Garden of Sinners: Worth a blind buy?

It's good, first few films are a bit slow action wise but it ramps up in the latter half for sure. If you like dark themed mystery then you'll probably enjoy it.

Someone sell me on Garden of Sinners? 🤔
Darker, more serious and more adult version of fate unlimited blade works from ufotable. Can have similar rambling & self-important dialogue at times, but all in all a great set of movies and at that price, under a tenner per movie (chapter 8 is more an epilogue and under half an hour) which is a good deal.

Kara no Kyoukai is friggin' awesome... top ten anime OAT for me...

gos9dvdwideb.jpg

gosle4.jpg

gosle8.jpg

shikipad1.jpg

gosscroll1.jpg

Last edited:
Someone sell me on Garden of Sinners? 🤔
It's a tricky one. Beautiful art and music paired with some extremely dark content; be prepared for graphic dismemberment, gang rape, and cannibalism. Granted, the way it's presented is fairly tame compared to some exploitation OAVs from the 90s, but it's still something to bear in mind.

Garden of Sinners often feels less like a coherent story, and more like the viewer is the subject of a social experiment. It goes out of its way to confuse and frustrate you with a story that, if it has been told in a traditional linear fashion, wouldn't have been that complicated. The writers also seem to challenge themselves to make you hate the main characters at times, just to see if they can make you care about them again later. It's a good series overall, but it can feel like it's messing with you.

For the price, also consider that only two of these are full-length movies, with the rest being around 50 minutes. As for how likely you are to enjoy it, there are many comparisons to be made to the Fate franchise, so the way to feel about that will probably determine how much you'll like Garden of Sinners.

Yeah honestly I bought the DVD set of GoS a few years ago... animation and art/music were pretty but it's also horrifyingly awful thematically... sooo it depends if you like/can handle things like what Dai said above.

Last edited:
I don't like any Fate other than Fate/Zero but I did get a lot of enjoyment out of GoS. The stunning presentation is genuinely worth the time on its own; a lot of artistry came together in the setpieces. I'm a product of the 90s anime scene too though so the darker content didn't feel jarring (it's definitely not a light series at all though).

R

TBF I've seen a fair bit of disturbing content myself (and I am 32) but I guess I have my limits and Garden of Sinners went past them. I hope someone else with a stronger stomach buys and enjoys this Blu-ray deal tho :)

can this discussion be moved elsewhere. Constantly seeing the bargains thread get new posts just to find its still people talking about GoS is starting to get annoying.

Back