Forums have been upgraded

I have changed the spoiler tag system to one which (I hope) actually works. I have no control over the layout/theme tweaks, but please give a shout if you notice any other broken functions.

R, who was traumatised before discovering the 'view unread' option under Quick Links an hour ago

More layout and may well be on the to-do list already but it looks like it's optimized for maybe 1024 width screens at the moment? I'm sat here on 1920 width with loads of white space either side. Not a major issue on primarily text threads but does mean threads with photos are having the photos squished down. I think the old layout always started on the far left and re-sized to fit screen although my brain could be playing tricks on me?

It's broken for me too. I know Chaos had a lot to do so hopefully it will be sorted out very soon.

All of the visual things like the avatar position and width require access to the server to fix, which I don't have. If you know any updated phpBB themes you like you could always email Chaos with a link, he might be able to quickly get them installed as options.

R

ilmaestro said:
(I actually don't mind the change in avatar position >_>)
It's just WRONG maestro, it's like spines on DVD cases that read top to bottom instead of bottom to top.

I quite like the look of this theme if it's at all suitable (I know nothing about phpBB) as it makes unread posts a bit more obvious. Although maybe it's a bit too flat and it does remind me a little of facebook, which is never a good thing. Other than the avatar position that's really the only criticism I have of the new style. It does all look very shiny and new whilst still fairly traditional. Well done chaos.

Better than some forum changes I've seen, although having wide borders to the side of the page (assume it's fixed width rather than fluid)

Any news on whether the forums will go back to what it was, I'm not a big fan of this template. It ruins the spoiler tags and hyperlinks, and makes a couple of my threads messy due to the fixed width.

I don't really mind the template (Although I did prefer the old one), but I agree the spoiler tags do make posts a lot messier, especially when you use a few in short succession.

I'm afraid only Chaos knows and he doesn't read the forums, so the best thing is to email him, sorry ;_;

R

Ok, I've fixed spoiler tags (I hope).

We now have a choice between the regular spoiler tag:

It highlights on mouseover.

Or the new-style expandable button:

The command for this is spoilerbutton and it's on the posting screen if you forget.

I can't do anything more advanced than this with the access I have, sorry. The new theme doesn't work very well on mobile devices too :s

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Back