Princess Tutu!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I thought I'd share a few thoughts on the first DVD release of Princess Tutu with you all!!

I knew very little about this anime before I purchased the first DVD and although there were a few sites about it, which were nice, most reviews I'd read were rather negative about it but it looked kinda nice and so I went for it anyway!!

Quick synopsis: Based on a German (?) fairy tale of the Prince and the Raven, it's a tale of a Prince who seals away an evil raven but in the process loses his heart, which is shattered into 8 shards and disappears. Both the raven and the Prince escape from the story book into the real world, where our heroine resides but far from your usual sweet pretty girl, she is infact a duck!!

My first impressions of this anime are it's so cute :D but nice cute, not sugary cute!! The animation style is very similar to Ojamajo Doremi (and at some point I'm going to look into whether it's the same creator), very skinny, long-legged characters, with a lot of charm and personality! The story is centred around a ballet school, so of course ballet plays a large part in this anime!! Those said ballet scenes are done very well and all of the dancing is done to classical music (the only 3 I recognised were The Nutcracker Suite, Swan Lake and the main music from Giselle!!). Duck is magically tranformed into a girl whose mission it is to find the Prince's "heart" but she can never let anyone know she is really a duck, which sometimes proves to be a problem, as when she comes into contact with water she becomes a duck again!!
Having no prior knowledge of Princess Tutu, I was actually unaware it was a magical girl anime, so imagine how chuffed I am :lol: the transformation scene was very different and surprisingly short! but very pretty and when duck transforms into Princess Tutu, she looks pretty cool :wink:
The animation itself is very pretty, the charcters have a "soft" appearance, no harsh vivid colours. The Japanese seiyuu fit perfectly with the characters, shame I can't say the same thing for the English language dub, it makes me shiver uncontrollably even now, when I think of how awful they were! Usually I'm pretty impressed with ADV dubs but these were just too awful for words :evil:

In summary, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of Princess Tutu. You can't help but fall instantly in love with every character but especially the ballet intructor Mr. Cat, who is actually a cat!! It's funny and sweet but definitely just pure entertainment (no thinking hard in this one!)

(The edits are spelling mistakes. Don't you just hate it when you've read through before posting and then still find spelling mistakes :cry: ).

According to the Sakuracon news , the 2nd volume is almost ready now too, after all the delays :) . Cant afford to start another title sadly , but its something I'll definately pick up in one chunk sometime!

I'm looking forward to volume 2, the first disc ended on a bit of a cliffhanger :lol: (just a quick note, they're not stingy with eps either, there are 5 on a disc!!).

Back