Manga Ent. license 11 new Funimation anime series for UK

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Following on from <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1740/manga-ent-uk-strike-deal-with-funimation-for-5-anime-series">August's news</a>,<strong><em> Manga Entertainment UK</em></strong> and North America's <em><strong>Funimation </strong></em>have officially announced an&nbsp; exclusive distribution partnership. This is an agreement which will see the former release at least 11 new anime series on DVD in the UK (and Ireland), many of which will be starting in 2009:
<ul>
<li>Baldr Force EXE</li>
<li>Claymore</li>
<li>Darker Than Black</li>
<li>Ghost Hunt</li>
<li>Jyu Oh Sei</li>
<li>My Santa</li>
<li>Negima Season 2</li>
<li>Ouran High School Host Club</li>
<li>Sasami</li>
<li>Save Me Lollipop</li>
<li>xxxHOLiC</li>
</ul>
In their official press release, Manga Entertainment's Colin Lomax states that "Our sales and marketing expertise, coupled with Funimation&rsquo;s strong lineup of titles, convinced both companies that these could be some of the best selling new franchises of 2009 in the UK".

There are two eye catching titles: Claymore and Darker than Black. I would've given Claymore 10/10 if not for the last few episodes. Darker than Black had an excellent first 6 episodes and I need to watch the last 4 episodes.

If Manga can manage to combine their usual pricing with their recent release quality, this has made me happy.

I'll definately buy Claymore and seeing Darker than Black in English will be much better far too much talking to keep up with in the Japanese one. Will probably get Ouran too.

Does this mean there's a chance that more Funi releases will make their way over here such as the titles that they got from Geneon? Still this is good news i've heard good things about Darker then Black so i'll add that to the list for 09

Very interesting. Though most of that list doesn't interest me at all I could certainly be persuaded to look into Juu ou sei and Ouran.

R

Just Passing Through said:
It better not be exclusive!

I still want Revelation to finish off the series that they have on hiatus!

Phew panic over. The text of the release says...

"Manga Entertainment UK has licensed the exclusive rights to market, sell and distribute a number of new anime titles from FUNimation® Entertainment"

It's specific titles only, not everything under the Funimation banner.

Aion said:
If Claymore doesn't interest you then quitting anime is a good plan.
Is this directed at me? Many times I've heard it described as "Berserk-lite". If that's the case, I may as well spend the money on Berserk manga. Plus, Shonen Jump :cry:

It's like Berserk, just with women making men look weak, none of the monster raping business and a decent budget. It has the same dark medieval feel that Berserk gives and it even has one of the best flashback stories ever - very much like Berserk.

It doesn't make you look more grown-up if you reject SJ titles just because they're SJ titles.

Your loss. :)

I tried to download the first season of that last night, but I ended up unable to find an active torrent or active DDL links. The story sounds fairly similar to that of Death Note, which is a big plus.

Claymore never really grabbed me from the concept. It might be a really good Berserk rehash, but it didn't look like it brought anything new enough to the table to get me to part with some cash.

Maybe how much you want to see it is related to how much you already like Berserk. My OH is a die hard fan and I think it has rubbed off a little. He wasn't interested in Claymore either. Still, it seems very popular so must be doing something right.

Now Hell Girl, that one I'm waiting on a nice entry level box set too. Sounds more to my taste :)

R

BlackWolf said:
Does this mean there's a chance that more Funi releases will make their way over here such as the titles that they got from Geneon? Still this is good news i've heard good things about Darker then Black so i'll add that to the list for 09
FUNimation didn't get any titles from Geneon. Geneon still own the worldwide rights. They produce the titles while FUNimation merely took over the US distribution of them. Manga could get a few of them (I don't think that MVM have actually left many Geneon titles alone but there are a couple that haven't been licenced by them yet) but that would have nothing to do with FUNimation. There is a possibility that some of the ADV titles may get distributed by Manga given that they were taken on by FUNimation with worldwide licencing rights.

It'd be more accurate to say it's good for fans of dark fantasy than fans of Berserk. The setting aside, there are very few similarities between the two, the stories being totally different. The reason Claymore keeps getting recommended to Berserk fans is mainly down to how few top class dark medieval fantasy series are out there.

It's too bad the anime didn't end like Berserk. Instead of going for the cliffhanger style ending, Madhouse did an awful job of coming up with an original ending. The worst part was that the original ending STILL ended up being a cliffhanger!

I'll be interested to see how Manga package the complete box sets. Funimation have been getting a bad name due to the quality of their sets and Manga aren't the most reliable when it comes to quality. If they make the sets into thinpack sets, which would allow me to see most of the individual DVD art, I'd love them forever.

Gawyn said:
BlackWolf said:
FUNimation didn't get any titles from Geneon. Geneon still own the worldwide rights. They produce the titles while FUNimation merely took over the US distribution of them. Manga could get a few of them (I don't think that MVM have actually left many Geneon titles alone but there are a couple that haven't been licenced by them yet) but that would have nothing to do with FUNimation. There is a possibility that some of the ADV titles may get distributed by Manga given that they were taken on by FUNimation with worldwide licencing rights.

Ah i see thanks :) i was mainly intrested in seeing if this news meant that we may get to see a Fate Stay Night R2 release, originally i thoguht MVM would of picked it up but they've been quiet about it

Claymore and Darker than Black weren't amazing shows, but I still may have a look.

Claymore's quality seemed to slip over the series. It lacks Berserk's level of storytelling and characterisation, that said it's a solid action fantasy yarn with high production values so I may give it another shot.

Darker than Black felt like a series with massive potential that fell short in the conclusion, however it's style and the interesting ideas surrounding the contractors carries it to a degree. It's the kind of thing I'd like to see a second series of.

Back