Thanks for the heads up. It says English on there but I'm a tad bit wary of my last Japanese VN Switch version purchase that ended up only being in Japanese, despite there being a digital English version for that on the Switch store...
It was advertised on type moons website (albeit lowkey) a while ago as having an english option which is why a lot of folk are excited for this re-release in particular. If this turns out to be a lie though then I will be very sad.
On another note, I am completely hooked on FGO to a level that's rather concerning! Reminds me of my addiction to FF VIII on my PS1, during another lifetime when I was at school. Thank you very much for the help with your servants by the way, really helps to storm through, just about to start the London singularity now.
Wow you have made good progress, and thank you for the friendpoints :). Just don't get hooked on it's gacha element though, that is never a good idea.

Wow you have made good progress, and thank you for the friendpoints :). Just don't get hooked on it's gacha element though, that is never a good idea.
No worries dude and yeah I was only doing the story quests with borrowed overpowered servants but have finally run too low on AP now so having to take a break from it for a bit heh. I'm too cheap and broke, relatively speaking, to even consider throwing hard cash into the vacuum cleaner that is gacha. I had been wondering where the gacha element came in as I didn't even realise AP was a thing until I figured out to use the AP-draining daily quests for leveling up items heh. From reading around it seems I should've maybe done some research on which servants to roll and get to use for the full Ascension option and the 17 million downloads giveaway. Any good guides you'd recommend for FGO?

No worries dude and yeah I was only doing the story quests with borrowed overpowered servants but have finally run too low on AP now so having to take a break from it for a bit heh. I'm too cheap and broke, relatively speaking, to even consider throwing hard cash into the vacuum cleaner that is gacha. I had been wondering where the gacha element came in as I didn't even realise AP was a thing until I figured out to use the AP-draining daily quests for leveling up items heh. From reading around it seems I should've maybe done some research on which servants to roll and get to use for the full Ascension option and the 17 million downloads giveaway. Any good guides you'd recommend for FGO?
Well it's not necessary to wait for the best servants as you can clear story content with whoever you want. I don't really follow any guides myself but just keeping up with the release news really. We are two years behind the japanese server for content so once you get into the flow it's easy to save up your gems for who you want. My recomendation is to youtube this years upcoming servants if you want people to talk about the pros and cons of each servant for 2022 which is what most people do. Then of course you have free event servants (we have just started a last years summer re-run as well)

The upcoming servant of choice is Caster Artoria for meta.

What servants have you got currently? Initial lineups can sometimes help work out ones to go for, though what it boils down to are two options.
1) Meta. As already said here, Caster Artoria is the next meta servant. Merlin is out right now but you likely don't have much SQ saved at the moment to get him, and really he shines in challenge quests. Caster Artoria shines in challenge quests and farming (aka 80% of any event that goes on) so she's highly worth saving your SQ for, even if you lack strong offensive servants at the moment.
2) Favourites. There is always benefit in going for a servant that you love. Hell, sometimes you will actual find that a servant you get early on in the game becomes a favourite. That's how Okita became mine, she's the servant I've had since almost near the start and has been a stable of my team ever since where possible, and why I used a lot of SQ that I had stored up for her summer variant (which will be out next week). I'd recommend watching the videos for this year's recommended servants and upcoming ones and seeing which ones you might like, whether it is from a gameplay perspective or a design perspective. One that ticks both boxes is usually good.

As an extra thing worth noting, the anniversary will be in June/July I think (when Caster Artoria will appear) and at the same time there is a guaranteed gacha, basically 15SQ for 1 5 star from a pool. With the drop rates they have, that's massive. If you decide to do it, I recommend looking up what servant is in what banner and going for the banner that either has a chance for the one you really want or has a lot of servants that you want and wouldn't mind getting one of them. If you want any recommendations there let me know.

Awesome sauce, thanks guys. Good to know about being behind and being able to plan what to aim for - Caster Artoria definitely sounds like one to get (even if on paper she just sounds wrong for the caster class heh); will be checking out some videos as recommended. That anniversary event sounds pretty good so I'm glad that I haven't used my SQs yet - thanks for the top tip!

I got Emiya 4* to start by luck, which was handy as he ticks the favourite and my preferred offence-type-character box. Was finding overpowered support servants with AoE NPs quite useful to progress so chose to get Atoria Pendragon as the free 5*, and she also ticks a favourites box (I'm clearly a fan of stay/night heh; there has to be Dark Sakura lurking in here somewhere, though I have seen one that looks like a kiddie version of her). Trying to get Hokusai in the current event who should be useful as I'm finding I need a single-target-focused NP, especially after getting my a**e handed back to me by the Okeanos boss until I changed support-selection strategy heh.

