Hello!

Firthy

Completely Average High School Student
Hi everyone I'm Firthy from West Yorkshire.

An anime fan since the 90s starting with Samurai Pizza Cats and an unintentional viewing of the Streamline dub of Akira on late night TV.

I've watched a fair bit over the years but my collection for home viewing is much smaller and is mostly imports from US distributors past and present. Although I still own the Manga UK 2xVHS release of Akira.

My general love of sci-fi and fantasy influences the types of anime I'm generally into. What might be surprising is that I've seen little of the Gundam franchise (just the dub of Wing we got in the 90s).

Hi, I'm also a 90s anime refugee - I also remember watching Akira late night on BBC2 back in 1994!

I remember being regularly baffled by Samurai Pizza Cats.

Gundam Wing was no less baffling - I thought that perhaps I didn't pay enough attention and that was why I found the story hard to follow. Revisiting it later I realised that no, it was just very poorly written. Put me off Gundam altogether until lately when I gave Witch From Mercury a chance and was glad I did - it was so good.

I also couldn't understand what the fuss was all about. Maybe I need to revisit the franchise with a different entry point.
Wing was massive back in the 90s, but is often cited as one of the lesser entries in the Gundam franchise these days. It really hasn't aged well.

Some good jumping in points would be the original series or its compilation movies (there's much debate around these parts about which version is better), Turn-A, The Origin, or The Witch from Mercury.

Back