Review: Gundam SEED #3

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
I've reviewed the "mediocre" third volume of Gundam SEED, out now in the UK from Beez.<ul class="menu2">"The five episodes held on Gundam SEED #3 are a disappointing fall into mediocrity. By ignoring logic, the story begins to lose its appeal as a thinking series and reveals its potentially fatal lack of human quality. As ever, the mecha action is up to scratch but the characters are becoming wholly unlikable and frankly boring "one trick ponies". I hope that the next volume is a return to form otherwise Gundam SEED may struggle to reaffirm its sense of compelling personal struggle set against an all too efficient war."</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=199">Read the full review</a>.

I think I can endorse this scathing review of this volume. Not sure if for the EXACT same reasons mind you, as I was surprised that a review of volume 3 could make no mention of the fact that of a 5 episode volume, you actually only get 3 new episodes and 2 episodes of utterly aimless recap.

And Volume 4 has its moments, but don't expect too much. Like I commented for Volume 2, it doesn't really pick up pace until volume 6 onwards, which is a real shame.

kupoartist said:
I think I can endorse this scathing review of this volume. Not sure if for the EXACT same reasons mind you, as I was surprised that a review of volume 3 could make no mention of the fact that of a 5 episode volume, you actually only get 3 new episodes and 2 episodes of utterly aimless recap.

I was tempted to mention the recaps, but I thought they were done in interesting enough ways not to be such a waste of time, they more or less contributed to the general mediocrity of this volume. I will often skip these kind of the episodes, but kept watching because they presented familiar situations from alternative (and interesting) points of view.

And someone needs to put Lacus Clyne out of her misery. I don't mind musical interludes in anime (the Sharon Apple concert sequence in Macross Plus is amongst my favourite scenes of the OVAs) but the moments in Gundam SEED are just plain old embarrising.

I'll agree with you here totally; the early episodes are why Seed, for me, will never be the definate Gundam series. Lacus...well, she shows up, "sings" a cringeworthy verse of cheese and then goes on to act like a baby just brought into the world. I mean, yes, perhaps the war is kept under wraps at PLANT, but how can she be so ignorant to it all! She does get better though.

Recap episodes...hmm. I don't like them; they take up too much space in Seed; they really start to get annoying further in the series.

I agree with kupoartist. Seed doesn't really get going until the half way mark, where the plotline thickens and action increases. It's definatly a series you have to stick with to get the most out of, though.

Chomolungma said:
Lacus...well, she shows up, "sings" a cringeworthy verse of cheese and then goes on to act like a baby just brought into the world.
She comes off as extremely sheltered and immature. Definately Battle Cruiser commander / Resistance Leader material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back