If you want any recommendations there let me know.
Yes please! Others' experience is invaluable to save the limited time available to me for the grinding. I'd read that Waver & Merlin are the best down to their support features, whom I hadn't even considered as was focusing on offence only previously. But now going to definitely wait for the Caster Artoria and in the meantime stick to the current event and main story whilst gradually levelling up current characters.

On topic of meta I actually have Waver, Merlin, Skadi and even The Count of Monte Cristo but not properly levelled lol.
Heh yeah I'm being cautious about levelling up just anyone, until I get a better feel for how difficult or not it is to grind the items required. Forgive my ignorance please, but what do you mean by meta here? I think I'm getting the context very wrong heh.

Heh yeah I'm being cautious about levelling up just anyone, until I get a better feel for how difficult or not it is to grind the items required. Forgive my ignorance please, but what do you mean by meta here? I think I'm getting the context very wrong heh.
Meta is a loose term for "the best characters" ironically in terms of making grinding and events easier though with the goal being to clear the daily stages in "3 turns" which is the minimum it can be done by. It's also bragging rights for people to show off the damage they can do with x character. It's not necessary for story though.

Meta is a loose term for "the best characters" ironically in terms of making grinding and events easier though with the goal being to clear the daily stages in "3 turns" which is the minimum it can be done by. It's also bragging rights for people to show off the damage they can do with x character. It's not necessary for story though.
Ah cool, good to know the lingo. Certainly useful to have characters that make the grind easier but fortunately, as you said, I've found it to be relatively easy, probably down to the support system heh (thanks again for your characters!), to keep progressing through the story. I have to say it is fun to play, in a very final fantasy way, so not the worst game to have to grind in. On the mention of favourites and Skadi, I'm very much wanting to get lancer Scathach at some point, down to uhhh the aesthetics let's say, and she seems like a complete badass.

Having watched no Fate anime, I bought Lord El-Melloi's Case Files as a deal of the week.

Finished 0-3 in a few days. Thoroughly enjoying it. Like the characters and setting.
I felt it gave me just enough information to set up.
And there's a car chase. 😀

Ah cool, good to know the lingo. Certainly useful to have characters that make the grind easier but fortunately, as you said, I've found it to be relatively easy, probably down to the support system heh (thanks again for your characters!), to keep progressing through the story. I have to say it is fun to play, in a very final fantasy way, so not the worst game to have to grind in. On the mention of favourites and Skadi, I'm very much wanting to get lancer Scathach at some point, down to uhhh the aesthetics let's say, and she seems like a complete badass.
Good luck in your pulls, she will most likely get a rerun eventually.
Having watched no Fate anime, I bought Lord El-Melloi's Case Files as a deal of the week.

Finished 0-3 in a few days. Thoroughly enjoying it. Like the characters and setting.
I felt it gave me just enough information to set up.
And there's a car chase. 😀
Ah nice, glad you enjoyed it man. If you are interested in any of the other shows I made a fairly detailed guide on the first page :)

Awesome sauce, thanks guys. Good to know about being behind and being able to plan what to aim for - Caster Artoria definitely sounds like one to get (even if on paper she just sounds wrong for the caster class heh); will be checking out some videos as recommended. That anniversary event sounds pretty good so I'm glad that I haven't used my SQs yet - thanks for the top tip!

I got Emiya 4* to start by luck, which was handy as he ticks the favourite and my preferred offence-type-character box. Was finding overpowered support servants with AoE NPs quite useful to progress so chose to get Atoria Pendragon as the free 5*, and she also ticks a favourites box (I'm clearly a fan of stay/night heh; there has to be Dark Sakura lurking in here somewhere, though I have seen one that looks like a kiddie version of her). Trying to get Hokusai in the current event who should be useful as I'm finding I need a single-target-focused NP, especially after getting my a**e handed back to me by the Okeanos boss until I changed support-selection strategy heh.

Yes please! Others' experience is invaluable to save the limited time available to me for the grinding. I'd read that Waver & Merlin are the best down to their support features, whom I hadn't even considered as was focusing on offence only previously. But now going to definitely wait for the Caster Artoria and in the meantime stick to the current event and main story whilst gradually levelling up current characters.

