Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooter 7.5/10 read some of the reviews of this film not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this film.

Saw three movies over the weekend: two at the cinema, one at home.

Terminator Salvation 6/10 - o.k but the first two movies are still by far the best in the series.

Red Cliff 8/10 - very good. Only complaint is that it is two movies edited into one. Hopefully when it gets released on blu-ray it will be as two films.

Also saw Chungking Express (Criterion editon blu-ray) 9/10 As good as the first time I saw it.

Zodiac 8/10 very effective & well done thriller

Flags of our Fathers 8/10 another brillant Clint Eastwood directed film.The action scenes are fantastic but the core of this film is about the surviving servicemen who raised the second american flag on Mt. Suribachi.

Letters from Iwo Jima 10/10 Although a companion film to Flags of our Fathers, this film is so much more than that.This film is a very rare breed of film in that it is a major Hollywood film that shows the enemies ( this case the Imperial japanese navy and army soldiers that defended Iwo Jima ) as men with the same fears,hopes and loves as the men they fought.The real tragedy both in the film and in real life is that the invasion of Iwo Jima and then Okinawa were totally unnecessary as most military historians and scholars agree that both islands could have been isolated and surrounded and japan would still have surrendered when the atom bombs were dropped.
If you ever want to see a film that truly displays the absolute futility and horror of war then this film is it .I cannot recommend this film enough.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Skynet Edition Blu-ray 8/10

Not quite as good as the first film in the series, but very good all the same.

Saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen yesterday. 6/10.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and whilst it has some absolutely terrible comedy in it and some distracting shots of basically every single female in the movie, my main gripe with it is it being too long. The length worked quite well with the first movie, it introduced the characters and they changed somehow. They didn't in the sequel. Cliché I love you storyline was predictable. Transformers are stupidly hard to see when fighting, the same as the first movie. The parents should just die. Alex and Roberto must have used up their good juices on Star Trek.

Also, Naruto and Cloverfield posters. lol.

Watched What Happened In Vegas on Monday, I think, as well. It wasn't good. 6/10 but for very different reasons.

Tombstone 9/10 One the most under-rated western's I've ever seen.Great ensemble cast and Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday is spot on.

The Matrix Reloaded - 7/10

I enjoyed it but I was ultimately disappointed. The first film is very accomplished, and the second does not compare well to it. The action sequences saved it, IMO. There's an interesting story in there but it was poorly executed to say the least. Far too convoluted at times and marred by truly horrifically awful dialogue. Some of the early scenes are near-unmatchable because of how cringe-inducingly bad the dialogue is. That protracted tribal dance thingy at the start, right after Morpheus's speech was embarrassing as was the jarring sex scene. I did like the ending and I'll admit to get emotional over Trinity nearly dying (not a spoiler, it's given away in the first scene of the movie and even a glance at the Revolutions boxart shows she's clearly survived). Not great, then, but still enjoyable and I'm really looking forward to the third one now :]

:eek: guess you didn't like it then Jayne :p

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen 9/10

I like it better then the first movie, it certainly shut up those who complained that the first movie didn't contain enough robot action. The action was first rate and there was only one scene where i couldn't work out what was going on (it was the big melee at the end)

It also kept a certain tradition alive and well that's practically been in all Transformers Fiction that of prime dying and then coming back to life again.

They managed to work in aspects from all over the place, the matrix of leadership (it was a plot device when it was first brought into the 1986 animated movie and its a plot device now) even a Pretender appears, something i was a bit weary about since i thought people would just cry out that they were copying Terminator.

Also kudos to the writers for not messing up Soundwave.

There is some critisms though, Micheal Bay made a point of saying there is 41 robots in the film, there is however that should be clarified to say there isn't 41 unique robots, there's only about 20 roughly of them...

Jetfire was under-utlized, i get the feeling that in previous drafts of the script he may of been brought in earlier.

Still roll on 2012 with Transformers 3

Last edited by a moderator:
In Bruges - 8/10

I was forced to Watch this earlier, and before today, I hadn't of heard if it. Luckily it weren't as nearly as bad as it sounded out to be.

It was enjoyable film, basically about 2 Irish Hit-men, using a good combination of drama/action/comedy and surprised me with it's cast consisting of:

Collin Farell, Ralph Fieness, (the guy who plays Voldemort in the Harry Potter films) alongside Robbie... something (Plays as Hagrid from the Hp films. Dies at the hand of Ralph/Voldemort... Irony!)

The big plus in the movie was probably the huge amount of irony (besides that mentioned above) and that how everything connected up and came together with a hilarious ending.

Actually, I should probably give this film an 8/10. It was 7 before wrote the description.

Rushmore - 7/10

I'm not a fan of Bill Murray, so I was execting to switch straight over from this film. But it turned out to be a rather engaging and heart-warming comedy. Bill Murray played his usual charcter, but I didn't find him quite so sickening as I usually do.

Grosse Pointe Blank - 6/10

A rather enjoyable film. Moderately funny, fairly romantic. An interesting premises, though only half believable acting and chemistry.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Watched this on Monday and I thought it was better than the first one by far, and enough action in the film to satisfy the robot violence of most people. =P

9/10

Waltz with Bashir - 10/10

Beautiful, harsh, darkly comedic, moving, fascinating and ultimately, horrifying. The filmmaker's journey to discover what he has surpressed about his time fighting the war in Lebanon. Told through interviews, personal conversations and flashbacks, some exaggerated and even surreal. I think it's a whole new genre of it's own, war-docu-fantasy.

The animation took a while to get used to but when I realised that virtually any still would look at home in a graphic novel I got the style completely - by the end of the film I loved it.

