UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [UK Anime Distributor] Manga Entertainment Discussion Th

Considering the wording of the announcement as well as the previous one, I'd say it's just a Kaze release they're distributing.
Pretty sure Aniplex guy at the MCM Panel said it was licensed to Kaze anyway.

Thankfully I've got 2 of the 4 (Part 3 & 4 are pre-oredered) volumes of Nisekoi from Aniplex already so i know i don't have to worry about any eventual screw ups from either Kaze or Manga

Knew it was going to happen this way, still disappointed that its the case though. Looks like I'm sticking to just rewatching it on Crunchyroll :)

NormanicGrav said:
Off topic, but if Manga UK randomly announced they'll be distributing Chunibyo! then expect a very poor treatment if Kaze is involved.
1 BD for Chuuni? Jesus Christ. And to think I was worried that Sentai only used 1 BD50/25. I feel sorry for the French. Considering that the market for anime in supposedly bigger than America, I think it's pretty disgusting that a major company over there like Kaze consistently cheaps out and puts out crap products. It's **** like this that makes me thankful that companies like AniplexUSA exist.

King Jimmeh said:
Knew it was going to happen this way, still disappointed that its the case though. Looks like I'm sticking to just rewatching it on Crunchyroll :)
You'll be missing out on the obligatory SHAFT background changes and redraws ;)

Mangaranga said:
1 BD for Chuuni? Jesus Christ. And to think I was worried that Sentai only used 1 BD50/25. I feel sorry for the French. Considering that the market for anime in supposedly bigger than America, I think it's pretty disgusting that a major company over there like Kaze consistently cheaps out and puts out crap products. It's **** like this that makes me thankful that companies like AniplexUSA exist.

The french market used to be the biggest in Europe for a while, nowadays Germany and Italy beat France for certain. But I don't think it was bigger than america. Maybe the percentage of people buying anime was much higher…
It suffered A LOT because of pirating (french peps hate buying something that they can get for free, more than any other nation, no joke). Some bad mouths (who said C.L.?) say that distributors with low prices killed the market, which is complete ******** since that particular distributor has been keeping the market alive those last 2 years.

And yeah, Kazé bought the european rights for Nisekoi.

SpaceDandy said:
The french market used to be the biggest in Europe for a while, nowadays Germany and Italy beat France for certain. But I don't think it was bigger than america. Maybe the percentage of people buying anime was much higher…
It suffered A LOT because of pirating (french peps hate buying something that they can get for free, more than any other nation, no joke). Some bad mouths (who said C.L.?) say that distributors with low prices killed the market, which is complete ******** since that particular distributor has been keeping the market alive those last 2 years.

And yeah, Kazé bought the european rights for Nisekoi.
Germany potentially being a bigger market than France comes as a surprise to me to be honest, especially considering that most series there are still released over multiple volumes. Companies appear to do a better job when it comes to the video/audio quality of titles over there though, so I suppose you get what you pay for. The quality of Kaze Germany releases are meant to be pretty damn good over there too - granted it's a completely different team e.g. not located in France.

I don't know if I'd necessarily disagree that low prices are killing the market. As an outsider looking in, some companies release things stupidly cheap. I mean, you can get complete 2 cour series like Darker than Black or Accel World on Bluray, with a booklet for sub 30 EUR. It's like the MangaUK scenario, but worse.

I do agree some releases are maybe too cheap but that's the only way to actually sell them here. Sometimes the title gets a LE before being released a few months later in those cheaper set, it depends. Not really like Manga's strategy imo.
And it may be interesting to point out that the most prominent publisher in france during the golden era was the one with the cheapest boxset (price-wise, the product quality was allright), the company owned like 50% of the marketshare. And it is that same distributor that made the usual licence price explode with a bunch of licence reaching completly insane price (like >16k€ per episode for a 2-cour title).

I guess at its peak the French market could support the cheaper, mass-market-friendly releases since there were a lot more people interested than in the UK. Manga UK basically ran the value of anime down to nothing without there being enough people here to support it. France also has considerably more classic anime than we do (even more than the US, IMO) which is something I really envy.

Sad to hear that the problems the US had with massive license cost inflation happened in France too; I guess both sides fed into the same problem and gave the Japanese publishers the wrong idea about what they should be demanding. I'm quite surprised to hear Italy is a big market; I'd have agreed about that a few years back when it seemed ubiquitous but on my last visit anime was almost as hard to find as it is here! I guess I wasn't looking in the right places.