So the Dark Sakura you are thinking of here is Kama. I think her rerun is coming as the next event, so that's not too long away but then you may also not have much SQ yet and may want to pass and try for Caster Artoria instead. It depends on what you want, since the latter is more for making your team good while the former is good as a single unit. Though for the details on Kama here, she has a different form in each ascension. That's her first ascension form.
With Saber Hokusai right now, you're doing the right thing. She's arguably one of the best welfare servants out there, and as a new player you'll want to get her and as many copies of her as you can to max out her NP along with her ascension items when the events offer them. It may take a bit to get her to her full potential but she is a hell of a unit, and whether you got Kama or Caster Artoria she'd honestly work with each since one gives stars, the other buffs arts.

With Emiya right now anyway, you've got a good 4 star there. He takes a bit of investment to truly shine, as you want to upgrade his skills with their appropriate quests when available, but once that happens he's pretty strong.
Artoria too is a decent 5 star to have. She hasn't got it yet but in a few months at the latest she'll get a skill upgrade that turns all her cards to buster along with a damage boost for them. She'll be hitting very hard at that point.

For servants like Merlin and Waver, particularly the latter, even if you lack them I can assure you that people you start to get on your friends' lists won't. Most people will put support servants over damage dealing servants for casters in their supports as when it comes to casters, damage isn't really what they excel in and those that do aren't as useful as a powerful support, especially ones like Waver for farming. There will be another chance for a 5 star later on, so if you want him you can always go for him later depending on what you are after.

You mentioned wanting Lancer Scathach? Good news, if you do get her when she does have a banner you'll find she is a very strong unit. Especially against servants like Gilgamesh.

Servants I would recommend would be of the following, and note that this is just my recommendations. Everyone will have their own ideas of good servants, but this is from my own experience.
Mashu - Level her up. Early on you may not get much use of her from the level cap, but when you do unlock her full potential later she's invaluable, whether from the zero unit cost or due to her strong defensive skills when you're in a longer battle.
Cu - Some people see him as like a roach. He just won't die very easily. 3 evades, and a guts. He's a good starting lancer, since he's a 3 star you'll get him easily, and he saved my team countless times early on when he was the last man standing.
Caster Gil - An AOE Caster, he's got decent NP generation and and decent damage. There may be better AOE casters out there but he's a solid choice that I use.
Herc - He may be squishy but he hits hard. If you get him, best to give him something that starts him off with as much NP charge as possible so he can take down a strong enemy quickly before something kills him but burning through his guts and evades.
Tomoe Gozen - A strong single target Archer. I'm not sure what her rate up status is though so she may take a while to show up. She's a decent Archer though, and an easier alternative to some 5 stars.
Space Ishtar - I'm trying to avoid mentioning many 5 stars, outside of those mentioned prior, but she's worth mentioning purely because she'll fit in any team for farming. She can change her NP to any type you want, with a battery for NP charge too. She doesn't get class advantage but she'll do her job well regardless.
Finally, my personal favourite, Okita. One of the earliest limited servants, and still holds out strong today. She's yet to get any skill upgrades (they are coming though) because skill upgrades were for servants with issues or who were now lacking. That tells you how strong she was, and still is. Brilliant star generation, along with good NP generation, and a single target NP that ignores defence, she's been the centre of my teams for a long time, only stopping for a while when her bond maxed out and I was trying to max out others. Since her new limit is 15 for bond, she's back into teams full time. Since she's limited her rate ups are rare but I couldn't resist mentioning her here.

As for the guaranteed 5 star banner when it does arrive, it'll be split up by the year servants were released. The first banner has a lot of strong servants, like Scathach, Gilgamesh, Okita, Raiko, Jeanne Alter, Nero Bride, and Kintoki. But there is a lot of servants, 14 in total, so if you only want 1, it's a 1/14 chance and with these banners you want to know how many you would be happy getting against how many are available.
The second banner, has Musashi, Archer Artoria (one of the best single target archers in the game for NP looping), Ishtar, Merlin, First Hassan, and Melt. But there are 15 in total here, so similar situation again.
The third only has 11, with the ones I'd say are great there being Ereshkigal (sometimes debatable), Skadi, and Hokusai.
Fourth has 10, with Kama, Arjuna Alter, and Summer BB being the best there I'd say.
Finally the fifth also has 10, with Super Orion, Romulus, Summer Musashi, Summer Ruler Artoria, Space Ishtar, and two possible foreigners.
Honestly here, the best thing to do will be to look at the lists when they do become available and decide, based on those available, which you want, which you don't, and see which banner has the best chance at getting you a useful servant that you like or at least one you'd be happy with. You can still simply go for the banner that has the servant you want the most too, since you never know, but you want to be prepared for it to not be them most of the time.

