For Criticism, ???? and Profit.

Prof, maybe you can help. I've been out of the drawing game for years, used to draw a lot as a teenager and in my early 20's but life (and work) kinda got in the way. I'd love to get back into it.... sadly I've never been particularly great. Can you recommend any good tutorials or books that teach you to improve your skills? Your drawings look great. It's late as I type this and I haven't watched your vids yet so not sure if you give any advice in these but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to be able to do some art for my anime blog.

Last edited:
Can you recommend any good tutorials or books that teach you to improve your skills?

That's a good question. So much of it is just about mileage - like anything, the more time you put into it, the better the results - but Andrew Loomis's Figure Drawing For All It's Worth is a great book on understanding the fundamentals, if you're interested in drawing people. His style is very much of its time, but it's very comprehensive and still pretty straightforward to follow: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Figure-Drawing-All-its-Worth/dp/0857680986

When it comes to style, there are so many options it's bewildering, but there are a lot of good artists doing tutorials on youtube that might help you get started. Much of it is probably just down to finding someone whose style you like, but Mark Crilley and Draw With Mikey both have some good beginner themed ones:

In my latest bid for fame and fortune, I decided to try the 'cutiesaturday' hashtag on twitter.

DRNaabJX4AAp4Ye.jpg

Seen a few comments lately from people disappointed that Lupin III: Part 5 has not continued the tradition of giving Lupin a new jacket for each seeries, so, as I like a certain Simpsons meme a little too much, I give you: Steamed Hams, but it's Lupin's Jacket. Mmm, steamed hams.

Clicky for big.

For reasons I don't fully understand, this drawing of Poison has been the most popular thing I have ever posted on twitter, by some considerable margin.

DaNpwxkX4AIS2my.jpg

Don't think it really shows much, but I modelled her face on Debbie Harry/Blondie.

Back