Import review: Steamboy

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Taking advantage of the volatile status of its UK release (either delayed or according to Play.com, due in January '06), I've reviewed the (US) R1 version of Steamboy, Katsuhiro Otomo's long awaited theatrical steam-punk follow up to his landmark 1988 movie Akira.<ul class="menu2">"It was pleasure to watch Steamboy because on a purely visceral level, it is one of the most pleasing films to have been produced in recent times; regardless of whether or not the story lacks compelling characters, it is a stunning work of art that will grasp your heart first and your brain later."</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=203">Read the full review</a>.

I remember watching the first half-hour of this on a plane, it was cracking stuff, unfortunately I was too tired and decided to sleep, and eventually watch it on dvd, and enjoy the experience more, rather than on a crappy min-screen a 10,000m above the earth with crappy headphone sound.

I'll eventually get it on dvd sometime.

i've given in to my impatience and ordered the R1 version as well. it seems to be pretty much the same as the R2 apart from being cheaper and due to arrive in a week or two instead of who knows when. i'm really looking forward to this one.

I ordered the Region 4 special edition (or maybe just 2 disc set) from cd-wow.
It's a great piece of animation, though I'm not a fan of the english dub.

Back