So the Dark Sakura you are thinking of here is Kama. I think her rerun is coming as the next event, so that's not too long away but then you may also not have much SQ yet and may want to pass and try for Caster Artoria instead. It depends on what you want, since the latter is more for making your team good while the former is good as a single unit. Though for the details on Kama here, she has a different form in each ascension. That's her first ascension form.
With Saber Hokusai right now, you're doing the right thing. She's arguably one of the best welfare servants out there, and as a new player you'll want to get her and as many copies of her as you can to max out her NP along with her ascension items when the events offer them. It may take a bit to get her to her full potential but she is a hell of a unit, and whether you got Kama or Caster Artoria she'd honestly work with each since one gives stars, the other buffs arts.

With Emiya right now anyway, you've got a good 4 star there. He takes a bit of investment to truly shine, as you want to upgrade his skills with their appropriate quests when available, but once that happens he's pretty strong.
Artoria too is a decent 5 star to have. She hasn't got it yet but in a few months at the latest she'll get a skill upgrade that turns all her cards to buster along with a damage boost for them. She'll be hitting very hard at that point.

For servants like Merlin and Waver, particularly the latter, even if you lack them I can assure you that people you start to get on your friends' lists won't. Most people will put support servants over damage dealing servants for casters in their supports as when it comes to casters, damage isn't really what they excel in and those that do aren't as useful as a powerful support, especially ones like Waver for farming. There will be another chance for a 5 star later on, so if you want him you can always go for him later depending on what you are after.

You mentioned wanting Lancer Scathach? Good news, if you do get her when she does have a banner you'll find she is a very strong unit. Especially against servants like Gilgamesh.

Servants I would recommend would be of the following, and note that this is just my recommendations. Everyone will have their own ideas of good servants, but this is from my own experience.
Mashu - Level her up. Early on you may not get much use of her from the level cap, but when you do unlock her full potential later she's invaluable, whether from the zero unit cost or due to her strong defensive skills when you're in a longer battle.
Cu - Some people see him as like a roach. He just won't die very easily. 3 evades, and a guts. He's a good starting lancer, since he's a 3 star you'll get him easily, and he saved my team countless times early on when he was the last man standing.
Caster Gil - An AOE Caster, he's got decent NP generation and and decent damage. There may be better AOE casters out there but he's a solid choice that I use.
Herc - He may be squishy but he hits hard. If you get him, best to give him something that starts him off with as much NP charge as possible so he can take down a strong enemy quickly before something kills him but burning through his guts and evades.
Tomoe Gozen - A strong single target Archer. I'm not sure what her rate up status is though so she may take a while to show up. She's a decent Archer though, and an easier alternative to some 5 stars.
Space Ishtar - I'm trying to avoid mentioning many 5 stars, outside of those mentioned prior, but she's worth mentioning purely because she'll fit in any team for farming. She can change her NP to any type you want, with a battery for NP charge too. She doesn't get class advantage but she'll do her job well regardless.
Finally, my personal favourite, Okita. One of the earliest limited servants, and still holds out strong today. She's yet to get any skill upgrades (they are coming though) because skill upgrades were for servants with issues or who were now lacking. That tells you how strong she was, and still is. Brilliant star generation, along with good NP generation, and a single target NP that ignores defence, she's been the centre of my teams for a long time, only stopping for a while when her bond maxed out and I was trying to max out others. Since her new limit is 15 for bond, she's back into teams full time. Since she's limited her rate ups are rare but I couldn't resist mentioning her here.

As for the guaranteed 5 star banner when it does arrive, it'll be split up by the year servants were released. The first banner has a lot of strong servants, like Scathach, Gilgamesh, Okita, Raiko, Jeanne Alter, Nero Bride, and Kintoki. But there is a lot of servants, 14 in total, so if you only want 1, it's a 1/14 chance and with these banners you want to know how many you would be happy getting against how many are available.
The second banner, has Musashi, Archer Artoria (one of the best single target archers in the game for NP looping), Ishtar, Merlin, First Hassan, and Melt. But there are 15 in total here, so similar situation again.
The third only has 11, with the ones I'd say are great there being Ereshkigal (sometimes debatable), Skadi, and Hokusai.
Fourth has 10, with Kama, Arjuna Alter, and Summer BB being the best there I'd say.
Finally the fifth also has 10, with Super Orion, Romulus, Summer Musashi, Summer Ruler Artoria, Space Ishtar, and two possible foreigners.
Honestly here, the best thing to do will be to look at the lists when they do become available and decide, based on those available, which you want, which you don't, and see which banner has the best chance at getting you a useful servant that you like or at least one you'd be happy with. You can still simply go for the banner that has the servant you want the most too, since you never know, but you want to be prepared for it to not be them most of the time.
Thanks for the very useful and detailed info dude, very much appreciated! Going to try to be saving up for the 5 star banner event as that sounds really impressive with pretty good odds. Of the ones you mentioned, I do have Cu but have clearly underestimated him so will be using him a lot more if he is such a roach heheh. Also good to know about Mash becoming stronger with time. Will be coming back to your posts for the top tips so thanks again to you and @Vincentdante.

