Greetings from New York

kuriiro

Completely Average High School Student
Hello everyone,

I'm Chris from New York. I heard the forums mentioned on the Retro Anime Podcast which I also discovered recently. I took a look around here and it seemed like a friendly community with fans of a variety of ages.

I'm almost 40 and while I can't remember what the first anime I saw was, I'm certain it was a rental on VHS. It may have been Akira. I saw a bunch of stuff that way, though I did spend some of my meager funds at the time on some tapes of my own. I collected the entirety of Bubblegum Crisis (hence my avatar) and 6 or 7 Ranma 1/2 tapes. Unfortunately, I no longer have them!

That said, in my 20s and early 30s I only watched anime occasionally. I spend more time with American comics and video games. The latter was more the initial source of my interest in Japanese culture which then expanded to include other things and renewed my interest in anime and manga. So, while it's been sometime since I discovered anime, there's so much I haven't seen (including the rest of Ranma 1/2!).

I do have a soft spot for older anime because of the era in which I discovered it, but I seem to like all eras.

Thanks for reading!

Hello everyone,

I'm Chris from New York. I heard the forums mentioned on the Retro Anime Podcast which I also discovered recently. I took a look around here and it seemed like a friendly community with fans of a variety of ages.

I'm almost 40 and while I can't remember what the first anime I saw was, I'm certain it was a rental on VHS. It may have been Akira. I saw a bunch of stuff that way, though I did spend some of my meager funds at the time on some tapes of my own. I collected the entirety of Bubblegum Crisis (hence my avatar) and 6 or 7 Ranma 1/2 tapes. Unfortunately, I no longer have them!

That said, in my 20s and early 30s I only watched anime occasionally. I spend more time with American comics and video games. The latter was more the initial source of my interest in Japanese culture which then expanded to include other things and renewed my interest in anime and manga. So, while it's been sometime since I discovered anime, there's so much I haven't seen (including the rest of Ranma 1/2!).

I do have a soft spot for older anime because of the era in which I discovered it, but I seem to like all eras.

Thanks for reading!
Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy your stay.

welcome ^^ I loved akira when I saw it and it's a bit unfortunate you've lost them since, one that's pretty hard to find is bubblegum crisis, I did see 2040 somewhere before but I haven't seen any of the original

Welcome Chris from New York, I'm Troy From Pennsylvania, just down the road from you. Glad to see another Yank on this forum!

I'm the old guy, the grumpy old Curmudgeon on here, I'm closing in on 60, and didn't get hooked on anime until after I turned 50, My two daughters started me on it, so I'm a bit of a latecomer... :)

welcome ^^ I loved akira when I saw it and it's a bit unfortunate you've lost them since, one that's pretty hard to find is bubblegum crisis, I did see 2040 somewhere before but I haven't seen any of the original

Yeah, it’s too bad... there’s a lot of stuff from my youth I wish I’d hung on to. Ah well... I still haven’t seen the 2040 remake, though the character designs definitely don’t appeal to me as much.

Welcome Chris from New York, I'm Troy From Pennsylvania, just down the road from you. Glad to see another Yank on this forum!

I'm the old guy, the grumpy old Curmudgeon on here, I'm closing in on 60, and didn't get hooked on anime until after I turned 50, My two daughters started me on it, so I'm a bit of a latecomer... :)

Hi Troy! Yes, that’s pretty close! I know the larger PA cities pretty well, having spent time near Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

Hi Troy! Yes, that’s pretty close! I know the larger PA cities pretty well, having spent time near Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

I live about 25 miles from Harrisburg, in the Lancaster area - Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Amish farms, Horse and Buggies, Covered Bridges and all that... :)

Last edited:
I live about 25 miles from Harrisburg, in the Lancaster area - Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Amish farms, Horse and Buggies, Covered Bridges and all that... :)

Oh yes, I definitely know the Lancaster, PA area. We actually visited there when I was a kid but I also was through there a few times in my 20s. Nice area.

Too much development here now, both residential and commercial, it's chewing up all the farmland, slowly but steadily. So different from when I was a kid. What part of New York are you in?

Too much development here now, both residential and commercial, it's chewing up all the farmland, slowly but steadily. So different from when I was a kid. What part of New York are you in?

Ah, that’s too bad. I’m on the western side of the state, closer to Canada than NYC.

OK on the west side - well, I've been up to the Syracuse area years ago to see a Penn State / Syracuse college football game, along the lake shore between Buffalo and Erie, in the Finger Lakes region a few times, and along the Southern Tier.

Back