It's a (plastic) Gundam!!!

Patient-X

Railgun
Last edited:
Out of interest, how difficult are these to build? I'm a casual fan of Gundam, and the designs look so cool, I wouldn't mind giving one of these a go. I'm just not sure how much patience I have :p

Do you need any tools or anything, like paint or glue and what not?

Out of interest, how difficult are these to build? I'm a casual fan of Gundam, and the designs look so cool, I wouldn't mind giving one of these a go. I'm just not sure how much patience I have :p

They're snap fit and very easy to assemble. For tools all that is really required is a side cutter(or hobby knife), a reasonably good file and tweezers are also useful.

After that you can do whatever you want wrt painting or customising, I usually paint and panel line it but you could get rid of the joins for the parts by using a little modelling cement and some high grit sand paper. I would at the very least recommend panel lining the kit, it takes about 5 minutes and makes the detail more visible. I use a Staedtler 0.05mm pigment liner for doing this myself.

They're snap fit and very easy to assemble. For tools all that is really required is a side cutter(or hobby knife), a reasonably good file and tweezers are also useful.

After that you can do whatever you want wrt painting or customising, I usually paint and panel line it but you could get rid of the joins for the parts by using a little modelling cement and some high grit sand paper. I would at the very least recommend panel lining the kit, it takes about 5 minutes and makes the detail more visible. I use a Staedtler 0.05mm pigment liner for doing this myself.

Thanks for the tips! I don't own any of those things unfortunately! :p I imagine they're easy to come by though. My Dad makes models, albeit not Gunpla, maybe he could help me out.

Ok here we go.

IMG_20190603_192015_resized_20190603_072051878.jpg

^ Above is an MG Zaku II mine layer in combat with an MG RX-78-02 Origin and a HG "Tristan" I have built

IMG_20190603_192020_resized_20190603_072051684.jpg

^ This is my current WIP with the Thunderbolt Ver Ka.

I also own a PG Unicorn which is my most expensive model however it's on the back line until after the Thunderbolt is done. Some will notice that I don't paint them right now but I was thinking of trying out painting the MG Origin.

Last edited:

This is what I bought when I started out.

But in reality all you really need is a good set of spue clippers and a hobby knife. You can get better than what is here obviously but to start with it's an inexpensive way to get into the hobby.

Last edited:
@IncendiaryLemon The RX-78-2 Gundam is the perfect beginners gunpla.
It was the first one I built and it's just the perfect intro into gunpla. Not too complicated but also not so easy that it's boring. There's a real sense of satisfaction in making it (well for me anyway haha)
As mentioned, the most you need is the clippers and some sort of file. I don't actually file down much, I clip really close to the part. The rest is all voluntary. Markers, pen liners etc. Not needed honestly if you just want to give it a go before you fall down the rabbit hole with the rest of us baha

@IncendiaryLemon The RX-78-2 Gundam is the perfect beginners gunpla.
View attachment 8815
It was the first one I built and it's just the perfect intro into gunpla. Not too complicated but also not so easy that it's boring. There's a real sense of satisfaction in making it (well for me anyway haha)
As mentioned, the most you need is the clippers and some sort of file. I don't actually file down much, I clip really close to the part. The rest is all voluntary. Markers, pen liners etc. Not needed honestly if you just want to give it a go before you fall down the rabbit hole with the rest of us baha

Thank you for the suggestion, @Vincentdante too!! That's pretty decently priced too, going off Amazon. Where's the best place to buy these, out of interest? That particular one is £25 on Amazon, not sure what the going rates are.

Thank you for the suggestion, @Vincentdante too!! That's pretty decently priced too, going off Amazon. Where's the best place to buy these, out of interest? That particular one is £25 on Amazon, not sure what the going rates are.

If you are fine with importing most people get from this website.

But unfortunately postage might get you, if you want a single kit Amazon or resellers like Gundammad might be better?

(this was going to be a link to japan cool but I just discovered they have gone under and now I am sad).

I think you're looking at the wrong one. It's this one: Bandai Hobby HIGH GRADE UNIVERSAL CENTURY R: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

I haven't actually bought any of my gunpla online (I've either gotten them when I was in Japan or from MCM)
The stall I got them from though are http://gundammad.co.uk but idk I find their online shop lacking. Most of the items are blimmin out of stock. I was gonna ask @Patient-X where he's been ordering his from actually so I guess now's a good time as any haha!

Plenty of availability in Dublin. Dublin City Comics started getting them in a few years ago and couldn't keep them on the shelves. Now two other comic shops, Sub City and Forbidden Planet International also sell them.

While browsing I noticed they are making an RG Nu Gundam which is up for pre-order! Those absolute madmen (I want one).

Last edited:
I think you're looking at the wrong one. It's this one: Bandai Hobby HIGH GRADE UNIVERSAL CENTURY R: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

I haven't actually bought any of my gunpla online (I've either gotten them when I was in Japan or from MCM)
The stall I got them from though are http://gundammad.co.uk but idk I find their online shop lacking. Most of the items are blimmin out of stock. I was gonna ask @Patient-X where he's been ordering his from actually so I guess now's a good time as any haha!

Ah, even better, £13 is nothing really. Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at this one Bandai #01 RX-78-2 Gundam 1/144, Real Grade: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

While browsing I noticed they are making an RG Nu Gundam which is up for pre-order! Those absolute madmen (I want one).

Are RG's just as fun to build? They don't seem as appealing at first glance.

Depends on the kit. Most of the ones I've made are great, some are brutal though like the GP01 and Zeta Gundam. The GP01 doesn't hold together properly due to having the core fighter and the Zeta has very weak shoulders due to still being able to transform.

Last edited:

Honestly I haven't actually built an RG yet, but I am interested in trying one. They are compared to MG's in detail though which is why I am interested in that particular kit being a fan of the Nu Gundam.

Back