Hi there - please be gentle

IoW Roy

Completely Average High School Student
Hi all - I'm Roy from the Isle of Wight!!

I was first introduced to Manga and anime by a friend who loaned me his copy of Akira and then Dominion Tank Police Acts 1&2 on VHS. This was the early 1990's and VHS tapes were cutting edge back then. I then found a new monthly magazine called "Manga Monthly" (anyone else remember that august title??) and so I read Patlabour, The Bubble Gum Crisis and Appleseed long before I even knew they were also animes. Then came the monthly VHS magazine releases of Guyver - I never have got to the end of that series one way or another...…

So, I was hooked on Manga and anime - I love police based series (Dominion Tank Police, PatLabour, all the various Ghost in the Shell series, PsychoPass) and most military/dystopian storylines (Appleseed, Bubblegum Crisis, Armitage III, Ergo Proxy).

I'm looking for inspiration about what to try next - any suggestions? I'm not a huge fan of the monster/demon type stuff, but have enjoyed Judge and will\give most things a go once.

Looking forward to chatting!!

Not even Pokemon/Digimon?! *cries* 😭

😉

Hi there *waves*

Lots of folk here really know their stuff so I'm sure they can recommend and suggest some titles for you to try.

Welcome to the forum - nice to meet you 🙂

Oh there's a whole host of stuff that just left me cold - Digimon, Pokémon, Dragonball Z (I mean, what was that about???), Sailor Moon.... I could go on but I do know there are guys and girls out there as passionate about those genres as I am about anything from Masamune Shirow.

:)

Hi!!! *waves back*

Nice to meet you to

Oh there's a whole host of stuff that just left me cold - Digimon, Pokémon, Dragonball Z (I mean, what was that about???), Sailor Moon.... I could go on but I do know there are guys and girls out there as passionate about those genres as I am about anything from Masamune Shirow.

Hi!!! *waves back*

Nice to meet you to
Welcome to the forums, the only place on the internet which I can describe as a bar nuttier than snickers with nuts.
I reckon @Girls wIth Guns might have a simular taste but as for myself I find I'm more attracted to horror and battle shoenen much of the time

Hi, Roy. Welcome to AUKN. :)

Dominion, eh? Nice. ;)
Funnily enough, I only just recently acquired a second-hand copy of Acts III and IV on DVD to finally complete the set. Likewise I haven't seen all of Guyver either — only up to and including episode 4.

Props for being a fan of Ergo Proxy too; it's one of my favourites. :D

What's your take on the CG Appleseed films? I'm a big fan of Appleseed Ex Machina myself.

Hi there welcome to the forums!

I like similar genres to you, and dystopian anime are a particular intrigue from time to time. My favourites for that type of series are Texhnolyze and Casshern Sins so if you haven’t seen those then I recommend them.

If it helps there’s actually a thread dedicated to recommending anime of different genres if you’d like to peruse it.
Anime for Veterans and Beginners

Hope you enjoy your time here!

It seems like a bit of a Marmite show from the reactions I've seen so far, but you might get a kick out of the series Double Decker that's running at the moment. I wouldn't quite call it a spoof, but it's a very self-aware sci-fi comedy modelled on '70s/'80s buddy cop movies.

Welcome to the forums mate :)
Terror in Resonance is on Netflix and while it isn't post-apocalyptic or even sci-fi I expect the tone of it might suit you a bit more than DragonBall.

Hi, Roy. Welcome to AUKN. :)

Dominion, eh? Nice. ;)
Funnily enough, I only just recently acquired a second-hand copy of Acts III and IV on DVD to finally complete the set. Likewise I haven't seen all of Guyver either — only up to and including episode 4.

Props for being a fan of Ergo Proxy too; it's one of my favourites. :D

What's your take on the CG Appleseed films? I'm a big fan of Appleseed Ex Machina myself.

Acts 3&4 are a little bit darker in tone and storyline that 1&2 but I still love 'em! And have you seen the New Dominion Tank Police originally released back in 2003, a sequel set of six 30min episodes?? And there's also Tank Police Team TANK S.W.A.T. 01 which is the same basic cast of characters but the sisters Anna & Uni are police officers! Unfortunately I've only found that movie subbed in English which can be a challenge to watch the action gets going.

For Appleseed, while I enjoyed the CG films, to be completely honest I preferred the original OVA. The one incarnation I didn't like of Appleseed was the TV series that they then chopped into a feature length film. The series had too much padding (very pretty images of statues, etc, but what did they add to the storyline?) and the film lost too much background detail and info. Only my take, obviously....

And have you seen the New Dominion Tank Police originally released back in 2003, a sequel set of six 30min episodes??
I have indeed, dude! I'm a pretty big fan of it. :D
I saw the follow-up before I ever saw the original, actually; I've got Manga's old DVD release of it.

I'm even more intrigued by Dominion acts III and IV now. It's been some years since I last saw I and II, so I'll watch those again first.

As for Appleseed XIII, I thought it was surprisingly decent for the most part. I seem to remember finding some later plot point initially confusing when I watched it, but again it's been a while now.

Appleseed Ex Machina I find is very much enhanced with the English dub; it's an excellent piece of work, in my view — and I don't usually watch anime dubbed.

How are you with Mamoru Oshii's Patlabor films, Roy? I like the first one — I think that's a lot of fun — but I find the second one pretty heavy going. :confused:

EDIT: Also, just to second @HWR's Casshern Sins recommendation. I didn't find it to have exactly the most varied script, dialogue-wise, but the downbeat atmosphere it creates is really good, and its philosophical ponderings are interesting. :)

Last edited:
A very warm welcome! ❤️ Hope you enjoy your time here, and feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions or feedback ^^

Have you seen Inuyashiki yet? It's on Amazon Prime Video and captures the feel of those classic titles a lot more adeptly than a lot of recent work. If you strongly prefer dubs I don't think it's dubbed yet though, so that may be a non-starter.

I also feel as though you might enjoy some Gundam shows from what you describe - but you're going to be hit or miss on a lot of them so will need to pick carefully. The more you say about what you like/dislike, the closer we can target our suggestions!

R

OK - I might not have expressed myself as clearly as I would have liked.

I've got nothing against subbed movies - I recently watched Hataraku Saibou which is subbed and is a real challenge to read along when it goes into medical terminology or details of how the immune response system works. I can't remember a time when I've used the pause button so much on a 20min movie! Sometimes, I just find if the movies' dubbed, it's a touch more accessible first time round.

I have seen a few Patlabor animes but it was quite a while ago. I'll have to have a rewatch!!

recently watched Hataraku Saibou which is subbed and is a real challenge to read along when it goes into medical terminology or details of how the immune response system works. I can't remember a time when I've used the pause button so much on a 20min movie!
That one was the same for me - just pause it if you need to :)

Back