Thanks for the very useful and detailed info dude, very much appreciated! Going to try to be saving up for the 5 star banner event as that sounds really impressive with pretty good odds. Of the ones you mentioned, I do have Cu but have clearly underestimated him so will be using him a lot more if he is such a roach heheh. Also good to know about Mash becoming stronger with time. Will be coming back to your posts for the top tips so thanks again to you and @Vincentdante.

Sure thing, glad I could help.
There's a ton of other 3 stars that are good as well but I'm not great at using them since I tend to favourite 4 stars upwards, normally as they are the servants I like more. But there are some real gems there. It's all about skill investment really, since it's still surprising sometimes how much that can change things, especially with reduced cooldowns. Shortening a skill cooldown by 2 may not seem like much when it's still on a 5 turn cooldown, but once you start challenge quests or tough fights getting that skill a turn earlier can make or break your team.

I finished my rewatch of the Fate/Deen show. With the exception of Casters entire arc and a few cut bits it was actually more VN accurate than I remember.

The main parts they removed were the throne of heroes explanation and Saber not being a servant but the actual King Arthur removed from time bits.

Sure thing, glad I could help.
There's a ton of other 3 stars that are good as well but I'm not great at using them since I tend to favourite 4 stars upwards, normally as they are the servants I like more. But there are some real gems there. It's all about skill investment really, since it's still surprising sometimes how much that can change things, especially with reduced cooldowns. Shortening a skill cooldown by 2 may not seem like much when it's still on a 5 turn cooldown, but once you start challenge quests or tough fights getting that skill a turn earlier can make or break your team.
Yeah I'm starting to use the lower star ones more now as those are mainly what I have to start heh but am definitely cottoning on to using their support skills in particular. Started using the Waver-lite Hans Christian Andersen after having mainly invested in attack servants previously. I was going to ask you guys about levelling up skills as they seem to need rare items but I presume the servant training daily quests (only tried one so far as saving my AP for the current event) would be where to farm those? Sadly, for the few I tried upgrading despite my hopes to reduce their cool downs they only got levelled up heh but I've probably not levelled them up enough for dear of using up scant materials.

The main parts they removed
Goodness, those bits sound really important!! Is that why Saber recalls the previous grail war then? Now I've got lore fomo...

Ah good to know, I used to wonder if that was just a plot hole or due to missing trivia as excluding FGO I don't think we haven't seen any other servants re-manifesting in the same universe to confirm this part of the stated lore rules.
Nope it's part of the reason I keep my watch order as it is. The Saber route provides tons of context even if some parts are still missing :)

It may not be the most exciting arc but it's important if you want full understanding of the later arcs.

Yeah I'm starting to use the lower star ones more now as those are mainly what I have to start heh but am definitely cottoning on to using their support skills in particular. Started using the Waver-lite Hans Christian Andersen after having mainly invested in attack servants previously. I was going to ask you guys about levelling up skills as they seem to need rare items but I presume the servant training daily quests (only tried one so far as saving my AP for the current event) would be where to farm those? Sadly, for the few I tried upgrading despite my hopes to reduce their cool downs they only got levelled up heh but I've probably not levelled them up enough for dear of using up scant materials.

Goodness, those bits sound really important!! Is that why Saber recalls the previous grail war then? Now I've got lore fomo...

Unfortunately skill materials aren't that easy. You'd have to look up locations for the necessary drops early on. I never do only because I've been playing long enough that my limiting factor is QP half the time since I tend to buy as many items as possible from events so I'm never short for skills when needed. The dailies are only good for QP, skill gems (necessary at lower skill levels), and EXP.

So basically if you can buy the ones you need during events and buy the ones you don't need too. Also, work out what you need and see if the daily tickets you get each month can provide those resources.

Back