it's title as well, which looks a lot more slim.

farzam1999

Hunter
Perhaps it's just me, but the 90° turned BD logo feels uncanny to me.
Kind of surprised you went for black for Steins;Gate. As the show's colour palette isn't centered around black at all. Or is this just a placeholder like greenscreen backgrounds?
(Where did you get those image in high resolution btw. and already rendered on top of it. oo)

The white lines on the screens and on the spine appear a bit too thick. At least S;G has a line on it's title as well, which looks a lot more slim.
Hmm, I thought about doing a flat BD logo, but don't know where to place it. A flat logo is usually at the bottom, but where should the FUNi logo be lol. The 90 degree turn is done by Warner Bros. so I thought I'd go that way.

I did want to do a white cover as well (so it matches the US movie). But idk why the S;G logo became a bit hard to read imo.) I can try to do it, and post it.
Just google around A LOT, use other word in the search as well. (for example: Steins Gate transparent, then use the search tool to get large images on Google), I also got a lot from Pinterest, and a reviewer who took the screenshots.

I'll try to make the lines thinner, I just made something up as a placeholder.
Thanks a lot for the input!

Also did a take on this. I dislike the digipack that Criterion released, so I'm doing my own lol.
Udklip.PNG

Luna

Pokémon Master
Hmm, I thought about doing a flat BD logo, but don't know where to place it. A flat logo is usually at the bottom, but where should the FUNi logo be lol. The 90 degree turn is done by Warner Bros. so I thought I'd go that way.
Below the Funi logo? Recent Funis x Crunchyroll have both logos there, so there is at least the space. Though Funi's flat logos are also on the top, just in the blue stripe spine.

I did want to do a white cover as well (so it matches the US movie). But idk why the S;G logo became a bit hard to read imo.)
Perhaps you should go for the image with the backgrounds then, like the original Funi AC cover.
A general solution to readalibity seems add this sort of shadow-cloud below the title (like Funi's half parts have), but I guess that needs some editing skills to find the right hue. Funi's are grey, the french one seems to go a bit more to blue-grey.

Just google around A LOT, use other word in the search as well. (for example: Steins Gate transparent, then use the search tool to get large images on Google),
Mind giving me those? Especially the same as the Funi AC cover. Had been slightly sour, because the French release's A4 artbook is cool, but of course the two images I liked most were scaled down. One of them was this image and I hadn't seen it in high resolution anywhere.

Though the S;G Elite cover is also kind of misleading, totally looks like a game cover.
(While S;G Elite uses the anime footage and the new footage is trying to be of the same style, it very often doesn't look that much like it upon closer inspection. Not sure why. Something about colour compositing or so?)

I also got a lot from Pinterest, and a reviewer who took the screenshots.
Screenshots are never all that hard to get, can be taken by yourself anyway. Though I'd suggest perhaps not to take the bloody coat image, it's neither examplary of what the show is about and a spoiler of the last couple of episodes, too, lol.
Just don't use screenshots for the cover for S;G. Peppermint Germany did that for the chipbox and it looks.... not so great. S;G has great direction, but the frames themselves aren't brimming with details, polish and eyecatching crispness at all.[/quote]

Luna

Pokémon Master
Was I too slow, with the other post, lol.
Um, I think It took a wrong turn. The white is somehow garish in my eyes (also not fitting the series, S;G is generally bleached out-ish, it doesn't have a lot of saturated colours) and moreover the rendered cover's lines are.. what was the right word for that again...
Like it's not smooth, it's rought and you can see the pixel fragments, like cloth that was teared off instead of cut. It's not as disctinct on the black background, because the lines themselves are black.

farzam1999

Hunter
Hmm, I'll fiddle around with the spine and see what I can do. Maybe move the S;G logo up a bit more and fit the blu-ray logo under the FUNi one.

Maybe I'll the backside to my brother and see what he can do with it.

The white is really bright, personally I like the black one more.

Captaaainuniverse

Guild Member
I can see why you're putting kurisu and Okabe on the spine, I imagine it's something the original cover artists might do, but I do like the just Kurisu spines, with what practically everyone does as a splash page/covers is the white background, I think it's the white background throughout the OP that makes it look better that way
Now working on (well, until I get more ideas for S;G):
View attachment 7478
Having a hard time finding pictures for this one. Anyone know where to download high res anime posters?
I would mention Revvy's bum (lol!) well at least the season 1 I have is like that, but I imagine you'd want a face from one of the main cast rather than someone's backside

Edit to avoid the Dreaded Double Post: I just had an idea for one, though @farzam1999 I imagine you might not want to actually do it, just an idea (and one that might be really hard to find good images for) Belladonna Of Sadness

the CE boxart I have is pretty much just Jeane's face screaming, I just thought it might look better with her in her green dress front and centre

Last edited:

farzam1999

Hunter
I can see why you're putting kurisu and Okabe on the spine, I imagine it's something the original cover artists might do, but I do like the just Kurisu spines, with what practically everyone does as a splash page/covers is the white background, I think it's the white background throughout the OP that makes it look better that way

I would mention Revvy's bum (lol!) well at least the season 1 I have is like that, but I imagine you'd want a face from one of the main cast rather than someone's backside

Edit to avoid the Dreaded Double Post: I just had an idea for one, though @farzam1999 I imagine you might not want to actually do it, just an idea (and one that might be really hard to find good images for) Belladonna Of Sadness

the CE boxart I have is pretty much just Jeane's face screaming, I just thought it might look better with her in her green dress front and centre
I thought about the just Kurisu spine, but then I noticed, it's the same picture of her as the front cover.

Good idea on Belladonna (haven't seen it myself), but it gets a lot of good reviews. But there isn't that many people who know of it, so I imagine it would be hard to find images for it. Maybe I'd try to do one.

farzam1999

Hunter
So it seems I forgot that some of the ones that I was working on was 3 disc, not 4 disc. So a change had to be made in the size of the spine. I made two templates, all finished with helplines.

These are the ones I've got going at the moment.
spines.jpg

Steins;Gate is pretty much done, and the only big thing missing on Black Lagoon is the front picture.

Last edited:

farzam1999

Hunter
Let's do this again!
I'm gonna try out a new design, much easier for me too lol

agk.PNG

aot.PNG

bl.PNG

sg.PNG

Just missing the back image for some of them.

Captaaainuniverse

Guild Member
Akame Ga Kill just looks like a marketing image, but I really like that you found good front image for Black Lagoon, your stiens:gate covers have always been the best though

farzam1999

Hunter
Akame Ga Kill just looks like a marketing image, but I really like that you found good front image for Black Lagoon, your stiens:gate covers have always been the best though
Thanks for the feedback! - It's mostly hard to find images for Akame lol, it seems to be lesser known (compared to AoT and Steins;Gate), but I'll keep looking!