UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I swear, rereleases of Akira and Ghost in the Shell is all that's keeping Manga afloat. That's the 5th release of Akira by my count, and I could be missing some.

Yami said:
It's not 30 until 2018!

d2zS1RW.gif

AKIRA ON BLU RAY WITH THE 'JIMMY FLINDERS' DUB?!

YES! YESSSS! OH MY GOD YESSSSS!!!

I have nothing but positive things to say about this. Do want. Will sell kidneys for it.*

*Usual disclaimer applies. They won't be MY kidneys, necessarily.

PilibO said:
Probably scheduled to be announced at Manchester MCM, Amazon UK have listed Pokemon Blu ray's to be released by MangaUK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokemon-Movie- ... 57&sr=1-13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokemon-Movie- ... 657&sr=1-8

I'm interested in the original three movies, but the later ones haven't been that great so I likely won't be supporting the Hoopa release. I'll echo others in that I'm more interested in the original series than I am the movies so hopefully Manga grab that if the movies do well.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I swear, rereleases of Akira and Ghost in the Shell is all that's keeping Manga afloat. That's the 5th release of Akira by my count, and I could be missing some.

If only there was something to justify them. Funimation's master is an improvement as it gets rid of the window boxing (that still plagues Ghost in the Shell and Wings of Honneamise) but it's source is still a restoration that was performed in, as far as I know, 2001. Seeing as it hasn't been reissued in Japan, I don't suppose we're going to get a new restoration here but it deserves a new 4K scan. As does Ghost in the Shell.

I don't suppose we're going to get a new interview with Katsuhiro Otomo either, or any critical input or booklet.

Surprised they're not re-releasing Akira in it's steel book case. It's one of my favourite steel books, I guess the extras won't fit though.

You know reading this just reminded me of the shameful fact that I do not own a copy of Akira, I should really fix that tbh.

Not really interested in Pokemon, but I'm sure that will sell great numbers for them.

Buzzkillington said:
You know reading this just reminded me of the shameful fact that I do not own a copy of Akira, I should really fix that tbh.

You really should. I sat down with a mate and his girlfriend a year or two back to watch it on DVD again. For me and my pal (who I've known since school days) it was a way to sit back and reminisce. What neither of us saw coming was my mate's missus LOSING HER **** over the movie and wanting to watch it again almost immediately.

It may not be as dense as the manga, but that film still has power.

HdE said:
Buzzkillington said:

You really should. I sat down with a mate and his girlfriend a year or two back to watch it on DVD again. For me and my pal (who I've known since school days) it was a way to sit back and reminisce. What neither of us saw coming was my mate's missus LOSING HER **** over the movie and wanting to watch it again almost immediately.

It may not be as dense as the manga, but that film still has power.
For sure, now that it's been brought into my thoughts I'm actually very excited by the prospect of watching it again as I don't think I've seen it since I was at school. :/ the BD is also dirt cheap so no excuses except for I kinda want the steelbook that seems to be long OOP, but I suppose I could always spend the fiver on it now then upgrade to this new release that's coming later.

Had a suspicion the first three Pokemon movies would be coming, given recent releases in the US and France - imagine that'll probably be a big seller. Transformers is also a definite pick-up for me - nice to see them branching out for that.

What are the major differences between this new Akira release and the last Blu-Ray version Manga put out? I'm tempted to double dip but can remember the transfer being reasonable enough on the last one so will have to be something major for me to pick up again.

Lutga said:
What are the major differences between this new Akira release and the last Blu-Ray version Manga put out? I'm tempted to double dip but can remember the transfer being reasonable enough on the last one so will have to be something major for me to pick up again.

For me, the transfer isn't nearly as big a deal as having the Streamline Pictures dub on a legit HD version of the movie. That more recent Pioneer dub, as technically good as it is, is just unlistenable to my ears. Streamline's treatment gave the movie a lot of soul.

By way of example, the final scenes of the movie used to bring a lump to my throat, they're that well acted. In the Pioneer edition... I can't watch it without thinking how flat it is.

HdE said:
Lutga said:

For me, the transfer isn't nearly as big a deal as having the Streamline Pictures dub on a legit HD version of the movie. That more recent Pioneer dub, as technically good as it is, is just unlistenable to my ears. Streamline's treatment gave the movie a lot of soul.

By way of example, the final scenes of the movie used to bring a lump to my throat, they're that well acted. In the Pioneer edition... I can't watch it without thinking how flat it is.

Ahh, I forget, did the previous Blu-Ray only include the Pioneer dub (the one with Johnny Young-Bosch in it?) - I remember it felt like the 'newness' of the dub didn't match up to well to the age of the film

The Streamline one is a classic - I only need to hear the classic 'Testuoooooo!!!!' line and it takes me right back.

Apparently the Manga UK Blu-ray version included dubtitles in a similar fashion to how Attack on Titan was handled (subtitles that match the dub with a couple that don't).
Audio
Four audio tracks are provided. The original Japanese track is included as LPCM 2.0 (48kHz/16-bit), which if you are a purist, is still a strong enough mix. The Japanese Dolby Digital True HD 5.1 mix (192kHz) with super dynamic “Hypersonic” audio however is extremely powerful, if a little bright, with excellent dispersal of sound – faithful enough to the original (although additional sounds have been added), but giving more of a sound stage to the chants and rhythms of the magnificent Shoji Yamashiro score performed by Geinoh Yamashirogumi. The English Dolby Digital True HD 5.1 mix (48kHz) is also effective, if you prefer your English dub. Normally, I’m happy to endorse a good English dub, but in this case you are losing out considerably, since Otomo (if I remember from the old Akira Production Report on my VHS edition) went to the trouble of recording the dialogue first and animating mouth movements to lip-sync with the Japanese cast. This is actually a very important element in the overall quality of the film, and the Japanese voice-acting performances are exceptionally good, so that really should be the one to go for. For those without a HD amplifier, a Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 track is also included.

