Round up of news concerning anime and UK TV

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
We're barely into 2008, yet the rather dramatic and convoluted issue of anime on UK TV has continued to twist and turn its way into the new year.

&bull; Of course, the most saddening development is <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?t=8280">the sudden and still unexplained</a> departure of ADV UK's "Anime Network" TV channel from Sky Digital. Rather interestingly, its exit has coincided with <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-01-05/anime-network's-24/7-linear-service-discontinued">ADV US killing North America's</a> 24/7 "Anime Network" TV station too, leading to speculation (which certainly rings true with <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1558/anime-network-uk-part-ways-with-prensenters">Emma Vieceli's earlier dialogue</a>) that culling the UK's strand was simply a consequence of an ADV business decision.

&bull; On a more positive note, one of the many rumors surrounding "Anime Central" (the UK's other anime channel) suggests that <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?t=8327">ADV are in talks</a> to get some of their anime on that channel instead.
The other speculations involving Anime Central originate from a recent issue of NEO magazine, in which the <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=144959#144959">channel's spokesman Mark Buchanan claims</a> (in a dubious tone) that they intend to "subtitle Monster and get it on air" and go "24 hours a day, seven days a week", but given he ends the statement by claiming "everyone at Anime Central will spend at least Friday afternoons dressed in cosplay.", it remains to be seen whether or not the first two points are genuine plans for the future.

2004's "<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga)">Monster</a>" (thrilling crime drama set in Germany/central Europe) is a 74 episode TV epic often rated by fans as one of the finest anime of the decade, but due to its dark tone and unique characterization, it still hasn't been licensed for a North American DVD release, hence it airing on Anime Central (even in subtitled form) being a major coup for the channel.

&bull; Jetix UK have scheduled together their strand of anime programming (Shaman King, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Naruto and Viewtiful Joe) and <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?t=8344">acknowledged it</a> as their "AwesomEST Anime" block.

Paul said:
2004's "<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga)">Monster</a>" (thrilling crime drama set in Germany/central Europe) is a 74 episode TV epic often rated by fans as one of the finest anime of the decade, but due to its dark tone and unique characterization, it still hasn't been licensed for a North American DVD release, hence it airing on Anime Central (even in subtitled form) being a major coup for the channel.

It would be, I highly doubt Monster will ever air on American television. Monster if handled right could become must see cult tv.

J_C_X said:
Paul said:

It would be, I highly doubt Monster will ever air on American television. Monster if handled right could become must see cult tv.

Yeah it would definately get some cult following but I can see it being slated if the US start chopping and changing it to suit a wider audience

McIcy said:
J_C_X said:
Paul said:

Yeah it would definately get some cult following but I can see it being slated if the US start chopping and changing it to suit a wider audience

It's far too mature to air on Adult Swim US and Sci Fi, if it was it would have to be edited for content much like Blood+.

To remain unedited it would be left to HBO and Showtime, it's highly unlikely that they would pick it up. Anime is a niche market in America not enough for the big boys to notice.

I don't ever see Monster really being shown on TV but if it did get shown I think it would be best if they edited the series by merging two episodes and airing them as one giving the series a total of 37 episodes instead of 74. Because of the nature of the show I think it would fare a lot more better in an hour long block like most american drama shows.

But like I said I don't see it being aired on TV at all.

I think Monster would be canceled half-way through the run in favour of everyone's favourite anime: Full Metal Alchemist.

Which we've all seen several hundred times now and it's only good the first thirty.

Lupus Inu said:
Which we've all seen several hundred times now and it's only good the first thirty.
I actually liked the start and the end more. The middle seemed to drag from time to time but not that much. The movie was a decent but unneeded addition given the ending of the show (An ending which I'd actually take over the movie's end).

Sy said:
I don't ever see Monster really being shown on TV but if it did get shown I think it would be best if they edited the series by merging two episodes and airing them as one giving the series a total of 37 episodes instead of 74. Because of the nature of the show I think it would fare a lot more better in an hour long block like most american drama shows.

But like I said I don't see it being aired on TV at all.

