General Cartoons Thread

I saw this film called Til Sbornia Do Us Part a few years ago with no subtitles, after being completely enamoured of the trailer. Really enjoyed it :)

Really unique queer love story film called Strange Frame: Love & Sax with influences from Cowboy Bebop (I have the DVD, shame there's no Blu-ray) Trailer NSFW

Intensely weird, creepy animated film available to watch for free on youtube called Heart String Marionette - I love this but it's gonna be a marmite, love-it-or-hate-it kinda movie I suspect (not to be confused with Marimite which has far more universal appeal, relatively speaking) :p NSFW

Consuming Spirits has been on my list of things to see for years now

Feherlofia is being restored in 4K! Woo! :)

The official Ghostbusters Youtube channel is uploading episodes of The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters once a week. I'm sure TRGB will be a nostalgia trip for a lot of people here but XGB........honestly I don't know how received it was back when it aired but it seems it's getting a second chance now
The Real Ghostbusters was a lot of fun back in the 80s. Watching it now, the quality of the episodes is all over the place; some great, others not so much. My favourite was probably Knock, Knock, where they find the door to all the horrors that will be unleashed on doomsday. That one felt like a mini-movie, and the shows never quite reached that level again.

There were some nice DVD steelbooks released in the US for the series. I have the first volume, which includes 30 episodes, and that's probably enough of it for me. I can go a bit nuts buying 80s cartoons sometimes (usually if I'm miserable for some reason), like that time I bought all 130-odd episodes of Thundercats and watched them all over a couple of weeks. That pretty much turned my brain to mush for a while, but I'm sure there were no lasting effects, though sometimes I still feel the magic, hear the roar, Thundercats are loose. Wait, what was I saying?

Has anyone here watched The Legend of Korra?

I'm six episodes in and I just can't get into it. Compared to Avatar, it just feels so...boring. If anyone's seen it - does it get any more lively or is it going to just be a load more sports and romance?

I'm six episodes in and I just can't get into it. Compared to Avatar, it just feels so...boring. If anyone's seen it - does it get any more lively or is it going to just be a load more sports and romance?
I'm in the minority of people who enjoyed Korra more than Avatar. The way each season deals with a specific theme and how they then build to the big finale in season 4 is so well done. Season 1 is the weakest. Season 3 was my favourite.

The first season, IMO, is a bit of a mess overall (unless I’m misremembering it was meant to be standalone but then Nickelodeon changed their minds further into production?), and the second isn’t much better and feels arguably worse overall due to a lacklustre villain - especially when compared to Amon.

The series does come more into its own with the third season though thanks to a great central antagonist and the fourth is quite good as well in dealing with the aftermath from previous events.

Last edited:
Thanks @WMD and @HWR - I'll try and stick with it a bit longer and see how it goes 😅 I'm enjoying the Amon stuff so far, it's just...everything else.

I'll try to cling on until season 3! (though my attention has just drifted over to She-Ra, which I'm really enjoying so far)

Not seen much of this show yet but I love the designs so I think these are super freakin' cool :) I hope to watch it eventually as the CGI looked gorgeous and I was digging the premise and characters, it's amazing how much the quality of CGI TV series has advanced since the days of Transformers: Beast Wars and the original Reboot! (though those were very innovative at the time) :)
I quoted this here (about Miraculous) so it doesn't get lost in the abyss of the RECEIVE thread 😅

It's a really fun show and it looks so nice too! It's pretty much a magical girl show, so if you like stuff like Sailor Moon, I think you'd probably like this too (the dynamic between the two main characters is similar to Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask, just a bit less antagonistic).

All three seasons are on Netflix and Disney Plus now - I'm not sure if it's on TV anymore though (it used to be on the Disney Channel, but that doesn't exist anymore). Disney Plus also has some shorts and a special (with more on the way), so that might be a better option if you've got access to it!

