Gakuen Alice - the next CCS ^_^

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Gakuen Alice, what a lovely anime :D

Picture Cardcaptor Sakura meets Harry Potter and you get a sweet and very enjoyable anime (but not so sweet it rots your teeth :lol: ).

Mikan is a sweet little 10 year old girl who lives in a sleepy village where the only school is threatened with closure. Her best friend, Hotaru, a genius at inventing stuff but somewhat cold, leaves the village to join an exclusive school in Tokyo, Gakuen Alice.
The story truly begins when a distraught Mikan wishes to go see her friend at this grand school and sets off on her own to Tokyo.

I have seen the first 5 episodes and can't wait to see more. The characters are full of life and the story sucks you in from the word go. I could see eliments of CCS with the relationship between Mikan and Hotaru, there's lots of strange things going on in the school, not exactly magic and there are no wizards or witches but the kids and teachers are, shall we say, gifted :D
I can see this anime entertaining lots of different people, not just lovers of cute stuff!!

Thats great because Gakuen Alice is the anime my sister chose for me to download out of that list you gave me, i'm really looking forward to it

I, too, have seen the first episodes, and found it to be great fun. I can't say I see the Cardcaptor Sakura link myself, though I guess the style is similar.

Colin said:
I, too, have seen the first episodes, and found it to be great fun. I can't say I see the Cardcaptor Sakura link myself, though I guess the style is similar.

You didn't notice that Natsume is the spitting image of Shaoron Li? :shock: and Mikan's obsession with Hotaru? as in Tomoyo's obsession with Sakura!! and the fact it's based around 10 year olds!! It also reminded me a little of Childs Toy. The CCS reference was not the content but the feeling you get from the anime :D

That's fair enough; I did already admit the style was similar, after all. It has a bit more energy to it, though, like Kodocha (Child's Toy).

I didn't notice the Shaoran/Natsume thing, although I guess they are fairly similar. As for Mikan's obsession... I'm not yet convinced it's quite as developed as Tomoyo's affection for Sakura. Then again, it's only five episodes in so far.

Edit: I have since heard that it's made rather clear how Mikan feels in episode 11. Lets hope she has more luck in love than Tomoyo, eh?

Incidentally, Hotaru reminds me of Guu. Mostly because of the deadpan expression and the way she tortures Mikan so much.

I get the impression that shoujo anime suffers at the hands of fansubbers as well!
It's not just the lack of official shoujo releases that annoy me, it's the lack of fansubbing interest and so many of these really good shows get ingnored just as you're starting to really enjoy something. I think this has got something to do with the male to female ratio as well :cry:
It seems that the majority of female fansubbers stick with yaoi translations.
Why am I moaning? because it looks like another decent shoujo has been abandoned, i.e. Gakuen Alice *sobs*

I know of a few good girly titles that have been fansubbed; you probably haven't noticed these as you've only recently started downloading them. I'll start a few relevant threads as they come to mind.

Colin said:
I know of a few good girly titles that have been fansubbed; you probably haven't noticed these as you've only recently started downloading them. I'll start a few relevant threads as they come to mind.

That would be much appreciated :D although I don't like sickenly cute stuff like Pita ten or A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar or Digi Charat type ones :lol: (I just end up giving those to my 13 year old daughter!!).

Miaka-chan said:
although I don't like sickenly cute stuff like Pita ten or A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar or Digi Charat type ones
Stay a long way away from Bottle Fairy then. If anything, it's even cuter.

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
although I don't like sickenly cute stuff like Pita ten or A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar or Digi Charat type ones
Stay a long way away from Bottle Fairy then. If anything, it's even cuter.

I did :lol:
As you know (or maybe not!!) I am a doll collector and I could tell just by the figurines and dolls that Bottle Fairy was not for me :D

Just incase anyone is interested! Episode 6 has finally been fansubbed. I'm so glad the fansub group didn't give up on this one, I hear it's supposed to get very dark as the series goes on, even more reason to watch :D

I have still only watched one episode of this, but i completly loved what i saw, i knew i would like it even before i watched the episode just by that opening tune. I can't wait to watch more and i hope they keep going with the fansubbing

I've watched all the 8 episodes available of this so far, and i completely love it. It's just a shame that the fansubbing isn't picking up more momentum, i do hope they continue doing it

Back