Interview with Tiffany Grant

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Thanks to the hardworking staff of the <A href="http://www.tomo-dachi.com">Tomo-Dachi convention (July 7th and July 9th 2006)</A>, we were able to conduct an interview with long time American anime voice actor <A href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=902">Tiffany Grant</A>. Many anime fans will have heard her voice before; from her famous role as the bilingual Asuka Langley from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Altena in the sober girls-with-guns actioner Noir, it would be fair to say that she is a well respected English dub actor (and director!) and when you also stop to consider that Mrs. Grant is married to none other than ADV co-founder Matt Greenfield, it is obvious that she lives and breathes Japanese animation.

We have quizzed Mrs. Grant on a range of subjects, not only speaking to her about her experiences as a voice actor but also asking for her opinions on a range of more general issues that often cause debate within the anime community. [Interview with Tiffany Grant]

Thanks; we tried to ask a few interesting questions for every part of the anime community and we hope everyone found parts of this interview interesting. For me personally, it's interesting to know where the VAs stand when it comes to things like subs v dubs.

Any other comments on this interview are more than welcome :) Any fans of Mrs. Grant out there?

I wouldn't class myself as a fan exactly (to be truthful I find Asuka's voice a tad annoying), but I am well aware of her as a highly respected VA.

The sub vs dub question was very interesting, but I would have thought she would have said something about the original Japanese VAs and if she uses their performance to create the character etc etc, but maybe I'm just being picky :?

Also the info about the difficulty of getting into voice acting was very good - most interviews I've seen with VAs say "I was really lucky" or "it's almost impossible". It's nice to see that question handled a little more postively for a change!

Nice interview, I liked the question on how has dubbing/being a dub actor changed sine it started. I'm a fan of Tiffany Grant. I liked her roles in EVA, Matsuya and Pedro's son in Excel Saga, and Ryoko in Nadesico.

Her voice is one of the more, how should I say it, distinctive sounding - although although that's probably because she's often cast in the more neurotic and hyperactive roles! She was great as Althena in Noir though - it showed a different aspect to her VA ability which doesn't normally come out in the characters she normally plays.

I was more interested in what she had to say about the industry in general, which was really insightful. It's nice to see such an important an well respected name find the time to do something like this.

Back