Jubei-chan Secret of the Lovely Eye-patch!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
If you want something ultra funny to watch, then look no further than Jubei-chan, Ninja Girl, Secret of the Lovely Eye-patch :D

Jiyu Nanohana is an ordinary 8th grader in high school who has just moved to a small town with her father. On her way home from her first day at school, she gets hopelessly lost in a strange bamboo forest! There she approached by a strange looking guy who informs her she is the reincarnation of Jubei Yagyu, a legendary samurai swordsman who died 300 years earlier. To become Jubei Yagyu all she has to do is don the lovely eye-patch which is infused with his powers!

This is most definitely the funniest anime I have ever seen, I was laughing out loud, or grinning so much, my face hurt!! There are quite a few similarities to School Rumble and I'm still wondering if most of the ideas for that came from Jubei-chan!!
The animation is not perfect, but I don't think it was ever intended to be. There are some very funny scenes where the characters are drawn like a 5 year old would draw and they haven't been coloured in and one crudely drawn character appears briefly at the end of the show in a strange place, adding to the comical eliment.
The characters are all fantastic. Jiyu (her father's nickname for her is Jubei) is one of the most reluctant heros I have ever seen. She can never remember anyones names and is very ditzy - but in a good way!
Her Dad is hilarious but he also has a serious side.
The strangest characters are The Ruffians, a group of 3 boys who think they are tough but they're just funny! Ban is the leader and his 2 sidekicks look like monkeys, just watch out for the ukelele episode, it'll have you rolling on the floor!!
Koinosuke is the strange servant of Jubei Yagyu who has searched for the new Jubei for 300 years. He is very funny and lives in a kennel!!
Shiro is Jiyu's sempai, she calls him that because she can't remember his name! He's an expert at kendo and a descedant of the other clan, who have the grudge against Yagyu Jubei.
The is a whole host of other very strange but likeable characters.
The music is very nice. The opening theme only lasts for 21 seconds but it's heard throughout the anime when Jiyu/Jubei dons the lovely eye-patch. The closing song is nice, as is the BGM but it's nothing spectacular.
The story is a little strange but fun all the same, it's basically based around a 300 year old grudge between 2 clans and while the first 11 episodes are filled with gut busting humour, the last 2 episodes have a more serious tone. The whole thing is wrapped up very nicely into 13 episodes of hilarity but with a deeper underlying factor of trust and friendship.
I have admitted before that I have a very strange sense of humour and this could be why I found this series so damned funny but it seriously is the funniest thing I have ever seen!!

Theres a second series of this too I believe , coming out soon in the US via Geneon. I like the charecter designs for this show quite a lot, and if its as funny as you say, may be well worth looking into eventually. :D

Yes i agree with Mangaminx, worth having a look at. Also am i right in thinking you can get the whole series for £20 from United Publication

Yes, there is a second series, which I may look into eventually. I'd like to hope it is as good as the first series!
UP1 does have the boxset for £20.80 (I bought mine as individual DVDs before the boxset! but I only paid £14 for all 4, so I don't mind :D ).

well if anyone has the hack/sign R2 uk DVDa there a prview of this serie on them if you go into the frnace menu i think .... its on vol 3 or 4 i think.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the funniest thing I've ever seen, but it is very good. Funny, sweet, weird, containing magical ninja girls, and just overall weird. And, of course, rather cheap.

Hmm, it's been a long time since I saw this actually. And I should be revising, but ...

Oh, and what I saw of the second series (only a few episodes) looked very promising.

Colin said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the funniest thing I've ever seen, but it is very good. Funny, sweet, weird, containing magical ninja girls, and just overall weird.
I can't think of any comedy anime that I have found funnier! I was laughing throughout the whole 13 episodes, each episode had very funny scenes etc, although the insert song in episode 12 was the funniest part of the whole thing and it was being sung so seriously! It wasn't like the inane humor of Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga, it was funny, funny! which seems very rare in anime these days.

Back