Manga UK's Wicked City and 4K AKIRA Releases Affected By Issues

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Long-awaited Demon City Blu-ray lacks the anime's iconic swear-filled British dub, while Manga UK's first ever 4K release of the iconic AKIRA is presented in 4K SDR, instead of the 4K HDR seen in the Japanese release.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I would love to see what Manga UK say about Wicked City

I'm going to take a guess the dub was owned by someone other than Manga UK and they couldn't be bothered paying royalty to use it.

Leading to the predicament where the US release has access to the British dub while the UK doesn't

If this is the case then I want to personally reward Manga UK a 10/10 for their release. Not because how good it is, but becuse it shows how they've gone from a leading anime company in the UK to /just meh/ over the last few years

I didn't know that about Akira! I might attempt importing the Japanese release at some point. Hopefully Manga does something about Wicked City.

Has anyone been able to confirm yet if Wicked City was uncut? I recall reading a post somewhere that the runtime listed was the runtime for the original cut version.

I quickly checked my disc for the runtime, and it states 1hr 22mins 15secs, so as I haven't checked the disc in full, nor do I have any previous UK releases, I'm unable to confirm if Wicked City was truly uncut. Interestingly, Rightstuf listed Discotek's release's runtime as 80 (mins), but it's possible they rounded it up or down to the nearest tens.

EDIT: I've quickly looked on Wikipedia Japan and Amazon Japan for the runtime and they both list 82 mins/1hr 22mins. The earlier UK release had 1min 48secs cut.

Last edited:
Checking the BBFC listing for the original cut release, the runtime is 80mins 18s and the new BD release is 82mins and 15s as mentioned above. So it’s the actual uncut release as far as I can tell.

I just watched the Demon City Shinjuku BD and noticed that in the scene where the Boy throws the Hand grenade there is no sound (00:34:28) but i can clearly see he is saying something. This happens later again when the boy talks to the others in their room (00:39:35). Does anybody else has this Problem or is it only on my Player (i testet it with the english dub 5.1 and 2.0)? Or has this been always in the english dub?

The first instance was definitely the same in Manga's VHS version (yeah, I'm old). I remember being confused by it at the time, and of course there was no way to check the Japanese dialogue. Second instance I don't remember as well but I'm fairly sure it's the same thing and, for whatever reason, those lines were not dubbed.

The first instance was definitely the same in Manga's VHS version (yeah, I'm old). I remember being confused by it at the time, and of course there was no way to check the Japanese dialogue. Second instance I don't remember as well but I'm fairly sure it's the same thing and, for whatever reason, those lines were not dubbed.
I remember this from the VHS aswell, the same thing with the US Manga Corps DVD release.

I got my Akira replacement disc last week and have since watched it. Good on Manga for replacing it; the 4K transfer of Akira isn't going to blow anyone's socks off but it's better than I expected and the HDR certainly enriches the experience in comparison to the SDR encode.

Back