With an upcoming American movie adaption I think that the chances of Monster appearing on UK tv is likely.

In my opinion I wouldn't rule out a run on a "high brow" channel.

Monster's a pretty random name to pull out of the hat if AC are indeed pulling our legs. My own feelings on this are that there has to be some truth in Mark's statements because why else would he bother to name-drop it? Andrew at Beez aside, I've never got the feeling that many of the UK industry people are into anime enough to follow something obscure like Monster, so it's either being directly pushed at AC by an official company (perhaps Viz's European offices, I mean Monster is based in Europe after all?) or someone else has strongly recommended it to them.

Paul said:
Monster's a pretty random name to pull out of the hat if AC are indeed pulling our legs. My own feelings on this are that there has to be some truth in Mark's statements because why else would he bother to name-drop it? Andrew at Beez aside, I've never got the feeling that many of the UK industry people are into anime enough to follow something obscure like Monster, so it's either being directly pushed at AC by an official company (perhaps Viz's European offices, I mean Monster is based in Europe after all?) or someone else has strongly recommended it to them.
I actually think it's upcoming Hollywood adaption. It might be quite obscure but after and if this comes to the big screen it could be one of the most well known series.

Don't forget it had a run on the high profile Canal Plus (France's equivelant to HBO).

Who knows if the Hollywood movie is going to even make it past the pre-production stages. Most of these so called adaptions don't. Also animation in france seems to be a more respected medium than in the UK so it's more likely for it to air on TV over there.

Until there's some more news where he specifically states that they are trying to make it happen i'm not going to be convinced because the from the quote it just sounded likehe was joking to me.

Sy said:
Who knows if the Hollywood movie is going to even make it past the pre-production stages. Most of these so called adaptions don't. Also animation in france seems to be a more respected medium than in the UK so it's more likely for it to air on TV over there.

Until there's some more news where he specifically states that they are trying to make it happen i'm not going to be convinced because the from the quote it just sounded likehe was joking to me.

I'm not going to deny it's a possibility he was joking, I myself take the comments with a pinch of salt.

Monster is currently being adapted by the team behind A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, with both receiving overwhelming positive reviews. Hopefully this proven track record can encourage New Line Cinema bring it to the big screen big screen. In my opinion the Monster adaption is in safe hands.

Why do you think Francis Ford Coppola is allowed any where near a directors seat :wink:

J_C_X said:
Why do you think Francis Ford Coppola is allowed any where near a directors seat :wink:
Lord knows. Not a fan of the mans work at all myself. He seems to have a tendancy of making movies with interesting concepts extremely stretched out and inexplicably dull.

I might as well point out that I didn't like A History of Violence as well and found it needless gratuitous at points. If these are the hands Monster is left in then I don't feel like it's safe at all. I think the most interesting aspect of Monster is that although it was extremely dark it was also incredibly restrained in it's approach.

Sy said:
The movie was a decent but unneeded addition given the ending of the show (An ending which I'd actually take over the movie's end).

Totally off-topic, but I'm glad someone else feels the same way about this.

As for Monster, surely the fact that's it's gone unlicensed for so long that it's got so much attention that it's bound to be licensed pretty soon? That kind of thing happens all the time. I've seen one episode of Monster - it was a random one, around episode 17 I think. It was at an anime club which seemed quite dull, so I didn't hang around.

If I remember right, at October Expo at one of the Question and Answer segments with the TV guys, Monster was mentioned then (to a good response from the audience), and it seemed to be something all the companies were interested in adapting and bringing to the UK. I guess since someone asked then, its been more on the minds of those in charge.

King Jimmeh said:
If I remember right, at October Expo at one of the Question and Answer segments with the TV guys, Monster was mentioned then (to a good response from the audience), and it seemed to be something all the companies were interested in adapting and bringing to the UK. I guess since someone asked then, its been more on the minds of those in charge.

It's possible Mark Buchanan could have obscurely referenced this incident.

I'd like to think it's something AnimeCentra have had planned or strived to since the channel launched.

Back