Greetings from the other side of Europe! đź‘‹

TopHat

Brigade Leader
Hi y'all,

I'm TopHat - enthousiast in collecting Blu-Rays and other physical media since a couple years ago to avoid the issues with streaming services. Have been watching anime since a kid, but really got into some series since 2017-ish.

I've only recently discovered this forums due to All the Anime (Limited)'s sale, glad to see a forum for the UK market. Especially as anime Blu-Rays in the EU aren't that easy to find English sub'd releases out of the UK. So figured I might stick around.

Feel free to ask me anything, and hopefully I'll join in the activity here. :)

Welcome! I also like buying anime on blu-ray and DVD - especially for a lot of older shows no longer licensed for streaming in the UK, physical media is the only legal way to watch them.
The moment Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood got pulled off European Netflix without it being streamable on any other service like Crunchyroll definitely made me buy anime Blu-Rays of shows I really care about/enjoy. Nowadays they added it back, but the original 2003 series still has an annoying limitation with some content (only Japanese dub, only regional subs. No English/German etc. subs at all.).

Though, only France and Germany get proper anime home video releases nowadays sadly, with others left in the dust. Only real big films are put onto Blu-Ray nowadays here.

The moment Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood got pulled off European Netflix without it being streamable on any other service like Crunchyroll definitely made me buy anime Blu-Rays of shows I really care about/enjoy. Nowadays they added it back, but the original 2003 series still has an annoying limitation with some content (only Japanese dub, only regional subs. No English/German etc. subs at all.).

Though, only France and Germany get proper anime home video releases nowadays sadly, with others left in the dust. Only real big films are put onto Blu-Ray nowadays here.

Welcome! Do you speak German (based on my interpretation of the post I've quoted?) I am learning it :)

Welcome! Do you speak German (based on my interpretation of the post I've quoted?) I am learning it :)
While I can rescue myself in a situation by speaking German, my German is far from great. I'm Dutch so we used to learn it, but I wasn't the best at it. Though I do find myself often shopping in Germany.

But because I'm not comfortable enough with reading or understanding media in German, I avoid buying films, series and anime there unless they got at the very least English subtitles on it. German Blu-Ray pricing (and honestly availability) is much better than in the Netherlands. Not to mention though: not a big fan of their FSK/USK age labels being so big.

While I can rescue myself in a situation by speaking German, my German is far from great. I'm Dutch so we used to learn it, but I wasn't the best at it. Though I do find myself often shopping in Germany.

But because I'm not comfortable enough with reading or understanding media in German, I avoid buying films, series and anime there unless they got at the very least English subtitles on it. German Blu-Ray pricing (and honestly availability) is much better than in the Netherlands. Not to mention though: not a big fan of their FSK/USK age labels being so big.

Ah fair enough, thankyou for answering my question! I have noticed what you say about France and Germany getting most of the proper anime releases in Europe :)

Ah fair enough, thankyou for answering my question! I have noticed what you say about France and Germany getting most of the proper anime releases in Europe :)
No problem! I know Germany and France are bigger anime markets due to:
  • Their publishing houses (there was the digital purchaseable VOD platform France has, and there used to be KAZÉ which handled a lot of releases in Germany and France, including Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva in the Netherlands!) are enormous
  • They got bigger anime markets, definitely viewable in having dedicated anime sections in stores (Especially MediaMarkt in Germany got quite a big section full of anime home video!)
The only problem is that they only include dubbing and subbing for the region (German for Germany, French for France). So it would be useless to me haha.

To specifically answer the Netflix question though: FMA 2003 used to have all types of subs and also the English dub over here as far as I can remember. But they reduced it to just the Japanese audio and only Dutch and French subtitles (to accomodate both the Netherlands and Belgium (for both sides of the country)), rather than also including English etc.

Back