Recomendations

NormanicGrav said:
Lutga said:
True - yeah, actually animals getting hurt (particularly cats, as I have one myself) is one of my few no-gos in anime - it'll pretty much be an instant turn-off for me if something like that happens

Well then you're not going to like JoJo then. That show has a heck ton of dogs getting ripped to pieces.

Out of curiosity is it possible for the BBFC to cut anime for animal cruelty?

Funnily enough - I don't actually mind the stuff in Jojos as much because a) I'm not a big fan of dogs (I'm not Dio, honest!) and b) they're not drawn as realistically, so it sort of lessens the impact if that makes sense? Jojos is just so OTT I find it harder to get emotional over stuff like that in it.

TBH OP. You can't go far wrong with older anime. Like you I've been off the boil somewhat, but I do stand to be corrected. The only recent anime I can recommend, generally, is Redline.

I really can't begin to recommend Gargantia On The Verdurous Planet highly enough to those of you out there who haven't already seen, a short but super enjoyable anime indeed :)

Had a think and I'd recommend

Cowboy Bebop
Berserk series (be warned it ends abruptly but it's still brilliant)
Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Tiger & Bunny
Monster (it's quite long but worth it)
Death Note
Baccano
Psycho Pass

Unit-00 said:
I'm going to be busy for a very long time at this rate :)

Haha pick and choose what u fancy and take your time. You 'll sufer burn out if you try and keep watching them consecutively. You could also do some research on Anime News Network and see what u think to each show before deciding to watch them.

Hope you don't mind me using yoiur thread to ask for some recommendations. Just finished Haganai and Hagania NEXT and looking for more of the same teen slice of life drama/light comedy, romance sort of shows.

Already got Anohana and will make a start on that tonight and earmarked the following:

Ben To
Bunny Drop
Chronicles of The Going Home Club
Eccentric Family
Genshiken
Gingitsune
Hanasaku Iroha
K-On
Kids on The Slope
Kimi Ni Todoke
Kokoro Connect
Mayo Chiki
Oreimo
Sankarea
Tari Tari
The Daily Lives of Boys
Toradora
Wagnaria
Watamote

ANy one got any more to add? These need to be shows available on DVD/Blu-Ray thanks :)

Seconding Toradora, it's probably the only light comedy/romance show I actually enjoyed (assuming nichijou doesn't fit into that bracket).

I think Watamote was meant to be a comedy, but I just ended up feeling really bad for Tomoko...

Recently I've been looking in to getting eureka seven or full metal panic (I've seen neither)and as I only have enough for one of these series at the moment I was wondering which should I pick up first?.

Type45 said:
Recently I've been looking in to getting eureka seven or full metal panic (I've seen neither)and as I only have enough for one of these series at the moment I was wondering which should I pick up first?.

Of the two I've only seen Eureka, and I thought it was pretty alright. Though after 50 episodes it might've been Stockholm syndrome.

Definitely had some high points, and it touches on all kinds of themes which was pretty interesting to watch. Though it does take on too much sometimes, and gets itself into a bit of a mess when doing so. The music made me buy a Supercar album too... AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE.

How are you going to be watching them? Unsure which is easier to get hold of physically, I'd probably just go with whatever is easier to pick up first.

Type45 said:

Ah, my mind was telling me "why not both" when i first read this, but seeing as you only have enough for one, i'd probably ask if you prefer a longer to shorter series or vise versa. If you prefer the former, Eureka Seven being 50-52 episodes is a good shout. It's good fun, has a superb soundtrack and i really enjoyed it. If you prefer the other hand, FMP is 24, and i still deem it my favourite series despite the flaws in it. It's not as strong as fumoffu or The Second Raid, but it's a good starting point, and you can't go wrong with it.

If i had to pick however, i'd probably let my bias take control and suggest Full Metal Panic. So we can go for that

Type45 said:

I've not seen Eureke Seven in full, but I enjoyed the recent reboot Astral Ocean well enough - although as others have commented the movie is... well, less said about the movie the better.

Full Metal Panic is brilliant - gets the blend of comedy and action just right, although the incongruity between the two takes a little getting used to. The main character - Chidori - is simply fantastic though, probably up there in my Top 10 anime female leads of all time.

If it comes down to a choice, go for Eureka Seven all the way.

Full Metal Panic's appeal has always mystified me. The Second Raid is spectacular, but the first series and Fumoffu both came off to me as overhyped. I'd even go as far as to say Fumoffu was painful at times.

I've no idea how easy it is to get hold of Eureka Seven on DVD / BD now, but if you can somehow grab the 50 episode series AND Astral Ocean, you'll be in for a really fun, lively mecha show. Avoid the movie, though. It really ain't no good. And being non-canonical, you're missing nothing for it.

I don't mind at all britguy, the more recommendations the better!

FMP is a show I overlooked at the time, I think the look of Bonta-kun from Fumoffu put me off.

Back