UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

AbZeroNow

Completely Average High School Student
In which we would discuss matters relating to Manga Ent, which may include wonky chapter markers and subtitles that are changed to make One Piece sound more British.

Re: Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

AbZeroNow said:
In which we would discuss matters relating to Manga Ent, which may include wonky chapter markers and subtitles that are changed to make One Piece sound more British.

What do you mean?

Re: Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

thedoctor2016 said:
AbZeroNow said:

What do you mean?

I was trying for a witty intro post. I could edit out the comments about two known issues with Manga's releases.

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

Damn these companies obtaining worldwide rights for properties and screwing over little UK companies.......oh wait, Animatsu have the worldwide license....that's ok then?

EIther way, interested to see this :)

Hahahaha.

Hanners called it the other day so I guess I'm less surprised than I might have been. Well, it's always good news for fans to get worldwide releases even if there are questionable statements being made behind the scenes. I'll buy it from one of their overseas partners just to be a jerk.

(Shall I just merge the Manganimatsu threads? They're so confusing.)

R

It sounds an interesting film Not seen too many WW2 set in Japananime, it's not a period they are particularly proud of so it will be interesting to see where it goes with the subject matter. It will be interesting to see how this gets released over here.

britguy said:
Damn these companies obtaining worldwide rights for properties and screwing over little UK companies.......oh wait, Animatsu have the worldwide license....that's ok then?

EIther way, interested to see this :)

Well, Jerome seems to be complaining about the amounts of money thrown around by the bigger companies (which to be fair, seems to be a valid complaint, given the general consensus is that we're in another "anime bubble"). Without being rude, I doubt Manga Animatsu has enough money to outbid another company should they have become interested, so I'd speculate maybe Animatsu were the only interested party at this stage, given how little information there was about the film.

Hanners also suggest that Animatsu might be on the production committee for this film, which is a little different to just outbidding everyone in sight for the rights.

Little bit silly of ANN to restrict the news to the UK version of their site, given it's a worldwide story involving a British company. Wonder if Jerome will be upset by it?

Buzz201 said:
Hanners also suggest that Animatsu might be on the production committee for this film, which is a little different to just outbidding everyone in sight for the rights.

You mean like Universal, Aniplex and PonyCanyon are for most titles they acquire, and Crunchyroll are for a few series nowadays as well?

kuuderes_shadow said:
Buzz201 said:

You mean like Universal, Aniplex and PonyCanyon are for most titles they acquire, and Crunchyroll are for a few series nowadays as well?

Yeah, but I'd note Jerome never complained about any Crunchyroll, PonyCan, Aniplex or Universal show (for that reason*.) His complaint was more about Funimation or Sentai or whoever just flat out bidding insane amounts of money for worldwide rights, effectively barring him from the process. I would also point out that Aniplex of America and NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan seem to be separate divisions of their respective companies, so it's like Universal UK or Aniplex of America are on the production committee, but their corporate siblings are. Aniplex of America has to bid for Aniplex titles, and they can't offer much below market rate.

PonyCanyon seems to just be a brand, I'm not even 100% confident PonyCanUSA is run from outside Japan...

*He complained about the way Crunchyroll sold their exclusives, and he also complained about Universal and Funimation entering the market.

Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Ent/Animatsu Discussion Thr

I have no idea what this film is and manga having WW rights means I'm passing on it.

Buzz201 said:
With Jerome's talk about producing anime and with their logo being next to Genco and Mappa's on the promo image Andrew posted, I did wonder.

Shiroi Hane said:
With Jerome's talk about producing anime and with their logo being next to Genco and Mappa's on the promo image Andrew posted, I did wonder.

According to Animatsu's official press release, it's only a licence, but it reads to me like just an international sales deal:
Produced by GENCO, with Japanese animation studio MAPPA, In This Corner of the World has been licensed to Animatsu Entertainment for the film’s worldwide sales. GENCO, in turn, will release In This Corner of the World in Japan this October.

I'm sure they did it just to give you something to moan about.

I'd guess Dec is probably a placeholder until they have a firmer date in mind.

Back