Howl's Moving Castle (no spoilers)

buddy

Completely Average High School Student
At Paul's request, here are my thought's on Miyazaki's latest, I expect a few people on here have seen it by now. There's a very brief summary below (in white just in case any viewers don't want to know ANYTHING about the plot before seeing the film- highlight to view)

Based on the book by Bristol-based Dianna Wynne Jones, the film follows the story of Sophie, an independent young lady working in her late father's shop as a hat maker. After she is transformed in to an old lady by a local witch, she sets out to find and seek help from Howl, the mysterious and legendary wizard living in an enchanted moving castle outside the town. Working there as a cleaning lady, she soon realises that there is a lot more to Howl (and his castle) than meets the eye and as war besets their nation, endeavors to save him from the ensuing dangers and overcome the curse on her.

A fairy tale through and through, HMC is very much in line with recent Ghibli productions and fans familiar with the studio's output will be able to spot aesthetic and narrative influences from just about every one of their previous films here. While the use of computer-assisted animation is more prominent than in any other Ghibli film so far, it has been used very tastefully and does nothing more than compliment the wonderful cell animation. Drama, humour and romance come together as Sophie adjusts to life in the castle with Howl and his friends, the fire spirit Calcifer in particular providing a lot of comic relief. Visually, the film is astonishing, Miyazaki pushing his style to new heights of detail and innovation (I heard that Howl's bedroom represents Miyazaki's mind, and its as wierd and beautiful as you'd expect). Basically, Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli have done it again, creating a timeless and hugely entertaining film for people of all ages- highly recommended

It sounds fantastic, cheers for the review buddy (I may even plug it on the main page). Miyazaki films seem contain this certain kind of wonderous magic; I often find myself lulled into a delerious state of awe during his work. In short, I can't wait.

Paul said:
It sounds fantastic, cheers for the review buddy (I may even plug it on the main page). Miyazaki films seem contain this certain kind of wonderous magic; I often find myself lulled into a delerious state of awe during his work. In short, I can't wait.

I always get the impression Studio Ghibli are what Disney would love to be but can only dream of. Thought I'd add that. :D

I have everything but the movie :cry: although you can tell from the artbook it's going to be good. I believe the review in issue 3 of Neo magazine doesn't rate it very well :?:

Miaka-chan said:
I have everything but the movie :cry: although you can tell from the artbook it's going to be good. I believe the review in issue 3 of Neo magazine doesn't rate it very well :?:

They gave it four stars out of five. They said it wasn't as good as past Ghibli productions, but was still a very good film. :)

Hovis! said:
Miaka-chan said:

They gave it four stars out of five. They said it wasn't as good as past Ghibli productions, but was still a very good film. :)
The way it read to me, is they weren't impressed, but I guess that's different peoples interpretations :?:

I thought the review in Neo 3 gave a general air of dissapointment towards the film . However it is of course the opinion of the reviewer , and it still got a 4/5 .

But when I see the film at the time of its UK release I may well of course love it just as much as I have all of the other Miyazaki work's , I was just a little suprised the magazine didnt give it a full score considering what ive seen as flawless quality in previous Ghibli films.

I had a chance to see this in France, but my knowledge of French is nil :cry:
Ill be picking up the JP dvd release (ghibli dvds normally have subs, even in Japan) and then wait for the UK release, to see what the dub is like (good, like the other ghibli titles dubs i hope)

Miaka-chan said:
Hovis! said:
Miaka-chan said:

The way it read to me, is they weren't impressed, but I guess that's different peoples interpretations :?:

I think you hit the nail on the head there. :) :D :)

To be fair though, just because its a Studio Ghibli production (and I have no doubt this is probably one hell of a good film) that doesn't mean they won't make a turkey in future.

Reputation can go a long way but not all the way. Or something. :oops: :lol: :) :D

Back