UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

You can watch them on Funimation NOW if that's any help - so I presume Funimation hold the UK rights, meaning any likely UK physical release is probably down to AL - although I think Andrew said in the past it'd make more sense to do a complete package of all the parts together.

Although I guess they just picked up where Manga left off with Fairy Tail, so who knows?

Hmmm... worrying, I haven't been paying enough attention to this I see. I have the two Manga Hellsing Ultimate BR sets released already, I'd hope for a final one with just the last two in to finish, even if its alongside a complete set and released by someone else...

I grabbed the US Collection 5 for those episodes of fairy tail. I'm still bitter by no more blu-ray fairy tail releases, but meh I'm sure that has been discussed to high heavens already.

Am starting to wonder if any of Manga's titles outside of Yu-Gi-Oh / Digimon etc will be on time these days - Chuunibyo season two was already delayed massively, and now Death Note too. I wouldn't be surprised if this affects something like SNAFU as well.

Am starting to wonder if any of Manga's titles outside of Yu-Gi-Oh / Digimon etc will be on time these days - Chuunibyo season two was already delayed massively, and now Death Note too. I wouldn't be surprised if this affects something like SNAFU as well.
All of the UK distributors delay titles constantly - it's not unique to Manga, and they're not the worst offender.

It's not so much delays themselves that I have a problem with - it's the implication that delays for *those* titles already scheduled means delays for further titles down the line. eg. Chuunibyo coming out in say Dec instead of Oct means that a show that would have originally come out in Dec now probably doesn't come out until Feb/March.

Maybe that's looking too deeply into the situation, but I just have this lingering feeling at the moment that the UK anime industry is encountering some kind of massive choke-point where it can't physically release the material it has rights to as quickly as it would like to. I would love to know if this is purely down to production issues or if it's perhaps down to so-so sales meaning things like BBFC fees and avoiding saturating the market means things have to be spaced out more.

Digimon Tri delayed until March cuz US want to release it first.

Sucks but what can we do always gotta play second fiddle to them in most things it seems.

Digimon Tri delayed until March cuz US want to release it first.

Sucks but what can we do always gotta play second fiddle to them in most things it seems.

If we see proof this is actually the reason. I think we as UK anime fans need to get massively passive aggressive with Toei and the US home video distributor. Eevery tweet they send about it, we should reply with "Thanks for delaying the UK release so America can have it first..."

It may or may not dissuade it from happening in future, but it will make our feelings known that Toei shouldn't have taken such a deal and that the US distributor shouldn't have asked for it. It would probably need a lot of people to do it a lot of times to get through to them though.

If we see proof this is actually the reason. I think we as UK anime fans need to get massively passive aggressive with Toei and the US home video distributor. Eevery tweet they send about it, we should reply with "Thanks for delaying the UK release so America can have it first..."

It may or may not dissuade it from happening in future, but it will make our feelings known that Toei shouldn't have taken such a deal and that the US distributor shouldn't have asked for it. It would probably need a lot of people to do it a lot of times to get through to them though.
It's definitely that it isn't an isolated incident.

Last year Manga revealed DBZ Resurrection "F" will be released in October.

FUNi then announce the same thing.

MangaUK then announce it's been delayed until January. Exactly the same time frame here.

Definitely not coincidental.
Manga have also all but confirmed on twitter that this is the reason they said US are contracted to have it first.

It's definitely that it isn't an isolated incident.

Last year Manga revealed DBZ Resurrection "F" will be released in October.

FUNi then announce the same thing.

MangaUK then announce it's been delayed until January. Exactly the same time frame here.

Definitely not coincidental.
Manga have also all but confirmed on twitter that this is the reason they said US are contracted to have it first.

I hadn't seen that Tweet.

I can't quite believe the US distributor gets a three month gap, whilst Anime Limited gets literally nothing when they dub a title though. Maybe we really should start passive aggressively tweeting Toei US, Europe and whoever has US home video...

I hadn't seen that Tweet.

I can't quite believe the US distributor gets a three month gap, whilst Anime Limited gets literally nothing when they dub a title though. Maybe we really should start passive aggressively tweeting Toei US, Europe and whoever has US home video...
With region coding being a thing it doesn't make much sense but were here now. Just gotta put up with it.

To be honest, with the U.S. distributor being the ones doing the leg work producing a dub, why shouldn't they get it first? According to a comment made by Andrew Partridge in the recent Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter update, whoever produces the dub typically owns the rights until they recoup costs - at which point it reverts to the Japanese license holder.

It's also worth noting that we don't actually know when the North American release will be yet. I doubt it will be as far away as March (@Buzz201 estimates it at December/January judging by US theatrical), but I think this is one where we need to sit tight until we hear from the U.S. until we declare war :p

To be honest, with the U.S. distributor being the ones doing the leg work producing a dub, why shouldn't they get it first? According to a comment made by Andrew Partridge in the recent Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter update, whoever produces the dub typically owns the rights until they recoup costs - at which point it reverts to the Japanese license holder.

It's also worth noting that we don't actually know when the North American release will be yet. I doubt it will be as far away as March (@Buzz201 estimates it at December/January judging by US theatrical), but I think this is one where we need to sit tight until we hear from the U.S. until we declare war :p

But the difference is that the US have had two options as stop-gaps until the physical release - Crunchyroll and a limited theatrical release. Meanwhile, in the UK, we've yet to have any official access to the first, of three so far, movie.

Back