I Don't Hate You Anymore (Recommendations To A Newcomer) !

Captain N

Hikikomori
Hello there!

This isn't /really/ meant as an introduction thread, but my case isn't your average anime person! A bit of background:

Well, a year ago I'd never would have guessed I'd be posting this, on a forum like this, about... this. :D Back then I was very much of the "all anime is by-the-numbers, badly-animated crap" mindset. And the things I said about you fans...

...or should I say us fans? 8D

Since I actually, you know, sat down and watched some Death Note, I was hooked! Despite the second half. :p Since then I've worked my way through a handful of episodes each of Ranma, Code Geass, Wolf's Rain and such, and I love 'em. I'm even taking my sibs to the MCM Expo in October... considering even dressing up. Not bad for a beer-swilling rock musician eh!

So yes, I've seen the error of my ways, please forgive me. 8D And... yep! I've watched some Death Note, Code Geass, Wolf's Rain and am looking for more recommendations along these lines. I hear Cowboy Bebop is good?

Thankee. *Thumbs up*

Your username suggests otherwise.

You've watched some good, very popular series. If you wish to watch more good stuff, go on my MAL profile, look at my list, order by ratings and watch all of the 9-10/10 stuff.

Aion said:
Your username suggests otherwise.

What, the N? Racist! ;)

It comes from Captain N the Game Master.

You've watched some good, very popular series. If you wish to watch more good stuff, go on my MAL profile, look at my list, order by ratings and watch all of the 9-10/10 stuff.

Sure, thanks. n_n

Re: I Don't Hate You Anymore (Recommendations To A Newcomer)

Captain N said:
I hear Cowboy Bebop is good?

Speaking subjectively I'd say absolutely. It's quite episodic for much of the series, but as a whole it's brilliant (particularly the ending).

However, I do remember a recent forum topic on CB where a few would disagree to this. Just see for yourself is all I can say.

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. Back off, you see, this guy is black like me and in such a case, you don't want to be recommending him Cowboy Bebop. He needs Afro Samurai and alternatively... Michiko to Hatchin.

From my top ten:
1 Twelve Kingdoms / higurashi no naku koro ni (When they cry)
2 ROD (Ovas and TV)
3 Serial Experiments Lain
4 Ghost In The Shell franchise
5 Kino's Journey
6 Samurai X
7 Evangelion
8 Guslinger Girl
9 Cowboy Bebop
10 Slayers

Please watch 12 kingdoms - it looks like I'm the only one who likes that show :p

Series that I would recommend that have a similar flavour to what you have already watched would be:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Last Exile
Paranoia Agent
Fullmetal Alchemist

And if you want to try something a little different, these are also excellent series:
Fruits Basket
Escaflowne
Honey & Clover
Nodame Cantabile
NANA

chaos said:
Please watch 12 kingdoms - it looks like I'm the only one who likes that show :p
You most certainly are not. In terms of fantasy anime it's waaaay up there with Lodoss and... not much else. The third arc is EPIC.

To you, Captain, I recommend the following:

Cowboy Bebop
Berserk
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Samurai Champloo
Hellsing Ultimate

Back