Subtitles
Subtitles are white and are optional. They are basically dubtitles, which means they match the English language track almost word for word, but not always. One example is when Kaneda is getting a dressing down at the police station, where the subtitles read “She cleared the hump, and you left her for cruising, huh?” and the dialogue in English has been changed to “She cleared the hump, huh? What next, a triathlon?”. Unlike most purists, I don’t mind dubtitles, as they are often better and more colloquial than a stiff literal translation that doesn’t take into account context and characterisation. The subtitles here read very well indeed.

Extras
The only extra features on the disc are two 32-second Teasers, a 16-second TV Commercial, Trailer 1 (2:07), Trailer 2 (1:01) and Storyboards. The teasers and trailers are worth a look, getting across the dynamic of the film well, but the highlight of course is Otomo’s original storyboards for the full film. All the extra features are in High Definition.

Given this new 28th Anniversary version is including the Streamline dub, I'll assume it's using Funimation's master so the subs will be better.

Funi's on-disc extras include:
  • Interview with the Japanese Director
  • Akira Sound Clip
  • Storyboard Collection
  • The Writing on the Wall
  • Original Japanese Trailers
  • Original Japanese Commercials
  • Restoring Akira
  • Glossary
  • U.S. Trailer (2013)
  • Trailers

Here's a quick round-up of Manga Animatsu Kaze's schedule

3rd October 2016
Digimon Digital Monsters: Season 1 [DVD]
One Piece: Collection 13 [DVD]

10th October 2016
Trinity Seven: Complete Collection [Blu-ray & DVD]
- Special Edition Combo Pack: 2 x Blu-ray 2 x DVD - Limited edition O-Card Cover

17th October 2016
Naruto Shippuden: Box 26 Episodes 323-355 [DVD]
Wish Upon The Pleiades: Complete Collection [Blu-ray & DVD]
- Special Edition Combo Pack: 2 x Blu-ray 3 x DVD - Limited edition O-Card Cover

24th October 2016
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!: Complete Collection [Blu-ray & DVD]
- Special Edition Combo Pack: 2 x Blu-ray 3 x DVD - Limited edition O-Card Cover
Pokemon The Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages [Blu-ray] [DVD]

31st October 2016
Death Note: Complete Collection & Relight Movies [Blu-ray]
When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace: Complete Collection [Blu-ray] [DVD]

7th November 2016
Nisekoi: False Love 2: Collection 1 [Blu-ray] [DVD]

14th November 2016
Digimon Digital Monsters: Season 2 [DVD]
Naruto: Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals: Collection 2 [DVD]
The Perfect Insider: Complete Collection [Blu-ray & DVD]
- Special Edition Combo Pack: 2 x Blu-ray 2 x DVD - Limited edition O-Card Cover
Pokemon: Movies 1-3 Collection Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray]
- Steelbook set with 3 Blu-rays
Pokemon: Movies 1-3 Collection Standard Edition [DVD]

21st November 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Season 1 [DVD]

28th November 2016
Akira: The Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD + Digital]
- Includes Streamline & Pioneer English dubs, Rigid collectors box, Art cards, reversible inlay and classic movie poster and bonus DVD and Digital Copy
One Piece: Collection 14 [DVD]

12th December 2016
The Transformers Movie: 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray]
- Steelbook set with 2 Blu-rays of the newly remastered movie (Both aspect ratios), immersive bonus content including brand-new featurettes, plus many more.

19th December 2016
Digimon Adventure Tri: Movie 1 Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
- Double Walled Slip Cover, BD Case with reversible sleeve, mini booklet, 1 x BD disc and set of art cards.
Digimon Adventure Tri: Movie 1 Standard Edition [DVD]

Delayed to 2017
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled: Collection 1 [Blu-ray] [DVD]
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb: Complete Collection [Blu-ray] [DVD] - Common sense, this is going to happen
Samurai Warriors: Complete Collection [Blu-ray] [DVD]

Well im surprise Nisekoi is 2 parts considering its only 12 eps unless they plan to include the 4 OVA's which being Kaze I doubt. Six episodes per disc isnt great. Will get the Transformers set as the DVD I have looks crap.

Weren't the OVAs bundled with some volumes of the manga in Japan? Besides, I'm pretty sure AoA don't have them either, so there's no way the UK would—Khazi or not.

It's been confirmed that their Digimon Tri release will have dual audio making it the first Digimon release to do so in the west.

Wait, Chunibyo has been delayed to next year? Isn't it out on August 29th?

Nice to have a date for Snafu 2 as well - will definitely be grabbing that. Akira, Transformers, Pokemon and Digimon are also likely picks for me.

Anyone know if Perfect Insider will have a dub yet?

Lutga said:
Wait, Chunibyo has been delayed to next year? Isn't it out on August 29th?

Anyone know if Perfect Insider will have a dub yet?

Jerome confirmed that the August release date is no longer being used for the show. It's also worth noting that Manga Animatsu relies on Sentai to create the authors for the Sentai shows (like Chunibyo) and because of TBS (the Japanese licensor) the Blu-ray version has been held back to an unknown date. Sentai's line-up so far have listed up to November and knowing Sentai they'll release Chunibyo 2 in CE form only and given there's a bunch of popular titles from the Spring/Summer line-up I don't see Chunibyo 2 getting released this December (assuming the 1 CE a month is applied). At the very least perhaps February 2017.

The Perfect Insider is confirmed to be released in Japanese with English subtitles only.

Back