Physical Copy Vs. Digital

Puzzled here, which licensor does sell their movies/series on HDD/SSD? … oh wait I know what you mean, no in this case it’s theft is never ownership 🤯:(
I think he meant home made, in which case no ripping your blu-rays onto a plex server isn't theft nor is it illegal. I don't do it myself (as getting the tools together is a pain) but it's a great way to back up your discs incase they start to go.

I think he meant home made, in which case no ripping your blu-rays onto a plex server isn't theft nor is it illegal. I don't do it myself (as getting the tools together is a pain) but it's a great way to back up your discs incase they start to go.

Also you can buy official digital downloads of some series and put them on an external HDD/SSD if there isn't enough space on your computer's hard drive/you want a backup tbf (though yes some of them won't let you play it on there cuz of DRM). Same with manga, like Humble Bundles and stuff.

We’ll never know as zrdb will not react on this, hummm is that for a reason… 🤔

Anyways I do have a Plex server running too, where I rip my BD‘s on and then consume them on an Apple TV.

I'm planning on stopping (or at least massively cutting back on) buying anime BDs/DVDs and eventually moving to streaming when I finally finish all the series I've amassed over the years.

I've never rewatched an anime series (except Haruhi), so there's really not much point in buying physical for me. I finish the show, then they just take up space on a shelf or in a box or whatever.

I've started selling some of the shows I've watched and already made a little bit of profit against what I originally paid for them, which is nice!

Last edited:
I'm planning on stopping (or at least massively cutting back) on buying anime BDs/DVDs and eventually moving to streaming when I finally finish all the series I've amassed over the years.

I've never rewatched an anime series (except Haruhi), so there's really not much point in buying physical for me. I finish the show, then they just take up space on a shelf or in a box or whatever.

I've started selling some of the shows I've watched and already made a little bit of profit against what I originally paid for them, which is nice!
Since I've subscribed to streaming services, I've realised how everything is in one place and on the go (mobile, Switch etc.) in such a convenient way. Everyday I'm eyeing my physical media shelf telling to it "I'll sell you" like a crazy person.

I've been going on a massive physical clear out and feeling much satisfied with how much space is created as well as making way over the original price paid.

When it comes to Physical Vs Digital, my thoughts are simply this. Purchase physical media you are genuinely happy to get and/or wish to avoid the risk of selling out.

For every other title you're curious about but uncertain to buy or not. That's where streaming comes in where you have access to a massive library. No more commitments or paying for each title you could possibly feel money is wasted.

Though for titles that aren't available in the UK or on any streaming platforms, then go for a physical (while avoiding paying donkey prices if possible 🐴)

I've long been converted to digital for video games just because physical copies don't really exist anymore on PC and that's my platform of choice. For anime and manga though, I have a strong preference for physical. Unless I get like a bundle or it's unlicensed (cough cough) I'll even pay much more for physical when it comes to manga and ignore the cheaper digital option.

As a millennial I'm still very fond of physical media for everything whether it's anime, music, films or whatever even though it takes up room for storing it all.
I've lost digital purchases in a hard drive crash before and the risk of buying digital is that it becomes unavailable for re-download or re-purchase if something bad happens to your copy. Although I have a NAS these days so buying digital releases is less of a risk. And then there's DRM. The first digital music single I ever bought (in WMA format) became unplayable because the DRM authentication server went offline.

Back