OMD and PiL songs in the soundtrack surprised me too - and really worked. Soldiers on a boat dancing to Enola Gay while heading off to war is the sort of imagery that makes me grin from ear to ear in a film. Loved it. You may well laugh at least once at someone being shot dead because of the soundtrack and the direction. And you will immediately feel guilty about it. Such is the power of this film. The tone goes up and down between lighter and darker moments but never does it feel awkward.

If time doesn't single this out as a very important film then there really will be no hope left for the world. Go without cigarettes / alcohol / bread for a while and buy this DVD instead.

Blood: The Last Vampire - 2/10

KEEP ALL EXPECTATIONS LOW IF YOU'RE UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE THIS TRAIN WRECK.

Now. I planned to go out for the day and see this film with a few friends. For the week, we were all looking forward to it. All I can say is I would love that 5 pounds and 20p back, the bastards. There were about 20 people in that screening at the time and 4 people left after around 30 mins. It was around then where I became skeptical about the film and thought, "Surely it's not bad enough to leave? It'll get better... right?"

I was so disappointed...

I'll start with the first thing that alienated everyone:

The TERRIBLE CGI. I've never been one to fuss over how good or bad the special effects are with films, but these "special" effects were on a whole new level. Really, I cannot stress enough how bad they were. Everything looked bad and shown that they tried too hard or simply not enough. They gave the "bottom feeders/bloodsuckers" (the word "Vampire is never once said in the film. Go figure.) CGI blood which just looked like they bled blackcurrent flavoured Ribena. And the "Vampires" looked like ****. Nothing like what you would expect.

The Story: Typical plot for revenge against a "vamp that killed the main character's old man". This was probably the best thing about the film, and even that was "fair" as far as story lines go.

The pacing: What pacing? As quoted in an "Ask A Ninja!" video, it's like they threw all their ideas, mixed it all up a little, threw it all into a shotgun and fired everything onto a beach. They then payed a guy to collect the fragmented pieces and then put them together and to give the pieces to the actors.

Everything else: Nothing like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon if that's what you are hoping. The ad makes it seem like it uses Wire work throughout the film, when it's used for around 3 jumps near the end. The way the characters come and go through the film is bad, a lot of the events or characters are never explained properly.

At the end of watching this (Or 5 minutes after the end. I had started making shadow puppets for fun as a little compensation for the hour and 30 mins of my life the film sapped away) Dragonball: Evolution came to mind. And to really test the audience's bounderies, the creators thought they would be funny and dared to include a few well known CHEESY lines. It's almost as though they were challenging me to give less of a ****.

"What ever you do... Promise me... you'll never loose faith in who you are..." - A line that made my mind curl into a mental ball in an attempt to block out the bad.

The moral of the story was a simple message sent by the makers, clearly saying "we're bad at our job."

In conclusion: Don't see it, unless you're up for a few laughs at the failure effects, the crummy looking, well, everything and that you have a few things to look forward to afterwards.

Persepolis - 8.5/10

An interesting juxtaposition to Bashir this. Both films are personal stories based in fact, set against the backdrop of complicated Middle Eastern politics. Both also happen to be animated, and very well too I might add. Interesting. I always knew it was the best form of storytelling, hopefully this is the start of a trend of deeper, more adult animation from the West... Er, East. Whatever. Places other than Japan anyway, that's what I'm getting at.

The story of growing up in Iran around the time of the Revolution and Iran-Iraq War was very enlightening, especially since the main character's family was involved quite heavily in the politics of the time. Both Persepolis and Bashir give an idea of what it's like to be a real person caught up in these events which, being so detached from them, we often view more dispassionately or simply in political rather than human terms.

The mainly black and white animation is beautiful and unique, there's really nothing else to say about it. The story is told at just the right speed and balances Marjane's personal story well with wider issues, but if anything the film could have done to be a little longer to allow for more elaboration at some points. The Revolution itself for example is over without you ever really seeing it, which I thought was odd given the time spent on some of the other historical points such as the history of the Shah.

I think my main reason for not rating it higher was the issue of identification. I could identify with Marjane as a person to some extent, but the segments about relationships and indeed the central relationship of her and her grandmother aren't things I as a man can really identify with too well. Put it this way, I found it easier to relate to Ari Folman in his tank firing blindly into the darkness in Bashir than I did Marjane discovering her boyfriend was gay or her grandma telling her how she puts jasmine flowers in her bra. Not that I want to appear sexist, but I imagine that by and large women will get more out of this film. I would still however wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone as a really eye-opening experience.

Jayme said:
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, 10/10.

Best Movie Ever.
err... ok :)
I've seen this when I was still a kid and the one things I've liked about it was his transformation into a car.
Didn't like anything else in it.

I've seen Tetsujin 28 yesterday at Barbican - 5/10 as the presentation went, it's a film targeted at elementary boys. It's watchable, has a few funny moments, but it's well, too childish for my liking.

It's obviously not the best movie ever in proper terms, but I know of no other movie where a musician turns into a car, then into a transformer, then a spaceship. Whilst having kids performing Bad and Steven Spielberg and others in claymation chasing a rabbit.

I reiterate, Best. Movie. Ever.

Blood the Last Vampire 4/10.
Not the worst movie I have seen, and so nearly got bits right. The opening scene on the train was almost straight from the anime. But it just managed to fail from there, when it could have been good. The film is set in the 70s which must be where they got the computers from that they did the special effects on. The demons were like Ray Harryhausen claymation but less believable, and any action felt too stilted and without flow.

The Hangover, 7.5/10.

Probably one of the better comedies I've seen. Ed Helms was great, and I loved how ridiculous some of it got. Well worth a watch if you want a comedy that isn't all about one-liners. Could easily get a 10/10 but I had such high expectations, and it didn't deliver on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back