Parasyte live action movie planned

Mangaminx

Stand User
According to Empire magazine, (and also noticed by forum regular Paranoia Agent) Japanese director Takashi Shimizu (who directed Ju-On: The Grudge) is working on a live action adaptation of Hatosi Iwaaki's "Parasyte" manga.

The film will use both live action and CG special effects with a story centring around alien spores landing on earth and taking over human bodies. The movie may be a while in arriving however as Shimizu is currently working on The Grudge 2.

This sounds like it could be a half way decent adaptation, Shimizu is a gifted director and whilst the US version of 'The Grudge' may have fallen flat the original is a seminal scare-em-up. I've only caught glimpses of the Parasyte manga, very much in the vein of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' but given a requisite injection of Japanese insanity, it's one of Tokyopop's older titles and therefore a real struggle to get a hold of. In Shimizu's hands I could see this turning into a fantastically dark action flick, I'd rather see it before another belated Ju-On sequel anyday.

Alien pods come to Earth and, naturally, start taking over Human Hosts. One such pod only manages to take over one human's, Shin Izumi, left arm. Together they grow and co-exist, all the while the other aliens are making meals of other humans; Shin feels he must put a stop to it all, but his alien, Lefty, doesn't see why.

Just from reading that plot synopsis and looking at some of the artwork, I'm really interested in this story. A very weird concept but cool none the less.

Back