[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

While not mentioned by Discotek, more Conan will most likely include "Movie 21 - The Crimson Love Letter", as this was dubbed last year by TMS and has not yet been released in the US.

Memories is a fantastic announcement and I'll probably get Cagliostro in 4K (though I seem to remember the Japanese release being heavily degrained) but I'm not sure which of those announcements was supposed to be mind-blowing. Not the Conan I was hoping for anyway.

France has released Movies 1-16 so far, with 6 more movies (+2 specials) announced. However, all current releases don't include a French dub.

Germany has released 1-22 and all feature-length-specials so far (excluding one of the Lupin crossovers) and Movie 23 scheduled for later this year (all releases dubbed). 300+ TV-episodes released on DVD (still ongoing)

Italy and Spain had several Case Closed movies, but I don't know if they were released on disc or Cinema / TV only

Sure. Germany has just about all of them and France also released 20 or so of them in one go last year or so.

Huh. Interesting there, how different countries do localise different stuff. I know they do that with manga too considering there are french and german translated copies of manga of series I would like to get.

WMs1SREl.png

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is getting both an Aniplex of America release and a Funimation release.

Aniplex sets will cost $159.98 SRP per 1-cour (12-13 eps each) and will include a box, booklet and OSTs. Part 1 due for 30th June and Part 2 due for 24th November.

Funimation will offer standard edition 1-cour sets in 2021. Part 1 due for September and Part 2 due for January.

My gut feeling is Se Only and we don’t know yet it FUNi is re authoring there’s so I’m going to import thanks...
It's possible that Funimation could re-author Demon Slayer to lock the subtitles during playback (and change the font of the subtitles to match Funi's existing releases), and possibly translate the credits to English, unless Aniplex asks Funimation to leave the credits in Japanese.

Huh. Interesting there, how different countries do localise different stuff. I know they do that with manga too considering there are french and german translated copies of manga of series I would like to get.
Conan had going for it, that it ran on TV early 2000s (and hardly any if no other mystery title was in the same department) and anything from back then has had it's manga have a pretty major boost. The manga is a solid pilar to this day. While there is a lot of modern nostalgia going from it, it's even now one of the very few titles that are child friendly while also brainy enough you don't really have to hide reading it as an adult that much.
Though the movies obviously aren't that brainy as they are more blunt flashy action spectacles compared to the main series. But the brand still sticks for those and the movies are welcome things for the casual fans with no stamina for the still going endlessness of the main series.

Also, thankfully, they didn't do any licalizations on names or the like. The Manga company even reproduces the look and feel of the JP manga covers. (The JP covers have the characters before a photograph. The Photograph is apparantely some part of the manga license or something, so they aren't allowed to use it. Other langauge editions just simply leave it out, but the German one opted to pick an own photograph showing more or the same object or something else related to the case.)

Conan had going for it, that it ran on TV early 2000s (and hardly any if no other mystery title was in the same department) and anything from back then has had it's manga have a pretty major boost. The manga is a solid pilar to this day. While there is a lot of modern nostalgia going from it, it's even now one of the very few titles that are child friendly while also brainy enough you don't really have to hide reading it as an adult that much.
Though the movies obviously aren't that brainy as they are more blunt flashy action spectacles compared to the main series. But the brand still sticks for those and the movies are welcome things for the casual fans with no stamina for the still going endlessness of the main series.

Also, thankfully, they didn't do any licalizations on names or the like. The Manga company even reproduces the look and feel of the JP manga covers. (The JP covers have the characters before a photograph. The Photograph is apparantely some part of the manga license or something, so they aren't allowed to use it. Other langauge editions just simply leave it out, but the German one opted to pick an own photograph showing more or the same object or something else related to the case.)

Um, are you sure the names aren't localized? Because I've picked up volume 1 in the past to take a look and found both the MC's original name plus his love interest's name changed. Shinichi to Jimmy, Ran to Rachel, and there might be others I don't know about.

I guess it mostly depends on what shows the TV-stations picked up, before these "cartoons" became known as "anime" - and before Streaming was a thing. In the early days, some shows even got extra episodes never shown on japanese TV (some released on VHS/DVD in Japan). But to become a successfull evergreen, one also needs a great dub and keep these voice actors...
And that can be a problem, if one or more popular voice actors retire, die or just don't want to dub long running TV-series.

Due to the costs involved in dubbing anime, and people accepting prices like 7-10€ per episodes only for shorter series, long series still can't get european dubs without getting co-licensed by a TV-station. Sadly no TV-station was interested in Shojo-series (except Sailor Moon)

Um, are you sure the names aren't localized? Because I've picked up volume 1 in the past to take a look and found both the MC's original name plus his love interest's name changed. Shinichi to Jimmy, Ran to Rachel, and there might be others I don't know about.
She's talking about the German version.

Back