R

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
Off topic, but if Manga UK randomly announced they'll be distributing Chunibyo! then expect a very poor treatment if Kaze is involved.

Most Sentai releases nowadays only use 1 BD 50GB disc; for instance A-Channel (which was released two weeks ago) has the entire series on a signal Blu-ray disc - the second disc is just for the extra features.

I remember Sentai starting this (1 disc approach) a few months back, especially for Sub-only releases, as - according to them - with the English dub removed they could get all of the episodes on 1 disc (which of course made me laugh).

the French release of Chunibyo probably has all episodes on a single disc and no bonus content (just like K/Un-Go was released in UK).

Right it turns out that Kaze France are distributing Nisekoi and there's two box sets on schedule.

April 1, 2015
- Box 1 (DVD)
- Box 1 (Blu-ray)

July 1, 2015
- Box 2 (DVD)
- Box 2 (Blu-ray)

Disc count or Episode count are to be confirmed.

UPDATE: Since the main Nisekoi page doesn't state any info on the sets I went on Google and I managed to notice it's just 2 sets. So that's 10 episodes per set, most likely 1 disc per set.

I also noticed Kaze France are releasing Halo: Nightfall and Princess Jellyfish on Blu-ray in March, and Nura Season 1 Part 1 on Blu-ray in April.

Kazé is actually releasing Nisekoi as 2 different boxset per cour in France (*2 as BD and DVD are separated). Each cour will get a simple digipak release (SRP 50€) (I'm assuming it'll be like Magi) and a bigger boxset that includes volumes 1 to 4 of the manga (and part 2/2 will include 5 to 8, I guess) (SRP 76€).
Considering there's 10 episodes per boxset, they will likely go for one BD50. Or maybe Kazé will learn from that Chunibyo boxset…? Doubt it.

SpaceDandy said:
Considering there's 10 episodes per boxset, they will likely go for one BD50. Or maybe Kazé will learn from that Chunibyo boxset…? Doubt it.
It'd be nice if they went the Kaze Germany route and did 2 Discs with the same split as Aniplex, but I've no doubt it'll be one BD.
Meanwhile at Aniplex - Their first two sets use two BD50s with 35gb used on each. If Code Geass is anything to go by (and pretty much every other distributor there is), Kaze won't use anywhere near the amount of space they have (CG discs are ~37gb each or something)

Next Q2 announcement and it's Bleach 15 part 1,got to say disappointing doesn't even begin to describe it. looks like it's all kaze's licences.

So can we safely say at this point that Manga UK is done as a first party distributor and Animatsu is their original acquisitions department, renamed and reorganised to avoid the corporate hassle of being part of Starz?

I think it's good that they're getting the word out about their ongoing titles, but they really overdid the amount of hype for the first of the two Bleach announcements ^^;

"We shared the news early with a focus group... The result led to extreme shock followed by glee"

Really?

R

Rui said:
"We shared the news early with a focus group... The result led to extreme shock followed by glee"

Really?

R
Maybe they asked a group of high schoolers? That's the only sort of demographic I can see getting this excited about something like this.

What Manga failed to clarify is that the focus group were subjected to electroshock treatment and a forced viewing of a US musical TV show.

It's funny really as Bleach is literally the only thing I buy from Manga now days, and it's simply because by the time I stopped buying their stuff, I was 11 series into Bleach so kinda wanna finish, but only interested in full series collections so yeah lol but I agree, they didn't half over hype it.

If they're announcing Q2 stuff already suffice to say it means there's probably not going to be anymore Q1 stuff from them aside from what's already been announced. Likewise, kind of worrying to see that all they've announced is Kaze licenses that had probably already been on the table for them - are they actively going out and seeking anything new?

Rui said:
So can we safely say at this point that Manga UK is done as a first party distributor and Animatsu is their original acquisitions department, renamed and reorganised to avoid the corporate hassle of being part of Starz?

I've been thinking the same thing, I mean if Andrew and Jerome were leaving why would Manga want to help them, it's direct competition. So I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I just hope it leads to better quality releases. I don't think Manga are a bad company and they get a lot of good/popular shows out but some of the issues that have gone on need to be solved for future releases.

I think it's interesting in hindsight now to look back on Manga's final year (and by this, I mean the period immediately before the various notable dips in quality) - I think between the period of early 2013 and September 2014 (when AOT came out) - the number of releases they put out was absolutely staggering, especially when you consider the majority had both BR and DVD versions. I don't think there was a single week when there weren't two Manga titles out. Whatever you thought of them, it was kinda impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back