Shigurui: Death Frenzy - Complete Series
RRP: £19.99

10037298x.jpg

(BLU-RAY) Shigurui: Death Frenzy Complete Series
RRP: £29.99

10502393x.jpg

Trailers/Openings/Clips

Claymore

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMPRcwThXVU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMPRcwThXVU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darker Than Black

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7lAFH1VApc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7lAFH1VApc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Shigurui: Death Frenzy
*WARNING! trailer a bit gory*

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RL033M5y6T4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RL033M5y6T4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

May have to bring myself in on Shigurui to support the fact it's being released on BD.

Not seen it though, so would appreciate someone saying "it's total crap", if it indeed is, just to pre-warn me. ^^;

A first for me: it seems I'm getting all of these week's releases. :thumb:

-Darker than Black is a series I'm curious to check out, ever since I saw the first episode online; Play already shipped my order.

-Shigurui: Death Frenzy: anime on Blu-Ray looks awesome, I've been so impressed with what I've seen so far to a point where I pretty much buy anything anime that gets released on the format in Region B; I believe I currently own all UK Blu-Ray anime releases (which are not that numerous), except Animatrix and the Gunbuster vs. Diebuster boxset.

-Claymore: frankly, this is a series I never gave any attention to, until a few days ago someone suggested me the series on these forums; I've seen the first episode online, and I found it very enjoyable, and I'm now purchasing the available volumes.

sanji no 1 said:
Claymore volume 3 and 4 out tomorow!?!?!
But i have no money!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!

You should be happy about that
3 hours of torture prevented.....ha ha yes
take that studio madhouse bet your crying now

and yes I want nothing from this list....Mer

Nothing for me this week. Again I'm glad as R1 was loaded with good releases recently and I have finite money!

R

unellmay said:
Oooh I saw an advert for the blue ray version of darker then black
in-between the latest Bakemonogatari episode looks interesting
This is a consideration. I'm quite interested in DTB but given that there is a blu-ray boxed set scheduled for release in Japan soon, and that Manga seem to be the ones getting on with the transition to blu-ray the fastest I wonder if I might be throwing my money away buying the DVD's.

On a related note, got Shigurui on Blu-ray. Came in a nice boxed set of two cases. Each case also has reversible sleeves, which I didn't notice at first (probably the blue plastic - you won the format war, time to get rid and replace it with a nice black, grey or clear).

ayase said:
unellmay said:
Oooh I saw an advert for the blue ray version of darker then black
in-between the latest Bakemonogatari episode looks interesting
This is a consideration. I'm quite interested in DTB but given that there is a blu-ray boxed set scheduled for release in Japan soon, and that Manga seem to be the ones getting on with the transition to blu-ray the fastest I wonder if I might be throwing my money away buying the DVD's.

Depends how much you care about something to be slightly higher quality

ayase said:
It's definitely one of the things I now very much take into consideration when purchasing DVDs, the likelihood of a Blu-Ray release. In this case, I seriously doubt a Blu-Ray release will happen in the next 12 months or so. Manga's Blu-Ray releases have been pretty much "ports" of FUNimation releases (happening a few months after the US releases), and FUNimation has yet to announce a Darker Than Black release (and they seem to have announced their Blu-Ray schedule until the end of the year), so it's safe to say it's not coming soon. And lets not forget while the Blu-Ray market is rising, it's still not big enough for us to get everything that's been released on BD in Japan, there's quite a few releases that still haven't made it to us.

I decided to pick up the DVDs anyway, to check the show in the meantime, since I enjoyed the first episode. If I enjoy the show enough to warrant another purchase, I'll pick up the Blu-Ray release (if it's to happen, because lets face it: if the DVD doesn't sell, I doubt they will bother with a BD release) and I'll give my DVDs to a friend, to give someone else the chance to check out the series.
Manga's current price-point, with double volumes/2 disc sets for a nice price (I used to pay more for a single R1 volume than what we are paying for these 2 disc sets) make it a bit more digestible.

unellmay said:
Depends how much you care about something to be slightly higher quality
I keep seeing comments like these, but I really have to wonder if everyone making these comments has seen Anime on BD. I admit I was one of the skeptical ones regarding the benefits of the format, and thought the difference between formats would be minor, but I can now say I was totally wrong. Unless it's a SD source badly unconverted, the Blu-Ray looks miles ahead of a DVD. Two of my first BD purchases were Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet, and they are miles ahead anything a DVD can handle.
It's true there's been a few shoddy releases, but make no mistake: the higher definition of the Blu-Ray format makes for some very impressive visual quality in Anime works, miles ahead of what a DVD can give us.

Back