I keep seeing a Miraculous ball (like a football-sized one, but in a softer plastic material) in B&M - I really want it, but I've got no idea where I'd actually put a ball. I'm starting to get a bit obsessed with this ball though, so I think I'm probably going to buy it soon. 😅

So anyone here a Loud House fan (the Nickelodeon show about 1 boy who lives with 10 sisters)?.........well for the first time since Fairly Oddparents, a Nicktoon gets a live action movie version of it!

This year marks the 30th anniversary of BatmanTAS and I don't know if anyone here is aware but there's a audio drama continuation of the show in the works and it looks like WB/DC are trying to get as much of the original voice cast back for this as they can. So far only Kevin Conroy (Batman) and John Glover (Riddler) are confirmed. I'm excited and intriqed because obviously some of the cast is no longer with us so I'm interested to see who's new on this. Also there's two characters in particular I'm interested to see who gets cast in Batgirl and Harley Quinn. Long story short while Tara Strong is pretty much the go to voice for both nowadays, she didn't start off as them. Little House On The Prairie star Melissa Gilbert was Batgirl originally and Arleen Sorkin was not only the original voice of Harley but also served as inspiration for the character to begin with

I don't know for sure if this thread applies to films but I just watched Klaus last night and it was a ride; there's so much to like about it; such as how it gives a literal backstory to christmas that is kept grounded for the most part and the fact that there is no shortage of character development for it's two leads, as well as some of the supporting characters, not to mention how it takes traditional animation and pushes it into the next level with various modern techniques.

If not for the way it handled the liar revealed trope the others treating Jesper with scorn after they find out that he restored their village just so he can get back to his old pampered life, even though he literally turned their cespit town into a thriving winter wonderland then I would have given it a 10 out of 10, as it stands though I still think it's an excellent film and an easy 9 out of 10, it's currently on Netflix and well worth watching for anyone who hasn't done so already.

An exceptional christmas film.

Any Babylon 5 fans in the house?

Continuation in animation, with the surviving cast members voicing their characters...

Out August 15th Digital BD and UHD
Very much a B5 fan. It was my favourite show for decades, and the only reason I can't confirm whether that's still the case is because my anime backlog hasn't given me time to rewatch it recently! Regardless, it still features my favourite fictional character of all time: G'Kar. What an amazing arc he had.

It's shocking just how few of the original cast are still with us. It's long been a unsettling part of SF lore that the production was as cursed as the station itself.

Hopefully this will finally lead to a blu-ray release for the original series. The HD remaster has been streaming for a while, but it really needs a disc release.

I know this show has been airing for about half a cour now but just thought it was worth mentioning that you can check out the first ep of My Adventures With Superman for free on Adult Swim's Youtube Channel - I really enjoyed the episode and am planning to watch the rest of the series eventually :)

I like how they've made Clark a bit of a Disney's Hercules-style himbo here as well, it's very cute and endearing!

So Fionna And Cake the latest Adventure Time series is finally airing in the US on Max with 2 episodes being released a week. To say I was excited for this is an understatement considering the original series was not only an all-time favourite of mine but helped get me back into animation in a big way. That said there's no news of a UK release and given this show is aimed at adults (without smoking it definitely earned the TV-14 rating) I wonder if it will get one at all cause I don't trust Sky (who will most likely get it cause they have the original series streaming in the UK) with animation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230912_051047_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230912_051047_Samsung Internet.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 2
Very much a B5 fan. It was my favourite show for decades, and the only reason I can't confirm whether that's still the case is because my anime backlog hasn't given me time to rewatch it recently! Regardless, it still features my favourite fictional character of all time: G'Kar. What an amazing arc he had.

It's shocking just how few of the original cast are still with us. It's long been a unsettling part of SF lore that the production was as cursed as the station itself.

Hopefully this will finally lead to a blu-ray release for the original series. The HD remaster has been streaming for a while, but it really needs a disc release.
Can’t believe I forgot about this. Not long after The Road Home was announced, the Blu-ray of the series was announced. It’s just The Gathering pilot movie and the series. The rest of the movies, the later specials, and Crusade aren’t part of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Complete-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B0CCW61CBZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IJJSXFW3HH9B&keywords=babylon+5+blu+ray+box&qid=1694503091&sprefix=Babylo%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-1

Back