Rate the Last Film You Watched

I kind of think that's how it was always intended to be-each version of Bond exists in their own parallel universe separate from the others. There's certainly no way Sean Connery's version of Bond could exist alongside Daniel Craig's version.

Spider-Man No Way Home

Holy balls this film is so epic. Easily the best Spider-Man film ever made. I wont say anymore as I don't want to spoil anything for people who want to watch it. But 100% gone it before it gets spoiled for you.

1 million out of 10

I kind of think that's how it was always intended to be-each version of Bond exists in their own parallel universe separate from the others. There's certainly no way Sean Connery's version of Bond could exist alongside Daniel Craig's version.

Nothing 'parallel universe' about it. Sean Connery was Bond in the 60s. Craig was Bond in the 00s-present.

Nothing 'parallel universe' about it. Sean Connery was Bond in the 60s. Craig was Bond in the 00s-present.
I don't think that's how it goes, the James Bond character is an idea-a concept that could be inserted into an infinite number of scenarios. The 60's version or the current version are variations on the theme but are different takes-the alternate universe (or parallel). A lot of movie franchises are like that-Batman, Super Man etc.

I've been on a 50's sci fi movie trek lately. This Island Earth was my latest viewing, this is quite a good but under rated one from 1956. It has a lot of matte painted background art that's really good. Granted it looks and sounds a little hokey compared to modern day movies but for the time it was made it's only one or two notches below the best 50's sci fi movie-Forbidden Planet.

I don't think that's how it goes, the James Bond character is an idea-a concept that could be inserted into an infinite number of scenarios. The 60's version or the current version are variations on the theme but are different takes-the alternate universe (or parallel). A lot of movie franchises are like that-Batman, Super Man etc.

The reason your point stands with those franchises is that the characters are given back story that's designed to be based on an original template; Bond has, over the years, largely been a blank canvas - a character defined by his job rather than his own history. Fleming's books might be the same character, but it has long been hinted at (On Her Majesty's Secret Service: "this never happened to the other fellow") that Bond is a role taken on by different people chronologically and I don't think there's any in-universe reason that this couldn't be.

Spider-Man: No Way Home - Comme ci, comme ça. It feels like big-budget fanfiction, with characters written to serve plot rather than the other way around. The central romance feels underwritten, especially if you compare it to the Peter/MJ romance of the Sam Raimi trilogy, so while Holland and Zendaya have palpable chemistry (their off-screen relationship doing the heavy lifting there), the ending had less impact for me than it could have done if, you know, they had a scene together that wasn't comically interrupted by a third character. Zendaya gives a fine performance - she's one of the most talented actresses of her age and really deserves some more substantial big screen roles to come her way.

The reason your point stands with those franchises is that the characters are given back story that's designed to be based on an original template; Bond has, over the years, largely been a blank canvas - a character defined by his job rather than his own history. Fleming's books might be the same character, but it has long been hinted at (On Her Majesty's Secret Service: "this never happened to the other fellow") that Bond is a role taken on by different people chronologically and I don't think there's any in-universe reason that this couldn't be.
Well, that's hinted in the current movie where Bond has been retired for a few years and the current 007 is a black women. So yes, it seems that 007 is a job title and anybody with the right qualifications could be inserted into that role-hence my original assertion, disavowing the name that is 007 but James Bond himself is a concept but 007 is a job title.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 blu ray
Despite its comedic overtones it’s a hell of a lot better than the original which was more atmospheric than gory
Enjoyable watching a bunch of crazy cannibals go completely mad
As did Dennis Hopper……

Wheels on Meals (1984)

Being very used to seeing Jackie Chan as a megastar at the centre of his own films, it’s a little bit of a culture shock to me to finally see one of the ensemble pieces he did in the 80s with Sammo Hung and Yuen Bao. Unfortunately, this one feels a bit middling, following a pair of Chinese chefs running a high-tech food truck in Barcelona, and their badly-dressed detective friend, as they get mixed up with a pretty thief. The film does come to life in its second half, with a standout fight between Jackie and kickboxing champ Benny the Jet, but it often feels unfocused and rambling, with set pieces which just aren’t sustained at enough length to be really memorable, and a lot of time spent setting up a story which is fundamentally pretty simple.

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
One of Sam Peckinpahs best films with Warren Oates giving a fine performance
Peckinpahs usual trademark violence and slow motion/editing scenes are there 10/10

Haven’t seen the latest Bond film yet but despite me being told and reading negative reviews I’m still buying the blu ray
Previous messages have stated different parallel universes etc about previous actors - you’re talking crap! I have Connery, Moore, Brosnan & Craig dvds & blu rays and just enjoy them for their entertainment

The Seventh Curse (1986)

Mad as a box of frogs, this pulp-novel adventure sees a tough doctor (Siu-Ho Chin) battling to undo a deadly curse placed upon him by a vengeful sorcerer after he tries to prevent a human sacrifice in a remote part of Thailand. A big hit in Hong Kong at the time, the plot is absolute nonsense (if not a bit racist by today's standards), yet the filmmakers throw so many popular genre tropes into the pot that it's hard not to crack a smile as our heroes do battle with everyone and everything from terrorists to Shaolin monks to HR Geiger's alien. Look out for Chow Yun Fat in a small support role.

Prison on Fire (1987)

A curious companion piece to Ringo Lam's other big hit of that year, the neo-noir City on Fire, this tough, melancholy drama isn't quite a heroic bloodshed film, but feels adjacent enough to deserve inclusion in any discussion of the genre, focusing on the slowly forming bond between a sad-sack blue collar worker (Tony Leung Ka-Fei) who ends up behind bars for manslaughter, and a clownish long-term inmate (Chow Yun Fat). I don't have much else to say about it; it's just a really solid character piece that shows the two leads at the absolute top of their acting game.

I watched The Last Duel by Ridley Scott

If you are a fan of medieval films, I highly recommend this. It is based on a true (horrible) story. This film has quite a long runtime, and it goes over certain events multiple times, but from differing perspectives. I can see why this might put people off. However, I found the performances and script to be very good, so I felt the runtime was justified.

It does that thing where they show the beginning of the final scene at the very start. So you know what's coming. That final scene was very intense. I was shouting at the TV!

King Arthur-Director's Cut-it's kind of a messy movie and I question the claim that it's based on historical evidence but in the end it delivers.

Back